Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman - Super deluxe reissue coming in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

That's the LP? The CD set is $103.

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Rez is also getting a limited release on 12" yellow vinyl.

3. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Whats Rez, that could be tempting?

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Only the greatest dance floor single of that decade. Probably worth owning.:D

5. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Yeah it's just the double lp. So doesn't include all the bonus stuff (which is fine with me).

6. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Oh right, thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of YouTube myself.

Anyway, I've finally had a chance to listen to 215 Miles (am halfway through it now). It's very nice - pity there's no room for it on this reissue. But that's the problem with 20-minute remixes, I guess...

Will listen to Spoon Deep when I get the chance, but quick (or not) question to the experts here: are there any other vital mixes left off this reissue?

7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

This set really does a good job of pulling in the highlights of the mixes from this era, although yes it would have been nice to have another disc that could accommodate these long-form mixes. As someone said up the thread, the major omissions already appeared on the triple-disc "1992-2012" compilation. I also wouldn't have minded seeing a set of the remixes for other artists they did around this time; the mixes they did for Drum Club's "Sound System", Bjork's "Human Behaviour" and Saint Etienne's "Cool Kids of Death" are pretty damn crucial and epic. The biggest omission though in my opinion is a full live set. Their live sets from the Beaucoup Fish era and on are pretty well documented and many of them are "out there", in the parlance of our time. But there haven't been a whole lot of full live set recordings from these early days that have surfaced, this would have been a nice opportunity to put a well-chosen gig out there.

As a taste (albeit from 1996 and possibly outside the scope of this reissue), here's absolutely my favorite live track of theirs and probably my favorite live performance ever, the 15+ minute version of Rez/Cowgirl that closed out their set at the Reading Festival that year:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    jsb! and hutlock like this.
  8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Ugh. I already own most of this on original vinyl (the LP and almost all of the singles) but the stuff I don't have is still pretty essential. Looks like the Super Deluxe is for me. Ouch, my aching wallet!

9. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. Yes, their mix of 'Human Behaviour' is amazing. (Don't know the other two, either originals or their mixes.)

And thanks for posting that link. A fantastic performance indeed! (Listening now - never heard it before.)

10. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

And just to follow up again; that 'Thing in a Book' mix (which is included) is pretty amazing too. I don't know which one I like better, so it's a pity they both couldn't be there...

11. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I would absolutely love some 5.1 Underworld, really disappointed despite all the great stuff included here that they didn't do one. The three albums starting with dubnobass are my faves but there are at least two tracks off Oblivion and Barking that are top tracks worth buying the albums for (in each case it's the opening two tracks, or SIDE A of your vinyl purchase!)

I'd gladly pick up Everything, Everything as well if they'd release it on Blu-ray.

14. inaptitude

I'm really hoping the price of the double vinyl goes down in the next few weeks. I still have it pre-ordered through amazon.ca for $48, but that's a lot for a double album. Shows as import, which probably explains it. Wonder if it would ever get a cheaper domestic release?

15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I ordered the Blu-ray Audio from Amazon.ca for $22, if it turns out to be as hotly mastered as the .mp3s appear to be then I'll just sell it but I'm hoping it's a nice dynamic remastering.

[​IMG]

16. inaptitude

I ended up cancelling my pre-order for the double LP. Just couldn't pull the trigger on $50. Hopefully it will either see a price drop or be available domestically at some point.

17. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Blah, what's with the scrambled mix names on Disc 4? Could've named them properly...

18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I managed to get the deluxe when Amazon dropped the price to £28 briefly, it's on its way, hopefully have it soon

19. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

I waited until (almost) the last minute and ordered it on Saturday from Amazon.co.uk at the ₤53.99 price, which ended up around $80 after taking out VAT and adding shipping.

Somehow, it showed up today in Jersey City. The thing is gorgeous, can't wait to dig into it.

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Just a heads up whilst we're all waiting for our sets to be delivered. The lads are playing on BBC Radio 6 Music in eleven hours. Can't wait to hear them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ef5wrz

21. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

I gave the fourth disc a listen and it is absolutely sublime. If you're a fan of the album and are on the fence, this disc alone is totally worth it.

22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The CDs sound very good, not as wide open as the originals but on par with Barking and Daft Punk's last effort so in 2014 that's pretty commendable.
    Full DR log uploaded - http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/74917
    Overall the 5CD set is DR10.

tin ears likes this.
  23. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

As those are apparently early 'rough' versions I can handle the scrambled mix/take names on disc 4. It feels to me a bit like browsing through their archive. But the OCD guy in me doesn't like it at all how they (re)named some songs/mixes on the other discs. It messes up with the songs I already had (and ripped to my computer). So it's suddenly Mmm...Skyscraper I Love You (instead of Mmm Skyscraper I Love You). Dirty Epic (Dirty Guitar Mix) is now just Dirty Guitar, but Burts is suddenly called Dark & Long (Burts Mix), etc. And is Dirty what used to be called Dirty Epic (Dirty Mix), but if so, then why is it a minute shorter? Same with Dark & Long (Dark Train), though there the difference is about 30 seconds with the Dark & Long EP I have (then again, can you still call something an EP if it has 70+ minutes of music?).

It is a pet peeve of mine, artists not being consistent with naming their songs/mixes. I hate it.

24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Quick question. How do I listen to the whole tracks that were played live on BBC Radio 6 this morning? I can only access short clips of the songs. Thanks!

25. serge

serge Forum Resident

I want it but will wait..I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it.... I've had a ton of it.. I have the original vinyl... my favorite Underworld release is the Dirty Epic/Cowgirl EP on Waxtrax...sublime

wondeful band and album fully deserving of this release.. a shame they couldn't keep it going after their DJ left.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.