Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Well, here goes : I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people find the sitcom "The Big Bang Theory" so funny. The laugh track alone drives me up the wall. The laugh track never goes longer than 10 seconds or so before being activated. It's as if the producers are using a the track as a subliminal trigger encouraging watchers to react the same. I just don't find the show funny at all. I do respect the tastes and opinion of other people in such matters. But I personally do not find anything about this sitcom the least bit funny.:hide:

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Any movie starring Will Ferrell. I think he's funny in skit comedy though.

Drifter and goodiesguy like this.
  3. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Well, I'm a bit late in answering your question since I joined this site yesterday. There is one Finnish comedy movie that I've seen a couple of times & that I liked very much. It was "Leningrad Cowboys Go America". I thought it was absolutely brilliant. As a matter of fact I'm going to try and get the DVD if it's still available.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'll be curious to see how Schumer's looks are treated, as my memory of the trailer is that a lot of the jokes contrast her new "hot" view of herself with her "not hot" reality.

I wouldn't consider Schumer to be a babe, but as I mentioned, I do think she's attractive. The notion she'd get zero attention on an online dating site doesn't match reality! :)

5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

He'll always be Al Bundy to me!

[​IMG]

Jerryb likes this.
  6. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I think South Park pretty much summed up Amy Schumer:

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too...

goodiesguy likes this.
  8. Superbad was a genuinely funny movie. Every one of the multidinous knockoffs I've watched since, including adult versions like The Hangover, has been somewhere between markedly inferior and a complete waste of time. In my considered opinion, of the ones that I've auditioned. Granted, that is by no means all of them.

I don't know what the hell James Franco and Seth Rogen think they're doing, other than slandering cannabis by associating it with their movies. I turned off This Is The End halfway through. I've never been able to make it through more than five minutes of Pineapple Express.

By contrast, I found a lot to like in Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong's Next Movie and Nice Dreams. (Haven't seen the first one.) Those guys know how to make low comedy work. They click as a duo in those films. Some of the scenes are hysterically funny.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    ianuaditis and Hymie the Robot like this.
  9. Trainwreck had its moments but it was too long, Bill Hader was woefully miscast in a miswritten role, and John Cena stole the show.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought Hader was fine.

LeBron was the one who really stole the show!

11. LeBron was good, but it was Cena and his attempts at dirty talk that had me laughing out loud.

As for Hader: he wasn't awful, but it was a bad decision IMHO to cast him in a romcom role that didn't play to his comic strengths. Also, why a character in his position was attracted to a character as unappealing as Schumer's I have no idea. Other than the plot required it, of course.

DHamilton and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

He has made quite a few clunkers but Old School and Stepbrothers work for me. I like Talladega Nights more now than when it came out.

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

"Slandering Cannabis" might be my favorite thing I've read on this forum. The end of "This is the End" is pretty funny, absurd, but funny. Same with Pineapple, Danny McBride is funny in both at the end.

ianuaditis and Lownote30 like this.

14. Will Ferrell is hit or miss. Like sketch comedy itself. I think he's pretty funny in the Anchorman movies. Elf is a good Christmas movie. Talladega Nights is a funny movie, but it wouldn't be nearly as funny without John C. Reilly.

15. I'll keep that in mind when I'm channel-surfing, if I hit the last 30 minutes of either of them. I think Danny McBride is funnier than either Franco or Rogen. (I continue to think that their pal Jonah Hill has greatness locked away in there somewhere. But he needs the right part, the right script, the right concept, the right film.)

My big takeaway after I switched off This Is The End was "CGI sure has made filmmakers lazy."

Dennis0675 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  16. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I think almost every "Apatow Joint" is about 30 minutes too long. He's pretty good at his craft but could seriously use an editor sometimes.

Strat-Mangler and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Gods Must Be Crazy being the exception that proves the rule.

TheLazenby likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I loved Anchorman but the sequel wasn't much for me.

John C. Reilly in Walk Hard was tough sledding, I din't make it to the end of that one.

Michael Rose likes this.
  19. I agree, the Anchorman sequel was not nearly as good as the original. I don't think I'd bother watching it again, except for Christina Applegate.

20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

The funniest part was the tripping in Vegas scene. Other than that, agreed.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Judd Apatow stopped being funny when he decided to become James L. Brooks. And failed.

I've never liked any comedies where the premise revolves around men dressed up like women. "Some Like It Hot", "Tootsie", etc. I just sit their stone-faced.

I like adult movies

geralmar and Spaghettiows like this.
  22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I love JCR, and I really wanted to Love 'Walk Hard'. :sigh:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Completely true. Apatow is brilliant, but he's so far up his own ass that he might never find his way out. Too bad he didn't realize that TV is his true medium.

But in the case of Super Bad, it's one of two movies I've seen in its first run (the other being National Lampoon's Animal House) where there were 30, 40-second stretches when you couldn't hear any dialogue because a people filling a packed theater were laughing so hard.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not really. Check the reviews of her latest comedy special.

Amy Schumer: The Leather Special (2017) - IMDb

She's also quite known for being a joke thief.

DHamilton, goodiesguy and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Haven’t seen it, or her latest movie. But, saying she’s unfunny, when her previous work is something I laughed at, with a theater crowd doing the same is perplexing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.