Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

Tag. It was just awful.

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Really? Too bad. I was kind of looking forward to it. I like the concept.

Maybe because it is supposedly based on actual events? I've seen that a lot of movies based on actual events tend to lack some entertainment value.

3. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, it's really more of an "American Graffiti" type film than something like an "Animal House","Porky's" or "Hollywood Knights".

I was always hoping that Linklater would do a sequel with that cast to see what became of the characters, especially Pink.

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the film. It has some funny bits in the first half (my personal favorite being one man's threat to, um, defile his friend's favorite childhood stuffed animal), but the second half is much more plot and exposition than laughs. That being said, the film hit a nostalgic chord for me - I'm about the same age as the characters, and I had a bunch of buddies like this and now we're spread all over the country.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Everybody Wants Some! was originally intended as a sequel that would follow at least a couple of the characters into college, but by the time it got made too much time had passed. It was OK, but it wasn't a patch on Dazed - you never get involved with any of the characters, it's all pretty surfacey.

Duke Fame likes this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, didn't see it but had heard that was the original intent. The thing is, it didn't have to be set in the 80's. It could've been as many years after 1976 as the amount of years since the original film. My thinking was that Pink doesn't come back for senior year of football and the movie covers what effect that had on him and his relationship with the other guys over the years, at least as the central theme of the movie, considering Pink was really the lead character in Dazed.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

The Three Amigos

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Anything with a laugh track

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"It's Never Funny in Philadelphia"

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Spies like us

Two broke girls

Comedy company

11. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Almost anything with Jim Belushi or Steve Martin in it.

12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I don't agree at all.
    But I will say that while Martin is very funny in person (live) and I love his sense of humor it does not always translate as well in his films. On the other hand it comes close at times.

goodiesguy, Zoot Marimba and Moshe like this.
  13. A guilty pleasure of mine.

yesstiles, Duke Fame and Moshe like this.
  14. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I like both Steve Martin and Martin Short a lot.
    I just didn’t think the movie was all that funny.
    Everyone I know who’s seen it, feels pretty much the same as you.
    I went to see it with two friends when it came out. I didn’t laugh nearly as much as my two friends did.
    They loved it.

Zoot Marimba and Pete Puma like this.
  15. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's one of those films where all the funny bits were in the trailer.

goodiesguy, Panama Hotel and Moshe like this.
  16. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

No need to hide because I thought it was terrible as well. That movie came out when I was in high school and people I knew just loved it and I honestly never found it all that funny. I think there are only so many times I can stand to watch Will Ferrel as a annoying manchild.

I will add that most Adam Sandler movies are terribly unfunny and just outright terrible movies. I will say Happy Gilmore is great but I put a lot of that down to Christopher McDonald who was Shooter McGavin and not Sandler in the titular role though I think this is one better Sandler performances. But for a guy who has been as prolific as he has been over the last 20+ years his bad more than outweighs his good.

Zoot Marimba and Splungeworthy like this.
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Spies like us

I like Chevy Chase but some stuff is lame IMHO.

18. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

"Mr. Woodcock" is a terrible and stupid comedy. What a waste of Susan Sarandon and Billy Bob Thornton. It's so bad, I kept expecting Steve Martin or Jim Belushi to show up and really send it down the toilet.

19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I saw him live around 1978. Very funny guy in a tough business.

I think Roxanne is a brilliant film. Martin wrote and starred in it. Possibly a high point in his career.
    The Jerk is more tied to his early stand-up persona. Silly? Sure. But quite entertaining.
    All of Me and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, wonderful movies, both worth checking out.
    The Man With Two Brains and Pennies From Heaven, heck, I think they're great.

Overall, although his latest movies might be considered more mainstream Hollywood, there is no doubt that he's a genuinely talented comedic actor/entertainer.

20. Not by a long shot. Scenes like when the bandits got El Guapo a sweater for his birthday, or when Short explains to the Mexican Kids his encounter with Lillian Gish are the examples of some of the subtle comedy this movie had in spades. Another example is when Rusty asks his Mexican peasant hosts if they have anything to eat besides Mexican food.

Duke Fame likes this.
  21. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Planes Trains and Autos didn't suck. When I think of poor Martin movies, I am really thinking of movies I did not even see. Father of the Bride movies, Cheaper by the Dozen, others. Can anyone comment on these movies? (I'm disqualified)

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Adam's movies he's making for Netflix are truly terrible. I watched 2 of them and could not believe how bad they were. It was like a traffic accident unfolding. Happy Gilmore remains the only one of his movies I can enjoy (so far).

23. AirJordanFan93

I haven't seen any of the Netflix stuff but I have seen them advertised while browsing and yes they look pretty terrible. There is a reason he and his buddies are now relegated to making movies for Netflix and not proper cinema releases like they had done for years.

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My wife and I tried to watch "The Week Of" a few weeks ago and only made it about 20 minutes before we had to shut it down. It was one of the worst things that we had seen in a long time.

25. AirJordanFan93

Thats the most recent one with Chris Rock in it right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.