Unhappy with Ortofon OM 20

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Moonchild, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thoroughly agree. If records are not in the mint minus region or better, you're bound to get loads of clicks and pops

2. Moonchild

Already done so to no avail

3. Moonchild

Anybody's tried the nagaoka mp 110 in comparison?

4. Moonchild

Is it a good tracker?

5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

As far as I can see.

6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

OM30 is one of my favorites - probably my second fav.

Heckto35 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You'll have to get the Stylus 30 to do much better there. After looking at your system profile, I will say that if it were me that I would be looking at a better phono stage. That is your weak link. You haven't really heard what the Super OM20 can do yet. It has excellent bass and while a little brighter than neutral in many systems, it can be smoothed out by a good match to a phono preamp. I will recommend the Rega Fono MM. It has only 100pf of capacitance and overall better build. It will really smooth out the response of your cartridge and should allow for even greater resolution while doing so.
    -Bill

Heckto35 likes this.
  8. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Sounds like OP doesn't have a Super, so that's a limitation right there...

9. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I had one of these too. I never liked it. It sounded sterile, lacked bass, and was too thin and trebley . I also tried an Orotfon Blue. I decided I just must not be a fan of the Ortofon "house sound" I replaced it with a Nagaoka MP-150 and it was like night and day. Just what i wanted. It sounds very natural, but is fuller. The midrange is smooth, highs are clear but never piercing, and the bass is clear and accurate. Overall, it has a more full bodied and punchy sound while being balanced across the board. If you buy an MP-150 and like it, you can upgrade the stylus to the JNP-200 at a later date, or stick with the 150 stylus.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Heckto35 likes this.
  10. Moonchild

Exactly how I feel. Just as you described: sterile, bass thin and trebly. Maybe I should take the Nagaoka route then.
    I just wanted some reassuring opinions before forking out some more cash. Thanks for chiming in.

dbsea and juno6000 like this.
  11. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

When I bought my MP-150 I was using a project Debut III and a Project Phonobox S
    The cartridge swap made a huge difference. The reason I mention the 150 over the 100 or 110 cartridges is that it is a much better cart than the two below it. I would say it would be your best bet and if you improve your system the cart is good enough to keep for a long time. It also has a bit more oomph than the 200, which has a lower output level.

12. Moonchild

Thanks for the tip!

13. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Just to be aware of, when changing cartridges without taking loading into the equation, you are comparing cartridge AND phono stage. The OM line can sound both bright, dark and neutral, the same goes for Nagaoka. Just change the loading! The unfortunate thing is that no or only a few phono stages have user adjustable load for capacitance and resistance (Muffsy phono is one). The results is "cartridge swapping" and that cartridges are said to be inherently bright or dark.

MusicNBeer, Heckto35 and cmcintyre like this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

A few dollars and a soldering iron can fix that without even touching the preamp ... :)

Schiit Mani + Debut Carbon SB + 2m Blue = happy ears

15. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Ian of HiViNyws channel got good results when mating the MP-150 with the Schiit Mani. Although looking at his scoring system it seems to have performed only marginally better than the MP-110.

16. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I would not put a lot of faith in this guys reviews. I can straight up say there is a world of difference between those two cartridges. Not that either one is bad. But there is a huge difference. Isn't this the guy who trashed the lounge audio preamp? Not that I own one, but I thought that was harsh and undeserved

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I downgraded my secondary table from a 2m Bronze to a Nagaoka MP-110 and couldn't be happier. The Bronze is a great cart in many ways, but it can be bright and picks up a lot of surface noise. It just wasn't working for me, particularly since I listen to the secondary system almost exclusively with headphones. I'm sure I'll find a way to incorporate it into a more complimentary system sometime in the future.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. Moonchild

As for me, these are reassuring comments steering me into the right direction

dbsea likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sure M97xE

H8SLKC likes this.
  20. rasputin1

rasputin1 Well-Known Member

Nagaokas are very good cartridges, but so are Ortofons and ATs. It all comes down to taste and compatibility with your tone arm. My tone arm is the Thorens TP90 and it is a marriage made in heaven when paired with MP110, 150 or 200. I have all three and they all sound great on Thorens tables using the TP90 (standard on TD2001, TD320 mk3, TD160S mk5). The TP90 is in fact ideal for these cartridges compliance wise. At 14grams effective mass according to HIFI Choice it is a perfect match to the 11-15 dynamic compliance (@10hz) of the Nagaokas. I have used these cartridges for a couple years on this arm and the results are uniformly superb. Dynamics, resolution, pace, space and bass are all spectacular. The TP90 is a very rigid and stable platform, unlike many lower mass arms. The aforementioned Thorens tables carry this arm as well as Thorens’ thickwall brass bearing (Thorens’ answer to Linn’s Cirkus?). The rigid arm/bearing combo on these tables bring out the best from these cartridges. The downside of course is that the TP90 comes only on these few select models - all made in the early 90s before Thorens golden era came to an end (the older TD320 mk2 also has the TP90 but doesn’t come with the upgraded bearing and so is not as good as the mk3 IMHO). If these tables were made today they would easily sell for $3k-$4k. The latest TD350 has a similar design to the TD2001 is an example of the value of these turntables.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.