Unintended Consequences: Reel to Reel Tape

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Feirstein, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

an optical disc still contains material in some form of proprietory digital format, unless it is inscribed in analog form like the early Philips analog video laser discs of the late 70's.

in 30 years time, tape will still be around; optical discs, HD's and stuff won't.

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

in 30 years time Tape will still be around?
    I do not think so.

3. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I think it will stick around. They said that about vinyl, and it is still here. 30 years ago, they also said that about tubes, and they never went away.

Also 30 years ago they said that we would be living on Mars, driving cars that go 200 MPH, and also they said that the earth would be split in half by an atomic bomb. Did it happen, no. And they said that the Beatles would never have longevity. There is simply no way to tell what is going to happen.

IMO tape is going nowhere.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I may not be but some of my EMTEC masters probably will be. I wonder if my Hard Drive will last this long? I doubt it...

Bob

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

My EMTEC masters sure will be! It will be a joy to play them in 30 years, and laugh at all of the jokers that trusted hard drives!!

Hmmm, maybe I should go into the data recovery field!! :D :D

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

THAT is a serious consideration for all of us!

7. Joe Nino-Hernes

We are bringing it on ourselvs by using digital as a storage meduim.

8. wes

wes Senior Member

The funny thing is........ After all the tapes and hard drives dissintegrate after a thousand years, guess what will still be around to be played?........ Those trusty LP's........ Vinyl will outlast them all.... As long as there's no warpage or to much playing......

-Wes

9. Joe Nino-Hernes

I agree. Vinyl is the ultimate storage meduim.

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Actually, I have some clients that use DMM as the ultimate storage medium. It can handle a lot of factors that could destroy vinyl, but has most all of vinyl's benefits. Warpage and overplaying are not big factors here. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.