Unipivot Arms... let’s talk carts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Funky54, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

So if you use a unipivot arm, please share what mass and what carts you have tried and how they compared.

I’m using a Nema Unipivot arm and I have compared the following:
    Dynavector 10x5
    Glodring 1042
    Roksan chorus black
    Sure xm97xe w/jico sas
    AT 33E
    AT 33PTG II
    AT 33 SA
    Truthfully each change was a step up from the one previous. Although the AT33E is probably equal to the PTGII. My arm is midweight. Would love to hear your experiances?

2. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

On a VPI Scout with the JMW 9 inch arm I use a Dynavector DV-20X. Never felt the need to try anything else as it tracks well with that tonearm. I'm sure there is better out there though.

toddrhodes likes this.
  3. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I have a VPI Classic Signature with the 3D printed arm. Started of with a Dynavector 10x5 which was on my old table and it sounded great.
    Upgraded to a Benz Micro Wood SL which sounds better. No desire to try anything else as I doubt it would sound better at that price point and I'm not prepared to move into crazy money for a cart territory.

Actually happy where my system is at.

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

My biggest regret in audio life was to sell my Naim Aro.
    I used it with A Linn Troika,
    Dynavector 17D2
    Unipivots are lovely.

5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I used a 10x5 and 20XLO dynavectors on my VPI

6. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

I use a Shure VxMR on my Mayware Formula IV unipivot. It is such a pain in the ass to reset and rebalance that I dread replacing the cartridge. With this arm, best to leave well enough alone.

7. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I have three unipivot arms. Two are Nottinghams.One is an Ace Space at 13.5g that I run a Benz Glider on and the other is an Interspace at 11.25g that has a Grado Sonata Reference 1. Both are terrific matches. I also have an Audio Craft Ac-400C. I haven't mounted that arm yet, but am planning on a Denon DL-304 for it.

8. IMFXL

IMFXL Forum Resident

I used a VPI JPW 9 tonearm for close to ten years paired with a Dynavector 20xM VPI edition cart. Only just recently I upgraded to the newer JPW 3D 10" arm with a new VPI Prime, and used the same 20XM cart for a few months with even better results than the JPW9. I'm now running a Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua with the 3D arm and couldn't be more pleased. True three dimensional sound reproduction. After this I could say with confidence you could likely pair just about any Dynavector cart with the VPI uni pivot arms and the sound would be great. Just the level of greatness could increase as the level of cart increases.

What I'm waiting for now is the dual pivot assembly from VPI. It should arrive shortly and I'm curious if it will add to the sound or take away from the uni-pivot characteristics. From reviews and what others have told me it actually widens the soundstage which for me is one of the most important characteristics of cart and arm pairing.

9. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

Hadcock GH228 (9.5g effective I recall, but I may be mistaken) with a Nagaoka MP110 -- sounds wonderful, tracks everything perfectly, and the thought of upgrade has never crossed my mind.

Oh, and used on a (highly-) sprung subchassis deck (STD 305M). How's that for heresy?

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've used a few different Lyra's and a Shure V15VxMR and they all work just fine on my VPI Classic / JMV 10.5 tonearm. Never a tracking problem anywhere.

11. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Are you suggesting there are some cartridge compatibility issues unique to unipivots? I haven’t run into any problems with the various unipivots I have owned over the years. These include JH Formula 4 (similar to Mayware), the original VPI JMW arm, and Analog Instruments Siggwan. Of these the Siggwan is clearly the best sounding and it remains one of my two current arms the other being a Triplanar VIi.

Cartridges used long term on the unipivots range from Shure V15 IIIG and IVG, Astatic MF-200, Grado MCZ, Benz Glider II and Wood L2, and Denon 103R. No problems whatsoever with any of these.

12. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I loved the SoundSmith Zephyr II so much on my VPI Classic that I went with the Zephyr III when I upgraded to a Classic 2 SE.

13. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

I am using a 12" 3D printed arm on my VPI Classic 4 paired with a Soundsmith Paua MK II cartridge and absolutely love it! Much lower surface noise with blacker background than my previous set-up.

14. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I have not had any problems running any particular cartridge in either of the two unipivot arms I've owned--a Graham 1.5t and my current Basis Vector 4 arm. The cartridges I've used include a Lyra Titan, a Transfiguration Orpheus L, and a Lyra Helikon.

15. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

I have an Immedia RPM2 table and arm (pic from internet) like this. The arm is an oil-damped unipivot, medium mass type, and works perfectly with my London Reference cartridge -- in continuous use now for over ten years.

[​IMG]

16. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Can verify this.I have used an Aro on my LP12 since 1991.Great.Had a Trioka in it initially but for the last few years I've had Dynavectors.Currently D173.Very happy.

17. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I envy you.

18. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I'm on a VPI Classic witb 10.5i arm. Carts from most enjoyed to least:

Zyx Fuji
    Sumiko Blackbird
    Soundsmith Zephyr
    Shelter 501mk2

The Zyx and Blackbird wrre my favorites (the later eventually was retipped by SoundSmith and even more enyoyed after that). The Zephyr was good if a little too relaxed for my tastes. Didn't like the Shelter at all - it just never had any magic for me.

All used in same system and same phono pre at one point.

19. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Well, the DL-304 didn't work out all that well as the the match was just on the limit in terms of compliance. Currently running a Benz Gold that was retipped with a boron/microridge combination and it is sounding really fine. Challenging arm to set up, to say the least!

20. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Moerch UP-4, 4 g effective mass, 600 000 cst damping oil.

Works good with Shure V15Vx/JICO SAS and Ortofon OM.

The arm needs the damping oil to be stable. With the damping oil it behaves similar to a standard pivoted arm when cueing, not wiggling at all. Without it you can both hear and measure increased distortion. (Some use the arm without damping which I cannot understand.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.