Unique two channel/twin track stereo mix of the Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyH, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member Thread Starter

Never heard this, where can I get it? Is it on any of Dr. E's efforts?

Can someone please post a snippet to wet my appetite?

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Past Masters Vol 1?

3. JohnnyH

Hi Mal

Not that one, I mean the 'vocals right, instruments left' mix. as per PPM and WTB.

It was on a 60's Australian LP I believe, but I've got no hope of finding (or affording) that one ;)

John

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Uh, no.

That's the 1966 stereo remix done at the time for the LP "A Collection Of Beatles Oldies."

Get the Australian orange label reissue 45 form the later 70's/early 80's. It also has the true stereo "This Boy" on the flip side.

The vocals will all be panned over on the right channel on both sides.

This mix supposedly is also on the Australian LP "20 (23) Greatest Hits" from 1982.

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Ah, I see - you mean a "twin track" mix :thumbsup:.

I actually have the Aussie mix on a CD somewhere - I'll make an mp3 for you......

:)

6. JohnnyH

Thanks Mal :)

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

How 'bout posting about a minute of it here so the folks can hear this unique stereo version of I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND?

8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

It also appeared in the 1982 Australia Singles Collection box. Despite the wide stereo, it is great. Almost as punchy as the mono mix, but with greater air and detail. I just wish it had some center channel information...

Dale

9. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Isn't this the mix with the lead guitar fills in the center?

10. Steve Hoffman

This mix is great and it beats that sh***y 1966 stereo mix that is used on PAST MASTERS, etc., one of the worst (if not THE worst) Beatles' stereo mix in history.

11. JohnnyH

A clip of the twin-track 'This Boy' would be interesting too...

12. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

It appeared on the Beatles "World's Best" boot from some years back...

Dale

13. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I don't have it here with me, but I don't think so. I seem to remember wide channel, separate vocals and instruments, but again, I don't have it here, so...

Dale

14. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

Can someone put a minute of it up? And then a minute of the atrocious 1966 mix that is still in wide use?

15. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

The best I've ever heard this song sound (if you can handle the wide stereo), including original mono. And, the only real stereo of it I've ever heard. Killer bass on that.

Dale

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Why on earth did Martin think this mix was inferior? The only reason we have heard it is because the wrong tape was sent to Australia...unbelivable. And This Boy sounds damn good too....very strange choices were made back then. Ron

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm working on it! :)

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Pull out Past Masters 1, that's the 1963 mix (in fact the only one that's ever been issued)...

As Steve said, both IWTHYH and This Boy have the lead guitar centered, so they aren't exactly "twin track".

I don't know if it's the mix or mastering, but I'm partial to the 1965 stereo mix of IWTHYH, as found on various German LPs. Alas I don't have a clip posted, just the whole thing.

19. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Here you go...from the Australia Singles Collection.

This mp3 is a bit maximized, not my doing... "I Want To Hold You Hand" - 2 track mix

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Is it me but this very morning whilst burning a all true stereo Meet The Beatles copy I used the IWTHYH from #1's and this sounded different to the version on Past Masters 1 - has centered vocals. I thought most of that compilation (#1's) was supposed to come fron 'the original analogue stereo masters'. Any thoughts?

Candy

21. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

PM1 and "1" both feature the 1966 mix with centered vocals.

As far as original masters go, though, they did continue to use the Help remixes.

And the 1963 mix isn't twin-track!

23. Another Side

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I was talking about This Boy.

This Boy - all stereo releases are the 1963 mix, with vocals on the right and lead guitar centered.

IWTHYH - 1963 mix (vocals right, lead guitar centered) on those AU releases. 1965 mix (vocals centered, lead guitar right) on various German releases. 1966 mix (vocals centered, lead guitar right) on A Collection of Beatles Oldies, 20 Greatest Hits, PM1, etc.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-1963.html

25. Another Side

That is much better. Oddly enough the lead guitar in the center is not as distracting as it is on the common stereo mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.