Universal and Sony Hong Kong SACD, K2 HDCD, UltraHD CD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, May 23, 2016.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It sounds good.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Release date of 3-3-17 but nothing is available.

3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Is The Stranger available yet? I can't find it anywhere.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have the UltraHD32 version of Kind of Blue, and several SACD versions (US, Japan, Mobile Fidelity). The 32 Bit sounds very very good. I like the Mobile Fidelity best, and then perhaps the 32 bit, and then the two other SACDs. They all sound really great to me.

toilet_doctor and noname74 like this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I can't find any of these anywhere.

ti-triodes likes this.
  8. texquad

texquad Senior Member

With these new Hong Kong re-issues coming out would it be the time to sell my original titles before the market gets saturated.
    I have been thinking about selling off some of these same SACD's in my collection. So is now the time to make the move?

9. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Who knows?

On one hand

The number of SACDs being pressed of each title is small (at least for now).

There are queries on this forum as to how to buy these limited edition SACDs because they're not advertised well outside the Japan/Hong Kong etc which suggests to me that many people in the US/Europe will only discover these SACDs after they're OOP, thus upping their value.

No-one can be quite certain how good the new SACDs are until audition.​

On the other hand

Blu-Spec CD2 & HQCD/UHQCD can offer equivalent or better sound quality (IMO) which may render these discs obsolete should they be reissued in these formats, of which there's no certainty but which if it did occur would reduce their value.

Streaming may offer better quality sound than it does already (but even if it does people like myself will want to own the physical product).​

I've never had much success in predicting the stock market, value of the £ etc but hopefully this will give you some ideas of the different issues to consider.

10. texquad

texquad Senior Member

They are now showing up on eBay!

11. toilet_doctor

Upgrading my collectables to new releases - that what I do, but sometimes I regret I did.
    In this case new ones cannot sound worse than old, jut the same or better due to contemporary pressing. No risk to try and it's good experience too.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Never too late but you would have been better off selling before these clones came out IMO. There are always people who want the originals though so someone will buy your stuff.

13. toilet_doctor

Tullman, it recently happened to me with 'Japan" band releases.
    Out of stock means they will restock them soon.
    You have to buy them there and wait - they will come sooner or later with numbers 900 instead of 120 which are gone.

14. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    They all are not "out of stock", but in the "back order".
    That means: they (more likely) can get only unnumbered second print nobody knows when.

http://www.importcds.com/search?q=Single-Layer&mod=AP

Sorry about that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  15. toilet_doctor

You cannot jock with 1000 copies of Pop titles (for $28) in 5.1, which were remixed in a good way in a first place.
    Believe me or not, but one smart-ass from Germany already selling them for $105:
    SACD SL Multichannel Billy Joel - The Stranger NEU rare Super Audio Single-Layer | eBay
    He put in the listing "rare", while they are widely available on eBay almost 3 times cheaper, and named himself smart-cab.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^ Yep, it looks like all of the sellers on eBay bought the copies. Online dealers didn't get any.

So, is this strictly limited to 1000 copies? Or is it let's sell the first batch and if that goes well, we can press more.

17. toilet_doctor

I think they will go beyond the numbers, like K2HD Elvis, Santana and the others. MoFi SACDs are Stereo, but many Collectors are desperate to hear something from behind. And demand will only rise, since a lot of people simply don't know about reissue. Besides, it works like that: if people are buying them, I might need it too.

Amazon and barnsandnoble.com claim: "Temporarily Out of Stock" - they maybe able to get more of numbered, but their prices higher than on eBay. I would buy from eBay - HK dealers do safe packaging and discount on the multiple purchase shipping.

18. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I did just that--pulled the trigger on Tapestry at ~$33 + $7 for shipping packet.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I pruchased Celine Dion from Ebay. Cost me $8 more than importcds, no big deal.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

hifi-cd.com has the Billy Joel, Celine Dion and Carole King SACDs in stock.

"Friday Night in San Francisco" and original movie soundtrack to "My Fair Lady" are set to be released on March 17th. First 500 copies will be individually numbered.

[​IMG]

21. toilet_doctor

Thank you, soundbou, for watching them carefully. This information is very important.

What I see, previous releases don't stop them (I mean Friday Night Hybrid SACD).
    I never thought they would go down to 500 copies. Did they mention how many copies for the first 3 SACDs?

Update:

Sony HK Single Layer 5.1 SACD Numbered Series

March 3, 2017

Carole King Tapestry + 2
    Celine Dion All The Way...A Decade Of Song
    Billy Joel The Stranger

March 17, 2017

Al di Meola, McLaughlin & Deluca Friday Night in San Francisco (500 numbered copies)
    My Fair Lady (OST) (500 numbered copies)

22. toilet_doctor

Here is My Fair Lady original 2001 release with the same barcode 6969989663962.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turmatic likes this.
  23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Billy Joel, Celine Dion and Carole King were limited to 500 individually numbered copies.

Just think....Michael Jackson's "Thriller" could possibly getting reissued on SACD. With the 5.1 multi-channel mix??

24. toilet_doctor

Update:

Sony HK Single Layer 5.1 SACD Numbered Series (500 copies)

March 3, 2017

Carole King Tapestry + 2
    Celine Dion All The Way...A Decade Of Song
    Billy Joel The Stranger

March 17, 2017

Al Di Meola John McLaughlin Paco de Lucia Friday Night in San Francisco
    My Fair Lady (OST)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  25. toilet_doctor

It's good that nobody knows about only 500 copies... I may be able to grab one Thriller copies and will report on a sound here.