Universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claus, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Linn and Denon have produced the first universal players with DVD-A and SACD drive. Great news...

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow!

Are they separate drives? How do they differ from the Pioneer Elite?

Any links?

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Go to this link

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Wow!!! The pioneer DV-563A is going to be under 300 bucks?

I wonder if it plays MP3s?

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yea, but it does not have true SACD playback.

A quote:

Pioneer Electronics brought a ray of sunshine for the budget conscious with its DV-563A progressive scan player, which plays both DVD-Audio and SACD stereo and multi-channel discs – for a projected price of $279! There’s no such thing as a free lunch, of course – the player achieves this economy and flexibility by internally converting SACD’s native DSD bitstream to PCM . SACD purists will gasp, gnash, and wail, but the player nevertheless offers an opportunity for even casual consumers to enjoy their favorite software titles without having to worry about format compatibility.

Isn't that like converting the high res layer to redbook? Then whats the point - the high res layer will sound like redbook.

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

While I would rather the DSD be kept DSD, there is at least on highly rated player that converts DSD to PCM - the Accuphase. PCM isn't necessarily a bad thing folks - a number of highly touted Sony SACDs were sourced from hi-rez PCM masters, no to mention the whole Chesky SACD catalogue.

P.S.
    I have to wonder when people claim to like Chesky's SACDs better than their DVD-A or DADs.

- Gabe

7. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Gabe,

That's an interesting point and I wasn't aware that Chesky was doing this.
    What matters is the sound quality. If Chesky is doing this with their entire catalog I'm curious as to why they are doing it.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'll be checking out the Denon when it arrives in stores.

I love their receivers, so a Denon universal cd/sacd/dvda player would be right up my alley.

9. GabeG

GabeG New Member

All of Chesky's original recordings are 24/96 and have been for years. The reason they are doing SACDs is simple - they sell and are cheap to produce.

In truth, I'm told, moving from one digital to another isn't as harmfull as one would think. Apparently this is true as Chesky's SACDs do sound quite good. However, of the stuff I also have on DVD-A or DAD, I can't say the SACDs sound better. Actually they sound a little different (warmer), but I wouldn't say better.

- Gabe

10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

How does a DSD to PCM conversion work? Isn't the quality of the result related to the bitrate used? I mean, DSD would only be as poor as redbook if something near 16b/44.1khz was utilized in the conversion...or does the standard bitrate language not apply here?

Mark

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

DSD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.