Universal SACD Jewel Box Damage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stever, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

Do any of you have the same problems with the Universal super audio jewel boxes? They seem to be much too fragile!

I've purchased 10 Universal SACDs (Police, Elton John, Derek & the Dominos) in the past three weeks, and five of them either had a crack in the outer case, a broken tab inside the case, or the inner tray was broken in some manner.

Should I email Universal for replacements? The consumer shouldn't have to be investing in replacement SACD jewel boxes!

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have gotten lucky in that most of my SACD jewel boxes from Universal are fine. I always did notice, though, that many times the SACD jewel cases used by Universal, even though they seem to be the same "super jewel box" used for other SACDs, is less "hearty" than some other labels jewel cases.

I wonder if the manufacturer of these "super jewel boxes" are contracted to make these to difference tolerances depending on the label???

3. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

By the way, the design of SACD super jewel cases has changed and will affect the entire output of SACD's. The change was driven by this problem, but it is unrelated to Universal because the cases are manufactured by the same company. Here is the problem, they have changed the dimensions of the new case and your old inlay artwork will not fit into the new case. I'm sure there are still 10's of thousands of the old cases, but you will see a change very soon in the cases.

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Oh, joy. Now I have to redesign my drawers to accomodate the new designs like I had to do twice with DVD audio.

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

My Layla SACD arrived today from CD Universe with a 3" crack across the front. The box was really well packed too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.