Unknown remix of "California Girls" by The Beach Boys on Amazon Echo? So bad my kid stopped it..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My kids and I have been listening to the Beach Boys in the car this week. My No. 2 son loves "California Girls" and asks me to play it over and over.

Well, tonight, he's taking his bath in our master bathroom and he asks Alexa to "play 'California Girls' by The Beach Boys."

It comes on and all of a sudden I realize that it is some kind of Beach Boys remix version or something. The music levels are wrong, the vocals are thin and piercing, compressed and way too up front, no lifelike warmth, the music has highlighted instruments that are way too loud and then compressed down with some bad limiter. I said nothing but about 1/3 through it my kiddo told Alexa to STOP!

"Can't they play the right one, Dad?"

"Guess not."

What is this mix and why is it in our lives? Overloaded, distorted, thin, piercing, wonky and downright unlistenable. Someone thought that sounded good? Now it's all there is?

"Dad, can you ask Alexa to play the right version?"

Tried it, got the same thing again.

Geez.

Rant over.

2. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Sounds like a chip off the old block

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So Bad My Kid Stoped It.
    Might be best thread title ever.

vonwegen, supermd, goodiesguy and 9 others like this.
  4. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Alexa doesn't like girls from California, she's from Seattle.

5. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

I tried this just now here. The Alexa app on my phone says it's playing the version from Fifty Big Ones: Greatest Hits, which has the stereo remix. Make mine mono for this one please, Alexa.

6. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Be proud of your son, Steve.

melstapler and hodgo like this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The stereo remix on the first Endless Harmony, from 1998, is very well done.

The 2nd remix, on the 2000 reissue of the Endless Harmony disc, is not nearly as good.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

When I played it on my Echo a minute ago, Alexa said it was the 2001 Stereo Remix from The Very Best Of The Beach Boys: Sounds Of Summer. I'm an Amazon Music Unlimited subscriber if it matters.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Where did the right song go
    Where is the tune I used to know
    How could you lose that great mono
    Oh, Alexa no

supermd, crispi, goodiesguy and 17 others like this.
  10. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Doesn’t Alexa live in Paris? That’s what Prince said.

JasonA likes this.
  11. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Yo,that Alexa ain't so smart. Asked her to play some Mummers at a relatives' home around New Years- the Mummers are a bunch of string band music clubs who perform in an annual New Years Parade in Philly-there are tons of LPs recorded and at least two CDs. Alexa knew of none of it. Won't ask her where to get a good hoagie,either. Probably thinks they are subs. Alexa was also probably rooting for the Pats last week,too. And,no joking, Alexa will never be heard on my Kindle Fire.

12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

If you think that one's bad, you should hear some of Linnet's other remixes from the "Summer Days" era. No audiophile mastering can make them sound good.

13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Maybe play your "Endless Summer" version instead? That's my go-to. I'm sure you can make that a playlist that Alexa can access.

14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

He didn't "say" anything. The song is an instrumental! ;)

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That's what I would think it would be too....but without being able to hear it, it could be something from
    one of the bootleg 'Sea Of Tunes' box sets..??....

16. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

This thread - and it's title - are amazing for so many reasons !!!! :)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Just wondering, does Alexa EVER feature "lifelike warmth" and not sound compressed? I've only heard voice commands through it, not music. Ron

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The music sounds fine to me and apparently the speaker on the 2nd Generation Echos are better. Then again I'm not a very picky listener so your milage may vary.

19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

My 6 year old daughter did the same thing recently when an alternate-vocal version of her favorite Monkees tune came on. She flipped that it didn’t “sound right.” Made this dad proud.

20. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Ugh - just listened on my Echo. App shows a photo of "Summer Days" lp, but I think that might have nothing to do with what version it's playing - just grabbing the song title from whatever.

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That sounds really bad, sorry for your ears. Though, at first I thought you meant it was some mutated, electronic dance mix by Skrillex or something.

22. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

My 4-year-old is a Sgt Pepper fanatic esp. the title song (first month he discovered it, had to play it, and only it, 15 times on the way to his pre-school which is a 30 minute drive; ditto ride back so that is 30 times a day, 150 times a week for a month; he was obsessed) but the stereo panning in car drives me nuts so I was optimistic when 50th anniversary remix came out, thinking it would be panned better for car... we'd barely popped in the disc before he began complaining how loud it was... end result: needle dropped my mono LP for car...

John B, ericc2000, Shak Cohen and 2 others like this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This forum is going to be full of new members in 15 or 20 years still complaining about the same old things... :laugh:

24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The 50 Big Ones mastering is awful - harsh and loud. Agree that if you want a stereo remix the first EH is the way to go.

MaestroDavros and lightbulb like this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’ve not heard the 50 Big Ones. I shall avoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.