DCC Archive Upcoming CCR boxset---the remastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

In the latest issue of "ICE" there is great detail of the new boxset. So how many times can this stuff be remastered and any noticable difference in sound quality be acheived? Were better tapes found? A better processing found? I realize they are throwing in pre-CCR material for historical purposes but for me the real interst is the main body of CCR Lp's. It is clear from the article that these are new remasters superceding the K2 remasters. I'll be very interested in watching my fellow board members comment on this set when released.

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

No tapes were found... Fantasy used the same tapes like generations before. I doubt they will improve the quality of the K2 remasters. The K2 remasters were really good... but a little bit too much boost on the top end.

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I too like the K2 remasters and doubt I'll be checking out the box set. I'm getting really tired of buying the same material 3, 4, 5 times. I'd much rather be spending my money on new (to me) music than on Creedence for the 4th time.

It's precisely the reason I'll pass on Classic Records' new Quiex "Kind of Blue" reissue. I spent what at the time for me was megabucks on the Classic 2-LP set and a 6-eye mono original, and I just can't justify putting any more money into this album. I think my original Classic sounds fantastic.

At some point you've just got to say "I'm pleased with I have" ... IMO.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Oy ... that should say "I'm pleased with WHAT I have."

Of course.

5. Matt

Matt New Member

I've got a feeling that these won't be better than the DCC discs because I doubt they will change their approach on which part of the music they want to emphasize. Fantasy's always put out CD's that allowed the band to shine through while allowing Fogerty's vocals to become more harsh and shrill. Steve made Fogarty sound more lifelike and natural, allowing the band's sound, particularly the drums and cymbals, to dull a bit.

I personally rather have music that doesn't have any component irritate you, so I appreciate Steve's approach more.

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Hey come on now, thats not the spirit. How are the music companies suppose to say in business it they can't keep selling you the same stuff as before. Today they can't make a buck selling music to teenagers because for every copy they sell there are 20 clones floating around.
    Seriously, maybe they need to step back and survey the situation. Maybe sign some artists that have few less tatoos and a bit more talent that can appeal to a wider audience. And come up with a pricing scheme for CD's for new youth oriented bands so that the kids would buy them. No matter how you look at it $12.99 is a lot for a CD to a 16 year old, especially when he/she can make a copy of their friends disc for $.25
    Sorry for the rant, but I just spent $109 rebuying the Dead and $350 for 10 Reissue Japanese Zappa titles, because I'm f**kin Collector and hate incomplete collections.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The year: 2201.

Release: CCR - The Complete Collection Definitve.

Mastered using atomic sonic nutrillizers utilizing low-gravity high-voltage preamplification and engineered by the famous space alien mastering engineer Gleek Sortex. Mastered directly to your brain cells. $599.99 USD. For $500 more, we can implant virtual memory of you jamming with Stu and John in a smelly garage in LA. Limited Edition Pressing.

eBay: DCC CD of "Willie And The Poor Boys" Gold 24K CD, in VG+, $699 with 4 bids in.

No, seriously, I sincerely doubt it's gonna be better than the DCCs. Steve had the master tapes, I've seen photos. He used tube equipment of its day, and went directly to mastering. No one from here to Japan is going to do anything like that again. :)

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Pretty funny that this got brought up today - I *just* opened up the DCC Cosmo's Factory that came in the mail today. I'm comparing it to the K2 remaster. My thoughts:

The K2 actually doesn't sound as bad in comparison as I thought it would, but it is overly bright, and harder on the ears than the DCC. I really don't find the instrumentation to be mushy at all on the DCC... Interesting that the stereo balance seems a bit off between the two - the K2 is shifted right in relation to the DCC.

One complaint - the booklet seems *really* skimpy on the DCC :(

One more - the art repro seems very poor, with washed out colors and the edges cropped off. And the notes say "Original Photography: Tom Fogerty" - it was Bob Fogerty that took the pictures... Not up to DCC's usual standards.

Considering the music sounds great, though...

Oh, and I *still* HATE those god damn lift-lock cases...

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Luke Pacholski ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.