DCC Archive Upcoming DVD Audio titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jesper Nielsen, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

My first time here

I got some DVD Audio info here

Enjoy :)

A-Ha Minor Earth, Major Sky WM
    Alanis Morisette Jagged Little Pil WM
    Billy Cobham Spectrum WM
    Bluesbrothers Original Soundtrack WM
    Bread Best of Bread WM
    Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live MV
    Buena Vista Social Club Buena Vista Social Club
    Caravana Cubana Late Night Sessions WM
    Cars Cars WM
    Charly Simon No Secrets WM
    Christopher Cross Christopher Cross WM
    Core Stone Temple Pilots WM
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Déjà vu WM
    David Sanborn Voyeur WM
    Deep Purple Machine Head WM
    Devo Q: Are We Not Men? WM
    Diverse Interpreten The Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Set-Up Disc MV
    Don Henley Inside Job WM
    Doobie Brothers Minute by Minute WM
    Doobie Brothers The Captain & Me WM
    Faith No More The Real Thing
    Firesign Theatre Boom Not Bust WM
    Gordon Goodwin's Big Fat Band Swingin' for the Fences
    Grover Washington Jr. Winelight WM
    Herbie Mann Memphis Underground WM
    James-Addiction Nothing's Shocking
    Jean-Luc-Ponty Cosmic Messenger WM
    Joni Mitchell-Blue WM
    Joni Mitchell Court & Spark WM
    Joni Mitchell Hejira WM
    Joni Mitchell Ladies of the Canyon WM
    Judy Collins Wildflowers WM
    Kronos Quartet Caravan WM
    Linda Ronstadt Graceland WM
    Little Feat Dixie Chicken WM
    Little Feat Waiting for Columbus WM
    Mana Unplugged WM
    Michael McDonald The Voice of Michael McDonald
    Miles Davis Tutu WM
    Neil Young Harvest WM
    R.E.M. Automatic for the People WM
    R.E.M. Out of Time WM
    R.E.M. Reveal WM
    RHCP New Album WM
    Ricky Lee Jones Ricky Lee Jones WM
    Rod Stewart A Night on the Town WM
    Rush New Album WM
    Sasha ....You WM
    Seal Seal WM
    Stone Temple Pilots New Album WM
    Sugar Ray New Album WM
    Talkin' Heads Remain in Light WM
    Talkin' Heads Speaking in Tongues WM
    Todd Rundgren Something Anything WM
    Tom Petty Wildflowers WM
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers First Album
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers You're gonna get it
    Tracy Chapman Tracy Chapman WM
    Van Morrison Moondance WM
    Violent Femmes First Album WM
    Westernhagen The Best of Westernhagen
    Yolanda Adams Mountain High WM

I got the information from dvdforum.ch

Jesper

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

shewee! it's about time they released some new titles! Looking forward to Blue and Court and Spark by Joni...wish they'd do Dan Juan's Reckless Daughter, I always loved that one....

3. Jesper Nielsen

Well I can see 3 new on the list!

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Jesper,

Welcome.

Please post the reference (the exact URL) for this list. I was not able to find a list of new releases on the site you mentioned (assuming dvdforum.ch was a typo and you meant .com).

Some of those titles have already been released. I don't know of "Graceland" by Linda R., and I know most of her stuff. What do you think that is?

There have been many false starts to both SACD and DVD-Audio announced releases over the last year, and most consumers are skeptical.

Regards,
    Metralla

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm skeptical as well, but I have open arms. One more vote for Dan Juan's Reckless Daughter. That's one Mitchell title that doesn't get enough attention. Great material.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

This is GREAT.

Cant wait to get the Best of Bread. They are gonna sound great in 5.1!!

I think DVD-A is going to be a huge hit. You can play them on your current player and hear the 5.1 mix, then when its time to upgrade, you can get a true DVD-A player...but even the downconverted 5.1 mixes sound just great on my system.

Mikey

7. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I have Best Of Bread as a quad 8-track. The mix is really neat, a great use of rear speakers and a very full sound throughout. Less successful on Elektra is Best Of The Doors...while the later stuff is pretty great (see L.A. woman DVD-A) the early stuff is pretty messed up, they sped up Light My Fire and it's not a very creative use of the multi-tracks. On another note, has anyone noticed which format RCA is going with? Worst Of Jefferson Airplane is a pretty awesome quad, even the surrealistic pillow stuff is mucho improved, and After Bathing at Baxters material just makes me wanna hear the whole album as a multi-channel remix ;) the volunteers stuff are completely different performances altogether!

8. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Wahoo! Kind of a roundabout way to find out there's a new album in the making (finally...), but cool nonetheless.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey Lennonfann!

Just a point of interest on the quad version of "Light My Fire" by The Doors.

You stated that it was sped up for the Quad version. Believe it or not, the Quad version is the ACTUAL SPEED of the original recording!

The original stereo and mono LP mixes by Bruce Botnick actually SLOWED DOWN the four-track tape.

Typical of "remixes" (of any era), that they didn't bother to correctly slow down the Quad mix. One reason that I'm not looking forward to everything being remixed for DVD-A...

10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Originally posted by Mikey:
    &gt;&gt; I think DVD-A is going to be a huge hit. &lt;&lt;

I think it may get yanked before many of these titles appear. Warner is not doing well. It's parent company just had its CEO step down. AOL is more focused on downloadable music than DVD-A, and once the new CEO realizes how many resources are being spent on DVD-A and the negligeable returns, get ready for the plug to be pulled.

&gt;&gt; You can play them on your current player and hear the 5.1 mix, &lt;&lt;

That would be a neat trick considering I don't own a DVD player. A good two channel machine will always get more use than any mutlichannel unit from me.

FWIW, I'm more excited about the upcoming O'Jays, Isley Bros, Miles, Sonny Rollins, and Bill Evans SACDs than anything on that DVD-A list. Actually I'd rather listen to CDs and save my money for SACDs than buy any DVD-A or DVD player.

12. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Steve, thanks for reminding us about this!

And, just to be clear, I assume your alert about mixed-up remixing has nothing to do with DVD-A per se?
    In other words, if they were remixing Light My Fire for release on an sacd, they'd probably make the same mistakes, right? :)

Hey, maybe they should give us BOTH versions, like the 2 different Your True Love tracks on the Carl Perkins Bear Family box set!

And while we're on the subject, why don't they give us both speeds of When I'm 64, next time! (Now I'm dreaming, ha!)

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: FabFourFan ]

13. Jesper Nielsen

Hey Metralla,

Im sorry for not giving the correct url.. Here it comes www.dvd-forum.ch

Hope this help

BTW, anyone looking for Eagles : Hotel California? I will recive mine in next week! :)

I have already have the album from dcc - but I think this new release is going to kick some ...

14. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Just because some titles are released on DVD-A, does that mean they are going to have more than two channels ? :confused:

15. RetroSmith

Gregm said:

I think it may get yanked before many of these titles appear. Warner is not doing well. It's parent company just had its CEO step down. AOL is more focused on downloadable music than DVD-A, and once the new CEO realizes how many resources are being spent on DVD-A and the negligeable returns, get ready for the plug to be pulled.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;This really sounds like "Sour Grapes" to me. And its funny, if any plug is going to be pulled, I'll bet that its gonna be SACD. SACD isnt a mass market item, 97% of the people are happy with the standard issue CD and couldnt tell the difference anyway!!
    PLUS, you need to go out and buy a new player!!

DVD-A has THREE major things going for it that SACD doesnt:

1) 5.1 Surround is a major difference that anyone can hear and appreciate. Baby boomers love the idea of hearing their beloved LPs remixed in stunning surround sound. "Yellow Submarine" is a MIND BLOWER. Period.

2)There are now millions of Home Theatres set up with surround sound systems due to their low cost...DVD-A slips perfectly into this ready made scenario.

3)DVD is mass market, SACD isnt. Big fish eats little fish every time. Remember Beta?

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey FabFourFan,

My bitching about careless Surround Sound remixes (like the old Quad "Light My Fire"), indeed have NOTHING TO DO with the DVD-A format per se. I didn't mean to single out any format like that. Sorry.

I'm just worried that 5:1 mixing engineers (many of whom were still in diapers when some of the good stuff originally came out) will not be able to match the feel and sound of the original mixes.

Imagine this: A big record company jumps into a new format and orders EVERYTHING to be remixed into 5:1 QUICKLY. Hmmmm. Sounds like the first years of CD to me. Remember when they rushed out a lot of stuff without bothering to find the actual master tapes, because they were "in a hurry"?

Well, now they have to REMIX everything in a hurry. Many mistakes will be made, and some of them will NEVER be corrected in our lifetime.

Scares the crap out of me, actually. :(

17. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Well, there are now over 60 Multichannel SACDs on the market. With more scheduled in the weeks and months ahead. So that's no longer something unique to DTS and DVD-A discs.

As for "Yellow Submarine", last time I checked that was a disc in the DVD Video format - not DVD-A !

18. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, there are now over 60 Multichannel SACDs on the market. With more scheduled in the weeks and months ahead. So that's no longer something unique to DTS and DVD-A discs.

-------------------------------------------

That may be true, but how many of the 60 are titles that the average consumer would be interested in? While you may enjoy classical and jazz, it's a niche market at best. Until Sony and the other SACD producers start producing titles that target mainstream consumers, they don't stand a chance of widestream market acceptance. I have nothing against SACD, but it seems to me that that they're targeting a totally different market than DVD-A. Out of the several hundred SACD titles available, most are stereo classical or stereo jazz titles aimed at the high end "audiophile market". DVD-A on the other hand is targeting mainstream consumers with most pop-rock surround titles. The fact that most also contain a DTS or DD 5.1 tracks in addition to the high resolution DVD-A tracks, means that average joe consumer can purchase and play on his current dvd player instead of having to go out and purchase new equipment to do so as is the case with SACD. This I believe is what Mikey was making a point of.

19. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

People that have been around here since the "old board" may remember my defense of DVD-A. Older and wiser I guess. I still haven't heard any obvious defects of the DVD-A watermarking, however I fear that sooner or later I will. I now take comfort in the fact that SACD does not employ such methods, and has multi-channel support (for those who desire it - hell, sometimes they are FUN). I don't think that DVD-A will dissapear anytime soon; there is already a strong base of installed DVD-V players that are semi-capable. I DO feel that (ultimately) the MUSIC industry - from classical to punk to rap to rock to jazz to pop (fill in your own) will reject DVD-A in favor of SACD. Seems that there are new converts everyday.

I'm one.

20. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

Steve, I think you have to keep in mind that back in the 70s when quad was (trying to be) king the remixes often were different from the regular stereo release, just as stereo was different from the mono in the 60's with simultanious releases! Different isn't necessarily bad, sometimes it's an improvement (yellow sub multi-channel remixes, for example) and with DVD-A you also get a high resolution 2 channel mix with (at least theoretically) should remain faithful to the original. BTW, I own some of the cds you've worked on and I'm quite impressed, especially with the Elvis 24 cut cd. I always wanted to hear those songs clearly, and they became an embarrassment on many of the RCA releases.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm with Steve. MCh mixes scare the crap outta me, especially when there is no dedicated two channel mix available on the disc, as with some DVD-As that just offer a cheesy fold-down. I really hope this format goes away, and I hope the record industry loses its flavor-o-the-month fascination with multichannel after a time. I recognize its value in getting high res formats in the homes of HT and mass consumers. But even done right, MCh really doesn't improve the enjoyment of music beyond two channel.

BTW, welcome aboard the SACD bandwagon Uncle Al. :D

22. RetroSmith

bmoura--

I can tell you've never heard the 'Yellow Submarine" DVD!!

The DVD has several classic Beatles tunes mixed into 5.1 surround sound....exactly the same as any DVD-A disk would have.

I often cue up my copy just to hear "Nowhere Man' and 'Eleanor Rigby" in mind blowing 5.1 sound. On "ER", they have seperated the string section so that it envelopes you...its a totally incredible listening
    experience.

&gt;&gt;&gt;And for Uncle Al.... I really cant agree with your prediction that the music biz will abandon DVD-A. Too many DVD players out in the field already.

Mikey

23. TimM

TimM Senior Member

GRegM continues to bash DVD-A at every chance, but I don't think it will be going away in the near future. After the initial set of releases, All DVD-A discs have had a true stereo mix so that is not a valid point. More and more of these mixes are 24/192 and sound great.

24. RetroSmith

Good point about DVD-A having a nice two track mix as well.

DVD-A is the format of the future, and it Aint going away!!!

25. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Actually I've heard it - and own that DVD Video disc.

But compressed 5.1 Dolby Digital sound is a far cry from Stereo or Multichannel SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.