Upcoming Grateful Dead remasters...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

"The Grateful Dead" (1967 LP), "Anthem of the Sun" (1968 LP), "Aoxomoxoa" (1969 LP), "Live/Dead" (1970 LP), "Workingman's Dead" (1970 LP), "American Beauty" (1970 LP; all remastered and expanded)

All mid of February... RHINO!

2. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Claus...I had heard this was going to happen eventually, but never saw anything in print. Where did you see this information? Thanks!

3. Claus

Bookmark this site

Best source for upcoming new releases and reissues.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Anyone know if these are just the Box set issues or something else completely.

I will not buy it again
    I will not buy it again
    I will not buy it again
    I will not buy it again
    I will not buy it again
    I will not buy it again
    I will not buy it again.......

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I never bought the box and held out for the single discs. Depending on who mastered these- I may not buy them either. Rhino and I don't mix very well.

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

:D Sure you will, check your stash, we all do it! :D

Hi Tom,

I have NOT done my homework but when the new & actually improved boxset was released word was that the boys would sell it as a unit for awhile and then break it up into individual releases. That must be what this is!

Save your money for the next DP or View from the Vault,
    Jeffrey

7. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

So what's the verdict on these remasters? I'm cautious about Rhino remsters ever since the Chicago travesty.

8. Jeffrey

Hi Reb,

You're missing a very good release! :)

-Jeffrey

9. Claus

the same remastering like the box set...

10. Jeffrey

Hi,

My final post on the subject and I'll let someone else speak their peace. :)

I agree that Rhino has had issues and many people bash Joe Gastwirt BUT ya must remember that the GD do NOT allow their work to be abused by others. The GD get final review and must approve their work before it is released. IMO, the boxset is EXCELLENT.

-Jeffrey

11. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

I have the box and consider the sound quite an improvement.

They don't stiff you on bonus cuts, either--even albums that were only ~35 minutes in the original incarnations round out to over 70 on the box versions.

12. Claus

The Grateful Dead single remasters are expanded editions.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I keep saying to myself-- "I will not buy anymore cd's, I will not buy anymore cd's" So why am I even tempting myself with this one. OK- I'll dip my toe in and try just one title. But, then I'll just have to buy it again on high-rez. Wait a minute, I already have all the Warner Green labels. I gotta stop visiting this site, it's poison for my wallet (and mind).

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is the best box set EVER released, both for sound quality and bonus material (packaging too). If you like the Dead, forget the individual releases & just get the box already!

15. Claus

I say it's not worth the price... the packagaing is lavish... but half of the recordings are not my "taste"... so I stick with American Beauty.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've been waiting for theses! Thanks for the tip.:)

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

How is the 2CD set of early recordings included in the box? How is the sound quality? Are they professional recordings?

Thanks,

Chris

18. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Absolutely!! This is my favorite box set too. The sound is pristine. The discs are packed with great bonus cuts. The book that came with it was well written and informative.

The first two CD's are the crown jewel of this box set. Surprisingly very good recordings filled with good cuts. Very straight ahead material - hardly any jamming.

19. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I too love the box set and was wondering what reb thought was so bad about the Chicago remasters, I thought they were a huge improvement over what was out there although I only have the first three as i thought they slid into MOR mediocrity pretty fast.

20. Michael

I wonder if they will be straight reissues froim the Box Set....or tweaked a bit?

21. GregY

GregY New Member

I'm hoping for the former, so I don't have to shell out more money. :)

A superb box set. In fact, as I type this, the skeleton ("Skull & Roses") from a promo poster stares at my back.

Rhino doesn't strike me as a company that would redo these again. I could be wrong, but I'd bet they are the same as the boxed set releases, esp. since I did hear rumors when the set was first released that they would eventually be released singularly.

NP: Dead 12/31/1981 - Oakland, CA

22. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

23. Jeffrey

Hey Kayaker,

What exactly are you trying to say??? :D

-Jeffrey

24. Michael

Me too...That's good news!

25. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Sorry about that everyone. Paged back to get to the forum home page and hit the wrong button when I got back to the page I originally sent the message on.
    Oh well, I now get two more posts to my total (at the cost of being an idiot).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.