Upcoming Grateful Dead remasters...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

LOL. I know the feeling...

The boxed set really is a special piece for GD fans. The remasters are great, and the notes and booklet are perceptive and well done.

What I really want to know is when are the Arista remasters coming? I seem to recall a mention in Mojo magazine that these were in the works, but that was a few years back. Some of those discs are in need of an upgrade, specifically Reckoning (which is still missing a track from the vinyl album) and Go To Heaven, which is short and doesn't sound very good. I also keep hoping that there is a safety copy of the original Terrapin Station with Mickey's original percussion parts that were erased by producer Keith Olson and replaced with those stupid strings.

Chris

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I haven't heard any of the box set. Was Rhino able to get much more out of the debut LP? Although somewhat lo-fi, that one's always been a favorite of mine. Nothin' like a little "Cream Puff War"! :)

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Last year I picked up most of the Japanese remasters of the Arista CD's (Paper Sleeve Edition) at Virgin in NY for $9.99 each :laugh:. Evidently these were discounted before they went OOP. I still see them around town esp. Go to Heaven - which is not very good.
    These are excellent sounding CD's remastered using the 20bit K2 system. There are no bonus tracks on them. Stupid strings are still there on Terrapin...

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

It wasn't I that said anything negative about the Chicago remaster- please read back. I just expressed my FEAR at buying anything from Rhino given other bad experiences. Everyone hear raves about the box so I will either get that or cherry pick the individuals. I also would love to have an updated Arista catalog. Someone talked about the current Go To Heaven- well that album sounds incredible on vinyl.

I'm also eagerly awaiting Jerry's first solo album because the cd sucks big time- the Green Warner LP is mind blowing.

Later.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Chris,

As ya may already know, the GD have done an excellent job of archiving their studio (and non-studio :)) endeavors. The vault is loaded with material that never made the final cut. For example, the amount of film in the vault that Jerry chose not to use for the GD Movie is tremendous. The problem is none of the remaining band members appear to want to invest the significant amount of time that Jerry did in the original project into releasing a 4-5 hour DVD package that would rock our world.

IMO, your hope should be directed towards the GD electing to use Mickey's piece on the next Terrapin release. ;) Given the significantly larger role that Mickey is playing these days with remasters, odds have probably improved.

Here's hoping, :D
    Jeffrey

6. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Yeah, and I gather that this type of thing caused much fighting in the GD camp, especially between Mickey and Phil. I guess they've settled things, but I'm still waiting for the DVD issue of the "Sunshine Daydream" film from the Springfield creamery benefit on 8-27-72.

Maybe someday...

Chris

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Any word if the same masters from the Box Set are going to be used?

8. Jeffrey

Hi Chris,

Yeah, Sunshine Daydream rocks! :righton: Since it's on film there should be hope for a decent quality DVD but given the varied VHS stuff out there I dunno. :(

The boys have been getting along much better ever since the reunion gig at Sweetwater. :D

-Jeffrey

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Indeed! The friggin' HOLY GRAIL!!!

And we might just see it one day. The last notice I saw on the Prankster page is here: http://www.key-z.com/PRANKS.html

In case that dissipates into the ether, as things Pranksterish tend to, it reads:

10. Jeffrey

Hey Rich,

Never trust a Prankster! ;)

-Jeffrey

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.