Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...any one of us could come up with something as ambiguous as that.

2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Most anyway. Not you, but most.

3. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident Thread Starter

Already started with a 'back to back comparison' bootlegs vs this upcoming release to be published ahead of release date and immediate after announcement date, same as we did it with Paul's Flowers Archive, Sgt Pepper Deluxe, etc, where we published (at Wogblog or here) detailed and exact info if any new material was already on bootleg or not, and so far at half of this project 70% is "NEW, "NEW", "NEW", "NEW". (So for any of the ones here already doubting any accuracy in my words, simply do a google search at Wogblog, check the published dates, ACTUAL facts none had at that time, weeks before the materials were in hands of the buyer; and also a lack of memory here since we were the ones who gave you the info regarding Pepper 50th, Beatles Xmas Box and even Paul's colored catalogue and Flowers Archive box MONTHS before any other and also before official words)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    supermd, Tord, jammincrowe and 11 others like this.
  4. I love the album. I've bought it many times. I'm done buying it. I think I have everything that matters.

James Bennett and PIGGIES like this.
  5. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Do I really need more Imagine variations after buying the 2000s LP, the mini LP CD, the RSD box set, and the signature box? Of course I do. What’s a fifth copy at this point?

Oyster Boy and oboogie like this.
  6. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

We don’t even know what’s on it yet. How can we be making purchase decisions?

7. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Because some of us buy any product with the the name "John Lennon" stamped on it. It could be called "John Lennon Unplugged" with a disclaimer stating "warning John removed his guitar strings from his guitar before the recording" and I would still be lining up for pre order.

8. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Mastered properly, without the digital distortion on the vocals that plagued that box set - that can only be a good thing. Who mastered that? It would seem instead of hard limiting, then simply amplified the audio to the point of distortion - really poor.

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Dang. I wish Yoko had done a box like this for JL/POB.... I mean, I love Imagine, but Plastic Ono Band is my favorite John solo album...

DK Pete, Carlox, crossroads69 and 3 others like this.
  10. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Same here, not only is it my favourite JL album but also my favourite album of all time. Still, at least we got more POB outtakes in the Signature box.

Carlox, Sean Murdock and Percy Song like this.
  11. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Mine also. By a country mile. I suppose it could get the 50th Anniversary big box treatment in 2020. I know there are a whole bunch of session takes (or are they mostly partial takes and false starts?) for JL/POB, quite apart from the Anthology stuff, but I've never tried to seek them out. The finished album is so perfect (imo) that I'm not entirely sure that I need to hear the thing taking shape. Nonetheless, I'll be first in line to purchase the super deluxe edition if it materializes!

I'm not too far off agreeing with you - it's certainly ever-present in the relatively small selection of discs that accompany me whenever I travel, and has been since it was released.

Regarding the officially released outtakes, were they different on Signature and Anthology or was there overlap?

Carlox, Sean Murdock and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

No overlap at all between Signature box and Anthology

13. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Here's the full quote in context, including the part you left out about Yoko co-writing the song.

PLAYBOY: We talked a lot about the meaning of "Imagine." What inspired the song?

LENNON: Dick Gregory gave Yoko and me a little kind of prayer book. It is in the Christian idiom, but you can apply it anywhere. It is the concept of positive prayer. If you want to get a car, get the car keys. Get it? "Imagine" is saying that. If you can imagine a world at peace, with no denominations of religion - not without religion but without this my-God-is-bigger-than-your-God thing - then it can be true. The song was originally inspired by Yoko's book Grapefruit. In it are a lot of pieces saying, Imagine this, imagine that. Yoko actually helped a lot with the lyrics, but I wasn't man enough to let her have credit for it. I was still selfish enough and unaware enough to sort of take her contribution without acknowledging it. I was still full of wanting my space after being in a room with the guys all the time, having to share everything. So when Yoko would even wear the same color as me, I used to get madly upset: We are not the Beatles! We are not ****ing Sonny and Cher!

The World Church called me once and asked, "Can we use the lyrics to 'Imagine' and just change it to 'Imagine one religion'?" That showed they didn't understand it at all. It would defeat the whole purpose of the song, the whole idea.

The album Imagine was after Plastic Ono. I call it Plastic Ono with chocolate coating.

wayneklein and supermd like this.
  14. Oyster Boy

You beat me to it:)

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

My favorite too! We’ve been quite lucky though with POB outtakes with 8 on Anthology, 6 on Acosutic and another 8 on the Signature box. That’s 22 outtakes for the album, but yeah if Yoko wants to put together a super deluxe set, count me out (in) :)

16. mikecarrera

I think 'This' could be the beginning of some kind of Archive/Deluxe sets like McCartney and Beatles Pepper/WA.

By the way, I need your opinion for another thing: what do you think of the work of engineer Paul Hicks? was it good on past Beatle projects?

Oyster Boy and Sean Murdock like this.
  17. crossroads69

I love Paul Hick’s work as remix engineer on Love, the best sounding Beatles disc out there. Outside of that, I’ve much enjoyed his work on McCartney Years DVD (remix), The Beatles Mono box, George Harrison Early Years and the ever controversial Let It Be Naked (even tho it’s not his best work). So yeah, you can say I am a fan :)

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I know you didn't ask me, but I think Paul Hicks has done great work with the Beatles and solo projects. LIBN is kind of too long ago to hold against him; he's obviously found the sweet spot since then.

Great to hear that the Imagine set could be the start of a campaign, and not a one-off. Would eagerly buy sets for most (if not all) of John's albums.

Olivia, are you listening??

andrewskyDE, supermd, Paul H and 4 others like this.
  19. mikecarrera

Thank you Crossroads69 and Sean, so it seems Mr Hicks has done good jobs in past Beatles/Solo projects and I'm sure he will continue doing good jobs:cool:

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I must confess I'm not an audiophile, so his vocals on the Lennon Anthology sound ok to me. I doubt any of those specific tracks will be included on the CDs from the upcoming Imagine boxed set, anyway.
    However, it would be a nice touch to include them as bonus tracks on a DVD-A disc, along with a 5.1 mix of the original album.

mikecarrera likes this.
  21. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

So there will be outtakes from Paul's 2013 album on John's 1971 box? Imagine New! :edthumbs:

jmxw, forthlin, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  22. Oyster Boy

I enjoy Paul Hick's work very much on The Beatles Mono box, George Harrison Early Years and Let It Be Naked (I like this and always have). Love sounded superb sonically as well, but just couldn't get on with the way the music was presented.

Sean Murdock and mikecarrera like this.
  23. Oyster Boy

You know I have alawys thought the box set studio outtakes sounded good. Especially the Mind Games outtakes, which sounded better than those tracks on the official album IMHO

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    nasa09 and 5th-beatle like this.
  24. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Well, I'm not one of this pseudo-audiophiles who cries about things being too loud - but this set was just mastered BADLY. Listen to some of the early studio demos, and the digital distortion on the louder vocals is horrible.

25. crossroads69

I think a deluxe set of Plastic Ono Band, perhaps including both John’s and Yoko’s twin albums + outtakes in one super deluxe package, could sell quite well. Can’t wait to see what’s being offered on Imagine, you have us all intrigued! :)

Let’s also hope the generosity of material to be made available on Imagine & WA boxes this year, motivates Paul & MPL to open up the vaults bit more this time for Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway beyond the usual 6-8 bonus tracks. Flowers was definitely progress on that front and so hoping they go even further this time.