Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. positively4th

positively4th Forum Resident

2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I stopped going to the cinema when they started making films in colour.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This not sound good to me

For the Raw Studio Mix of 'How Do You Sleep?' (Takes 5 & 6) In the Imagine Ultimate Collection Box Set on Blu-Ray Audio Disc 2, the 5.1 Surround Sound positions are: Front Centre - John Lennon: electric guitar, vocal
    Front Left - Nicky Hopkins: electric piano
    Front Right - George Harrison: electric slide guitar
    Surround Left - Alan White: drums
    Surround Right - Klaus Voormann: bass

Really hope these mixing decisions are for the bonus material only and NOT the main 5.1 album mix

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Great, thanks! Refresh my memory, was this one of the "Cinema Exclusives?"

Edit: Looks like it is. Huh. It is definitely cool to see this, but to leave it off the blu-ray in order to get a "Cinema Exclusive" is pretty damn stupid. John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ Film to Return to Theaters With Bonus Features – Rolling Stone

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Fret not friend, the proper 5.1 album mix will have drums spread across the front soundstage as should be.

[​IMG]

IronWaffle and ponkine like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yup. That's the difference between the regular surround mix (the immersive experience of the final recording that dobyblue posted) and the Raw Studio surround mix, which is designed to place you in the middle of the room.

ponkine, dobyblue and supermd like this.
  7. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

By the way, is that YouTube video giving us the first glimpse of a mastering credit? It says Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound, Marino's pupil and the guy that does many audiophile AAA cuts for places like Intervention Records.

First I've seen a mastering credit mention, hope he mastered the full album surround mix!

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

That is really good news. RKS in the dead wax means a good remastering was performed.

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  9. positively4th

Yes, this is a glimpse of the cinema exclusive stuff. The only thing I recall being different in the theater is it showed much of the video as a split screen so you could see John and George (or one of the others, but mostly George) at the same time.

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. positively4th

Whoops, quoted the wrong post.

11. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yeah, the cinema-only stuff was different. More chatter at the end as well.

supermd likes this.
  12. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

He's mentioned on the main site for the release. He's only mastering the Raw Studio Mixes though, the main program is credited as being "Mastered by Gavin Lurssen, Reuben Cohen & Paul Hicks at Lurssen Mastering".

I'm a fan of his so I'm excited that he's involved with this release!

13. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'm deliberately not revisiting the various Imagine video releases until the new slew of releases arrives. But I have watched the How Do You Sleep promo which looks and sounds great. I don't recall seeing this before, so it appears this is new. If there is more of this then are there plans to put together another, perhaps performance based, release to get this wonderful footage out there?

14. Mr.Kite

Mr.Kite Forum Resident

Any info on if the remix will be released as a single LP in the future w/o the outtakes?

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

I haven't studied all the configurations of this release, but Qobuz is offering a 61-track '4 disc' lossless download version for £28.99

IronWaffle, swedgin and Shaddam IV like this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The White Album news totally killed this thread.. but the release is only 10 days away. :goodie:

jlf, Pretty.Odd., supermd and 4 others like this.
  17. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Is video from the sessions going to be part of the deluxe version? In the track listing it doesn't list any. The Imagine and Gimme Some Truth docs only have clips of them and they cut away during performances.

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

No. Separate release.

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Nothing really left to say... until we have it and can start listening!

20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Credit to Yoko Ono. I’ll be able to listen to and download this set on Apple Music. This will save me some dough.

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That doesn't stop the other threads. :link:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

With regard to the videos - a certain UK online retailer, a big one, states :-
    *Note to customers
    Region A encoding. This Blu-ray will not play on most Blu-ray players sold in the UK [Region B]. This item requires a region specific or multi-region Blu-ray player.

Is this true does anybody know? The same applies to the DVD

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

24. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Re the CD artwork; with two discs would have been the perfect opportunity to use the original vinyl release label with Johns face (in the shape of an apple) on one and the unique sliced apple on the second.

BeatleStair, mrjinks and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Great review, thanks! I'm wondering about this one:

"Oh My Love – STUNNING is the only word that comes to mind. Dramatically better sounding mix, everything is defined beautifully and so damn clean and clear."

Hearing the samples online this sounded like the one track that is mixed quite a bit louder than the original. I'm wondering if the loudness is what you're responding to when you hear it?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    BeatleStair and supermd like this.