Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

This confused the hell out of me too! I had never heard or heard of these tracks before this week and the book certainly did not help my understanding one bit.

The best I could decipher: on Disc 1, God Save Us is Billy Elliot singing, Do the Oz and God Save Oz are John singing. On Disc 2, God Save Us Demo and Do the Oz Take 3 are both John singing. And Ringo is mentioned as being in the development but doesn’t actually appear on any of the 5 above tracks?

How close am I?

2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

After a Saturday full of Imagine, I played the Plastic Ono Band album today (the remix) after a while and once again, was blown away by it. This is John Lennon at his best, what an incredible record!

If they decided to do an Ultimate Edition, it will be very interesting in how they approach it. It doesn’t necessarily need a new stereo remix (perhaps for some they could improve the “pause” transition in God, never bothered me too much) and with its sparse arrangement, a 5.1 option doesn’t too exciting - actually it might detract from the directness of the original.

I guess they could go the Cutting Edge route with this one, just release the complete sessions. Let the fans live in the studio with John for those days, hearing every take and seeing tracks develop. The casual listeners could get simpler 2-CD sampler and perhaps a Evolution Documentary could also be assembled. The Classic Albums DVD could be re-edited into single 90 minute feature and presented in 1080p HD.

Hope Yoko is thinking POB next, perhaps include her own POB in same package as well.

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You get a B+. :)

"Do The Oz" (Take 3) features Magic Michael on lead vocal, not John. Ringo does not appear on any of those 5 tracks, but he does appear on the "Evolution Documentary" track of "God Save Oz"/"God Save Us" on Blu-ray 2.

4. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Ha, thank you! So it’s John on the Do the Oz master take then? Or Billy?

Still haven’t listened to disc 4 yet, saving those Evolution tracks for another week. (Oh and that one’s on the blu ray only, which I’m not sure how I want to listen to. I don’t have ripping capability or 5.1 yet, but I do have several blu ray players—just none of them are hooked up to speakers that are worth a damn!)

5. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

The new ultimate vinyl clear or black how does it sound.
    Thanks

6. Goobilee

Goobilee Forum Resident

The clear is perhaps the noisiest new vinyl release I’ve purchased in the past few years. Lots of pops and one bad skip. It’s going back.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. RayS

John sings the original b-side version of "Do The Oz". I think the mention of Bill Elliott on any version of "Do The Oz" is simply a mistake in the liner notes.

Larry Geller and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

The clear vinyl 2 LP arrived Friday.

Sound 9/10 - It's quiet vinyl - pretty dynamic - not as squashed as the CD's. But I think the liberal use of compression is the new norm for these reissues, trying to pull out all the sounds recorded on tape.

No ticks, pops, clicks. They did a great job on mine.

This is definitely GZ vinyl though. Is the black vinyl bad?

Packaging 2/10
    Cheaply made outer - and inners.

Glossy Card stock inner sleeves? You can barely get your vinyl in and out - I suggest getting rice paper inners and putting the stock ones in the sleeve never to be used for the purpose designed again. Unless, you like destroying your vinyl.

9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Same here. I was hoping it would arrive this past Friday. But I’m guessing some day this coming week is more realistic.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Received mine yesterday. Top right corner was pushed. If it were Amazon, I would definitely send it back but with uDiscover, who knows what would happen.

I agree on the packaging. With a release like this (and at $52 with shipping), they could have made a nice gatefold for this.

Don’t mean to be negative. I LOVE the SDE CD box set. The vinyl physical presentation just leaves something to be desired.

11. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

Paul Sinclair from SuperDeluxeEdition just uploaded a video comparing the book included in the 4 CD/2 Blu-ray package vs. the standalone 320-page edition.

After seeing that the 320-page edition is mostly picture-based, I'm INCREDIBLY happy that I chose not to pre-order. It would've been such a waste of $150 otherwise. (Start the video at 4:03).

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

So, I was only half way through the book when I replied to your breakdown of the songs. Now I see that Phil Kenzie and the two others are credited later in the book for Do The Oz. But, based on both his comments online and the dates you suggest, wouldn't they be the horn players on God Save Us too, meaning Bobby Keys, like Ringo, only appears with the Oz Crowd?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. RayS

Yes, it seems probable that Bobby Keys is miscredited for the remake session and only appears on the Oz Crowd version.

14. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The book in the video is the standard edition which you can get in the UK for a little over £20 which is excellent value
    The deluxe version is much larger and has fold out sections etc. I ordered it at sub £100 and it looks like it will be a superb companion to the book in the SDE. Still waiting for this to arrive but the video has not put me off in any way. Looks great. We really are being spoilt wit Imagine products and I for one have been incredibly impressed. More please Yoko!

15. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

What year was the remix released?

16. crossroads69

2002 I think...

17. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I believe it was 2000, I remember the ad campaign in a issue of Mojo tying into what would have been his 60th birthday.

18. crossroads69

You’re right, the remixed album came out in 2000. The MFSL version came out in 2003....

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

The black is about the same. Came dirty, dusty. Pops. No fill. No skips on mine, thank goodness. GZ Vinyl pressed these, so no surprise as far as vinyl pressing and packaging. The actual mastering by Ron McMaster is good.

Tommyboy and DK Pete like this.
  20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

No Bobby Keys or Ringo on the actual single. My whole world has been turned upside down.

What's next, you're gonna tell me Santa Claus isn't real?

Mr. Explorer, MerseyBeatle and RayS like this.
  21. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I’m confused....I’ve looked on Discogs and can’t see any vinyl release for 2000.

I can see the MoFi vinyl for 2003

DK Pete likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I came in late to this question so sorry if I'm saying anything you may already know...the 2000 vinyl is a UK release and is of the Peter Cobbin remix. I found a nice used copy of it about a year ago...sounds great and has a revamped Apple label on the LP itself(not John's face this time around). And oh yea, the cover is a gatefold...nice albeit nothing fabulous...just a group of photos we've seen many times. But if you want a vinyl version of the remix and can't find the MFSL, this one's worth seeking out (the only thing the MFSL has on it by the way, is a bit more low end and hard as it may be to believe, this one is a better pressing...even used).

Shpongle and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..so I'm not alone...but my issue is even wierder...I'm only getting excessive crackle during the title track ONLY. It becomes considerably less as the rest of the side plays and side two is near perfect. I'm not exchanging it because I may end up with something worse.

Tommyboy and John Bliss like this.
  24. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Yeah, I’m bummed too as I always thought Ringo was on the single. So, @revolution_vanderbilt and @RayS, is Ringo on the Lennon Anthology version? He’s credited, but with your recent findings, it’s not clear.
    :cheers:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. RayS

That credit appears to be incorrect. But he is on the version on the Blu Ray of the box.

Mr. Explorer and MerseyBeatle like this.