Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing as I have the original Imagine and Gimme Some Truth DVD's.

2. alduchaney

alduchaney In my second circle and heading for the top

Is track 6 an early version of what later became Nutopian International Anthem?

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Imagine track 6. Dig a hole in your garden to put it in.

4. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Regarding the 'Jealous Guy' speed:

Both the Elements and Ultimate mix (the 2018 remix) are the same speed, and have the piano +38 cents off. Take 29 has the album played as on the album (played higher) and is about +20 cents off. Take 9, take 11 have the piano played lower and is about +10 cents off (which to me is just a natural margin), which is the exact same speed as the 1971 and 2000 mix (which is played higher on the piano...). Not sure what to conclude from this.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

The larger book is about $30 I think.

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Cents?

7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

You learn something every day ...

Mr. Explorer and mindgames like this.
  9. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

But note later in the book, (page 116), "Do the Oz" is credited to the probably correct date of 5/22/71.
    I'm like you, this stuff drives me nuts... I had drawn the same conclusions as you. My guess about Michael Cousins being brought back in for "Do the Oz" was that perhaps John was giving him a second chance and he couldn't cut it on "God Save Us", so John just did the vocal. But "Do the Oz" was maybe not as important or at least he wanted Michael to feel like he had something to do at the session... who knows?

Mr. Explorer and RayS like this.
  10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Got my box set from the U.K.! Arrived 9 days early. It looks fantastic and the first BluRay is astounding. BluRay #2 doesn’t play no matter how many times I try to clean it. Damn...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Did you say 9?
    [​IMG]

12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

My view as well. Plastic Ono Band and Walls & Bridges are, for me, the twin peaks of Lennon solo. POB as his best artistic statement, raw and emotional and pure inspiration. W&B as his best commercial song craft and production (produced himself) with impeccable playing from a tight band and, what many don't talk about, he sings his *ss off on that record. Compare the vocals on W&B to those on Imagine, and other than a few examples, there's little comparison. His voice was in much better shape for W&B and he commands it.

blutiga, jmxw, Isaac Azimuth and 2 others like this.
  13. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

For those interested, rarewaves-ca has the Deluxe box at a very good price on their ebay store. I have just bought mine for around 55 euros.

14. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Well here I am on the 16th of October still waiting for that elusive we’ve shipped your order email. Shambles is far to polite a term!

gibtti, MySweetFork and richierichie like this.
  15. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

Same here.
    After the devastating experience with Bravado re. The Concert For George ltd edition box, my faith in these companies has sunk to an all time low.............

richierichie likes this.
  16. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Am I the only one here that thinks that the late Bobby Keys killer sax blasts MAKES the song, Power to the People?
    I dig Alan White's drumming as well!

17. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Bought the single disc edition just out of curiosity. I love everything about Specrors original mix but since its John Lennon on top of his game I just had to have this new version. Like it a lot, but think the vocals on "Jealous Guy" sounds really bad compared to the original mix. I wonder what they did there?

Anyway, I like that this is released because I know many listeners don't like Phil Spectors murky production on the original album.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    gibtti likes this.
  18. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Perfect for a Halloween tune playlist, gotta love a good ol' Yoko witch cackle!

19. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I cancelled my Udiscover order after 5 attempts. It took them a week to refund me. I decided I didn't need the clear vinyl edition (play once and that'll be it) so I ordered Ultimate and Imagine/GST Bluray from Amazon.

I really love the 5:1 mix, must have played it over a dozen times. The box set itself is one of the finest in every aspect, quality, depth, detail, to name a few, to ever be released.

Bern likes this.
  20. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Received my box today from Amazon UK. I don’t usually buy deluxe boxes or records internationally as the time in transit can be disastrous to the product, but I bought the Lennon box from the U.K. as the price was to good to pass up. Well, the shipping box was crushed all to hell, but the Imagine box was inside it’s on shipping box and arrived perfectly. Phew, I’m so glad.

So, before I crack it open, I just want to be sure there are no region issues or PAL issues with the Blu-Ray on a US player. Anyone else here in the US buy the U.K. box and play their Blu-ray? I probably should have checked into this before I bought. Thanks and my apologies for asking this, which has already been discussed.
    :cheers:

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  21. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Can't say on the U.K. release ?
    My deluxe box set of Lewisohn's "Tune In" books from AmazonUK came crushed w/ NO padding whatsoever in the carton .. I think you dodged a bullet.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

[​IMG]

♪ ♫ ".. a twerking crass zero
    is nuthin' to beeee
    .. "

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s hard to find any vinyl copy of Imagine that doesn’t have surface noise during the intro/first part of the title track. YMMV

24. Really ? I’ll have to check all of mine but never noticed any before.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I should have qualified that this has been my experience: US Apple, multiple UK pressings, 2003 MoFi, 1997 EMI pressing, 2015 version.

Across the board. I haven’t had much luck with this LP.

StateOfTheArt likes this.