Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not insecurities. Just a healthy dose of “man-love”, I suspect. Nothing wrong with that.

nasa09 likes this.
  2. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I’m with you. I’m baffled that this is even a serious possibility.

MySweetFork likes this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Yoko's contribution to John's Imagine album can be summed up in one word: Fly. If she wants to remind the world of how she inspired and influenced the recording of Imagine, she should just bundle John's album up with her album and let the world judge between the two. The same sessions produced the album she wanted and the album he wanted. Yes, of course both of them had some influence on the other's album, but at the time they made it clear that they were two distinct creations, his album and her album. Let's hope thy stay that way.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I do not see it as an insecurity issue by outside parties. Yoko opens the door to criticism with these sorts of actions. Some of this is of course speculation because the book has not been released, but she did alter the cover image being used for the book by including her name and allegedly is adding a composer's credit in her name on the album's title track. As others have pointed out, she could have righted any wrongs during the 1970's, most likely with John's blessing had she not been properly credited. Instead, she waits nearly 50 years after the fact to start rewriting history. It doesn't look good and doesn't sit well with people.

5. I read the initial post. I’m a little confused. Is this a book with a bonus CD that’s included or are these separate releases? And the talk of a BRA is speculative at this point?

6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The book and the music set are separate and BR disc is speculation.

Shawn and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  7. :tiphat: Nothing up for presale yet, correct?

8. i can and will

Darrin L. likes this.
  9. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

It seems crazy that the time and expense is being put into this project, even though Imagine reissues have been done to death.

At the same time, George Harrison's vault remains virtually untouched.

10. gottafeelin

If George were alive, he'd probably blame Paul...

Six Bachelors and Paulwalrus like this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

To my eternal regret....

MaestroDavros, nasa09, Tord and 4 others like this.
  12. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I like what I have heard of Yoko's early stuff but her changing the song writing credit on Imagine doesn't feel quite right to me.
    If she helped write it there has got to be a tape of them working on it together so lets hear it.
    And while she is changing song writing credits she might consider Paul's requests along those same lines.
    I'm thinking loss of publishing money may be a consideration in both instances.
    Would adding her name to the credit extend the amount of time the estate collects publishing?
    Don't get me wrong. I like Yoko's music and I hope she stays with us for a long time to come.
    I'll be the first in line to buy a Cambridge 69 alarm clock.

Paulwalrus and sortvinyl like this.
  13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

:hurl:
    I hate the revisionism making Imagine a John & Yoko album. It’s a John Lennon album! It started long ago with the film..

Paulwalrus, fer2 and beatleroadie like this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

In your last sentence John was likely referring to "Jealous Guy" AKA "Child Of Nature" from the White Album sessions

Commercially significant perhaps not but artistic significance is subjective. Also a little known fact is that Yoko has had 6 number one dance/club hits. Yoko is a very talented artist in her own right

Yoko Ono's Surprise Rebirth as a Dance Music Icon

TFEC, Oyster Boy and Onder like this.
  15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Take the remixed Mind Games CD from 2003 (I think it's the same in all the CDs from the 200-2005 remix campaign, but it's the only one I have at hand right now). Look at the credits at the end of the booklet: YOKO ONO is written like that, all in capital letters. It's the only name written like that. Not even John Lennon. What does it tell you about that person's insecurities?

Exactly, that would be the most honest thing to do. But I think she knows by now she won't be able to stand on her own in history with just her music.

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Capital letters? HOW DARE SHE? Maybe they were bigger so she could see them at her advanced age? My days of reading the miniscule print in CD booklets are long gone.

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. A well respected man

Despite the sarcasm, I think you know we were talking about something else entirely. Yoko can write her name in fluorescent colors for all I care, I'm just saying you don't need to be a psychologist to realize what that simple action means. Remember, it's you who talked about people's insecurities and whatnot.

nasa09, Paulwalrus and Sean Murdock like this.
  19. gottafeelin

Actually, gimme some truth harkens back to the Beatles days as well.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. A well respected man

Yes it does.

21. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I did not know that, in what form was it in the Beatles days?
    Music I would assume but maybe he was already toying with something lyric wise, I doubt it would have been the same subject.

22. gottafeelin

He had some lyrics. I will have to find it on an old bootleg, assuming the bootleg dating is correct...

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  23. gottafeelin

Here is John and Paul working on it together in 1969:

24. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

"yellow-bellied son of Gary Cooper" :laugh:

Holy smokes that sounds weird Paul singing and working on this,
    and Paul didn't get a writing credit on John's album.:shrug:

Paulwalrus, Tord and gottafeelin like this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ok, I looked.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the original production credits (left) and reissue production credits (right). So she’s the ONLY name in all caps?
    Why is she lower-case only for the R&R reissue??? Was she having a crisis of self-doubt at that moment?

Note: I’m not a Yoko defender. Some things I like about her; others I don’t. But I think perhaps your animosity towards her (?) may have made you miss something above.

And if people wanna gripe, let’s talk about the first songwriter credit she stole - the Mind Games remix lists her as co-composer on Nutopian International Anthem! :yikes: