Upcoming Marshall Tucker Band Greatest Hits 2 LP All Analog Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TakiJones, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member Thread Starter

According to Amazon blurb, it was remastered by one of the most renowned
    mastering engineers in the world. But does not say who.
    Anyone have any idea who it might be?
    Any opinions on the label releasing this?

2. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

It says it was compiled and remastered using an all analog process. I would assume it wasn’t converted to digital from there and I would hope it was cut AAA with no digital delay. Given how things are done I don’t think we can assume that the record is AAA from the way the blurb was worded, can we? Knowing who the engineer was would help to confirm things I would think.

3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

According to an ad in Goldmine it is Kevin Grey.

MLutthans and Paully like this.
  4. Paully

Dflow, supermd and allbrosca like this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Single Versions? Ugh!!! Pass, pass pass...:(

Side One:
    1. Take The Highway
    2. Blue Ridge Mountain Sky
    3. In My Own Way
    4. Fire On The Mountain

Side Two:
    1. Heard It In A Love Song (Single Version)
    2. Ramblin'
    3. Searchin' For A Rainbow (Single Version)
    4. I Should Have Never Started Loving You

Side Three:
    1. 24 Hours At A Time
    2. Long Hard Ride (Single Version)
    3. Can't You See (Single Version)
    4. Too Stubborn
    5. This Ol' Cowboy

Side Four:
    1. Desert Skies
    2. A New Life
    3. I'll Be Loving You

RiRiIII, Szeppelin75 and Myke like this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Single versions really has me on the fence...

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Single versions do not bother me..they’re just edits. Besides, I have the full length versions on Capricorn vinyl. I’m in.

Paully likes this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

KG is one of the best........I'm in. :righton:

Paully likes this.
  9. Paully

I guess I need to go hear what the differences between single version edits and the album version are. Is it a big deal with these particular songs? Still want this greatest hits album anyway I think!

10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

If you know the songs, it is. Pointless in a release like this and against the artists original intent all just to make something more "radio friendly" (which is meaningless).

It's like removing scenes from a movie. I avoid edits at all costs. No sale.

11. Paully

I wonder if they used radio edits because the tapes are in good shape and they exist as ready to use individual tapes. Wonder if it is just easier than trying to pull the individual songs out of the album master tape?

12. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

I wish they weren’t single edits but I’m still in!

bajaed and Paully like this.
  13. Paully

I totally respect being a purist. I feel that way about digital vs analog. If an analog tape is available and they didn’t use it to cut the record, no sale. I stick with an original even if it has some crackle. So I do get your feeling here. But for me, I like the band well enough but haven’t bothered to pick up any LPs and I doubt I would listen to them much if I did. An all analog greatest hits is super rare these days, for $25, and cut by Kevin Gray. For my purposes this package fits the bill (the radio edits are all I would know) and is something I can’t pass up edits or not.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It’s not a big deal with the edits...basically, just misssing a verse or two and shorter for airplay...no difference in the mixes themselves.

Paully likes this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'll have to register to the radio edit "Can't You See". The full version is rather seared into my brain...

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I ordered this from Amazon - will have it tomorrow as well. Since I purchased the Kevin Grey all analog 2017 cut of MTB (first album) which sounded phenomenal, I had to purchase this even though I have the pretty lackluster LP version from 2011.

I'm hoping this is all analog as advertised, and if it sounds as good as the 100% all analog MTB cut by Kevin, this will be well worth the money spent even with the single edits (remember this is a "greatest hits" package - and from what I understand the single edits are somewhat "rare" in that they are harder to find (and probably were not heavily purchased back in the day as the LPs) so that is something right there).

Paully likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

WHAT ?!?!?!? :yikes: I know nothing of this, and no one has even submitted a copy to Discogs !!!! UPC PLEASE !!!!!!!

This album is a favorite that goes back to February of 1973 for me. They were my first live band ever then, and that was their only album. I still have my original, plus 2 different CD masterings.

18. Myke

Looks like 859401005110 per Bull Moose ? How has this not been posted anywhere on this forum in the last 10 months ?????
    Maybe we all assumed being the Ramblin' Records label, they'd be as horrible as the 2003 CDs ? Kevin + an all-time favorite album is blowing my mind !!!!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  19. Paully

How reliable is the information from Goldmine? If they say it is Kevin Gray then it is Kevin Gray? I take the information from Elusive Disc that it is 100% all analog with a grain of salt (a little one). Doesn't seem like we have any direct confirmation from someone in the know about this. I'm going to take what I have and run with it, but it would bet nice if it were possible to get more direct confirmation. The email form at Cohearant Audio isn't working form me.

20. Myke

Acoustic Sounds confirms the first album is 100% analog, while leaving Kevin's name out of it. @MikeT being a reputable source has my blood pressure up on this one ( the first one ). My poor old original still doesn't skip, but is wore out.

lucan_g likes this.
  21. Paully

I went hunting for the 2017 on Discogs but didn't see one. This appears to be it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Tuc...37475291&sr=1-3&keywords=Marshall+Tucker+Band

If Kevin Gray did the 2017 I would say the likelihood that he did this Greatest Hits to be pretty high.

22. Myke

23. Myke

@MikeT - RE: S/T first album : is there any mention of KG anywhere on the jacket, or just his initials in the deadwax ? Also, is it still a gatefold ?

24. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Here is a picture of the full page ad from the September 2018 Goldmine issue:

[​IMG]

Zeki, driverdrummer and Paully like this.
  25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I actually mentioned this 2017 KG cut in another Tucker thread - since like you I knew nothing of the first LP being cut 100% analog until I saw this thread when first posted and went looking for the Greatest Hits coming out as supposedly analog. I stumbled upon the 2017 cut being sold at both Amazon and Acoustic Sounds and took a chance ordering it from Acoustic Sounds. I had the Shout/Factory pressing from some years back and sold it quickly it was so bad - but the 2017 cut, which I purchased with some trepidation - Wow real nice.
    The cover is a pale rendition of the original, but it is printed on the outside of the gatefold - Authentic Original Band Recording, 100% Analog Re-master for Vinyl.

Inside the gatefold is printed:
    2017 Remastering : Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, LLC

This reissue was made in Memphis, TN USA by Memphis Record Pressing

Authentic Original Band Recording - Re-mastered for vinyl using the original tape master. 100% Analog.

As a bonus, there is even an extra track of "Can't You See" Live from San Francisco 1973 (most likely from the tape that created the Live from San Fran CD) on the re-issue of the first LP.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Paully and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.