Upcoming Prince Vinyl Reissues Unveiled Throughout This Year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whisperinwind21

whisperinwind21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vinyl reissues for Prince's 1978-94 WB albums are coming soon from Warner Brothers, in conjunction with NPG Records. The reissues for For You and Prince were unveiled last week.

Nine Prince albums set for vinyl reissue this year »

For You (April 26): Prince-For You-140 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Prince (April 26): Prince-Prince-140 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Around The World In A Day (June 21): Prince-Around The World In A Day-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Parade (July 19): Prince - Parade (Music From The Motion Picture Under The Cherry Moon) - Amazon.com Music »
    Sign o' the Times (August 23): Prince-Sign O The Times-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    The Black Album (September 20): Prince-The Black Album-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Lovesexy (October 18): Prince-Lovesexy-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Batman (October 18): Prince-Batman-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Graffiti Bridge (November 22): Prince-Music From Graffiti Bridge-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Diamonds and Pearls (November 22): Prince - Diamonds and Pearls - Amazon.com Music »
    The Love Symbol Album (December 13): Prince-The Love Symbol-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »
    Come (December 13): Prince-Come-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds »

2. whisperinwind21

Pictures of For You reissue:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Well, they didn't waste much time didn't they? Still, i'm looking foward to a couple of these

Mabel Smith likes this.
  4. whisperinwind21

Oddly enough, this reissue campaign was planned a couple months before Prince's sudden passing.

5. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I am really excited for Black Album, have everything between For You and Graffiti Bridge.

Hesitant on Diamonds And Pearls and O+> because it looks like they are going to be single discs and DAP is 65 mins and O+> is 73 minutes long. There's no way in hell they will fit the whole albums on a single disc. I'd love those albums on vinyl but I don't see it possible for them to be single discs.

Glad for Come too, at least that one doesn't seem like it'll have problems.

Stan94 likes this.
  6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nostaljack and whisperinwind21 like this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Why no "Gold Experience"?

footprintsinthesand and Sondek like this.
  8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Nice! Put me down for Parade and Sign o' the Times, at least.

9. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I always wondered if NPG "owned" that and Chaos And Disorder given they were credited to O+> and not "Prince". Notice that Come, attributed to Prince (and the 1958-1993 thing is very eerie now) never went out of print, but Gold and Chaos have been OOP for very long, especially given that Gold actually had two big hits and a few other fan faves.

Hopefully though, NPG can get resources together and get the 1995-2010 and last two HitnRun albums out on vinyl too. Prince is one of very few artists that I actually want to own everything on vinyl.

Wipeout, Nathan Aaron and Jarvius like this.
  10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Yeah, that makes sense. I was deep into Prince obsession back then. These last couple weeks I keep reading things that jog my memory... mainly dates, personnel, etc.

11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'll be having myself a copy of the Love Symbol Album.

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

13. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Digital or analog on these?

14. whisperinwind21

Did anyone here happen to buy the For You vinyl reissue? I read a response from someone that "I'm Yours" was 'louder' (whatever that means). I have a 1978 original pressing (with the palm trees label) and it's marvelous. Full and warm. The original disc doesn't sound bad either, even though the SHM-CD improved upon it in the soundstage department.

15. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

All the original Prince lps sound excellent IMO, with Parade being the best of them all!

(Well i take that back, Lovesexy orig pressing was just average, little thin and bright if memory serves)

englishbob and whisperinwind21 like this.
  16. whisperinwind21

Agreed. Parade is audiophile quality. Both the vinyl and CD of this album have some impressive dynamics throughout.

fastskillfulinjured and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Is there any knowledge on where these are pressed? Discogs has no deadwax markings on For You or Prince...

If I remember right, I think the Purple Rain (and some of the earlier 2011?? ones) reissue is from RTI... but if these are from Rhino's typical plant Rainbo.... I'm passing. I'd really like to have nice pressings of Prince's LPs. I only have a few originals and a record club copy of Purple Rain.

But.. I can't deal with Rainbo. Sorry to continue the bashing. I got terrible copies of two of the Smith's reissues that Rhino did at Rainbo and I decided to just buy EU pressings of them because they are better quality. The Rainbo pressings have 'blurry' vinyl on at least one side that causes a terrible noise throughout the side. I returned them to Amazon and got slightly better copies. I can't afford EU pressings of Prince's catalog.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    whisperinwind21 likes this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I think all the previous releases (Purple Rain, Controversy, 1999 and Dirty Mind) are all pressed at RTI. Kevin Gray cut Purple Rain, Chris Bellman cut the rest. No idea about the new ones.

19. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I re-edited my post to acknowledge that.. Thanks... I realized it after the fact that they were all RTI...

davidp71 and ad180 like this.
  20. All planned last year per his resigning w WB in2014

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  21. Doesn't acoustic sounds press their own ?

22. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Are these Acoustic Sounds releases? Pressed at Quality? I didn't think WB / Rhino usually contracted with them. I don't think they are specifically Acoustic Sounds releases.

23. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Fantastic news that Come is finally issued on vinyl.

EVOLVIST, marc with a c and Bowieboy like this.
  24. Ok I assumed since those links have some Amazon and others acoustic sounds. Usually folks just link amazon for new releases

25. whisperinwind21

I believe Kevin Gray is mastering the new reissues, based on this information: Prince - For You »

It's safe to say that since the 2011 180g reissues of Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, and Purple Rain were pressed at RTI, these new reissues will probably be pressed at the same plant as those. I haven't found any info about the plants these have been pressed at yet. The For You reissue looks pretty standard.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.