Upcoming TV series, "The Purge"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wwaldmanfan, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's Thread Starter

This 10-part USA Network TV series, "The Purge", is based on the two disgusting feature films of the same name. What it wrong with our culture when watching such depravity and ultra-violence is entertaining?

Popular culture is becoming increasingly violent. Is it any wonder that life imitates art, as we now, as a nation, suffer through repeated, senseless mass murders in schools, movie theaters, at concerts, and in the streets of our cities? Impressionable kids are growing up to think that this is acceptable, normal behavior. What ever happend to good old wholesome entertainment?

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

actually 4 "disgusting" feature films.

I don't really think they are any more violent or depraved than some stuff that was coming out in the 70s and 80s. and if actually watched they are really preaching anti violence in the end though that can be hard to parse out especially with the tacky advertising route.

3. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yes, the films are meant as a treastie on the American culture of violence and guns. Per the filmmaker:

"To be honest, my fear right now is of guns, and this film comes from that," he explained. "I think my cynicism comes from watching the news. I'm terrified for my daughter, I'm terrified for me, and I'm terrified for my country. So I think that cynicism seeps into the film. America itself becomes the canvas, instead of the haunted house, the canvas is America. We don't need ghosts or vampires anymore when we're just killing each other, you know?​

To be honest, after reading up on the films, there's a lot more thought and satire purposely infused into the films than I ever would have imagined.

Chris DeVoe and gojikranz like this.
  4. As if society isnt plagued with random shootings in public places and acts of violence. As long as it sells anything goes. Some cultures dont endorse it and are generally more peaceful.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Okay, you got your rant posted about the "disgusting movies". Frankly you don't sound as if you've watched the movies, and if you have, you certainly didn't comprehend them if you think they are promoting violence.

Is this thread about the TV show, which nobody has seen so far? Or is this thread just about "violence in media/Amercica" in which case its destined for a quick lock.

Shawn and gojikranz like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

like we needed this, hmmm maybe we do. LOL...
    just joshing. ; )

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, it ain't to hard to figure out the same ole, same ole...BS.

8. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

OMG, just yesterday a couple of youngsters from work were telling me about the movies and found the concept funny/entertaining. I was told I resemble the character played by Jack Conley (Big Daddy) in The Purge Anarchist. I just set up TIVO to record the TV series and The Purge Anarchist.

9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Star Trek did it first, praise Landru!

10. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

It's not Great Purge then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.