Upcoming Yes archival release: "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

After reading the Q&A with Brian Kehew - I may have tinkled just a little bit ... :goodie:

boggs, ShawnMcCann, ARK and 5 others like this.
  2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

The same here, but I will buy also (when it'll come) Japanese SHM Mini LP version of 2 disc set and I will pray that it will, as Brian Kehew said: "gain momentum with the public…" and will come in hi-rez format.

I do have 7" Japan Mini LP SACD set with the best print quality covers ever made, and Yessongs from this set has simply mind-blowing, as only Japanese are willing to do, Double Gate-fold cover. And, I'm dreaming to add similarly packaged with new Artwork Progeny Highlights 7" Japan Mini LP 2 SACD here. Please... Brian, Roger, God, who else, guys...

Mike McMann likes this.
  3. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Well, I caved and pre ordered this. The interview sold me, sounds like this has promise!

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yes has got to be the only rock band I can think of where people seem to think that the drummer is the most important member of the band. I am a drummer myself, and I think it's crazy that so many people value Bruford so highly over the various other members in the band. Makes no sense to me, especially since he certainly wasn't one of the key composers of that music.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the 14-CD set, and for those of you who say silly things like Yes went downhill after Bruford was gone (apparently ignoring progressive rock classics like TFTO, Relayer and GFTO), it seems to me that you're missing out on some great music.

DiabloG, ARK, Murph and 5 others like this.
  5. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

This releases sounds great, think I'll check it out...

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Nope. This forum has no lack of members who think The Who should've quit when Moonie died...just because Zeppelin did so with Bonzo.

ARK likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Good point. I don't think the music itself went downhill, but I do remember first being drawn to Yes because of Buford (Yes album was my first) and always focused on his drumming. His snare sound and his sense of where the beat fell was fascinating to me. Years later, after fascination with Buford, then Tony Williams, then Kenny Clarke and Jack DeJohnette I took up the drums. . . .

I like Yes with White, TFTO is probably my favorite Yes album altogether, but Buford with Yes was more exciting for me. That said, Buford with Crimson. . . doesn't do as much for me. I'm weird.

kenbefound likes this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There is certainly some legitimacy to the argument that Yes, at least in the studio, experienced a decline after Buford left. That said, I don't think the band's live prowess suffered in any significant or noteworthy way with White behind the drum-kit. It was still a virtuoso live band. The Who's live legacy circa 1979-1982 saw a clear deterioration after Moon's death (although, one can make a strong argument that even with Moon, The Who would have experienced a decline based on his inferior drumming on Who Are You and the shambolic Kilburn & Shepperton gigs).

jay.dee likes this.
  10. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Their output in two years -- 1973 -4 , six sides of music...easily rates with what came in the preceding four. Most Yes fans would agree. And if course they took a break from studio work together for two years after that.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's BRuford.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I'm aware, sorry, typos that I can't edit.

Plan9 likes this.
  13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Listen again to Fragile - so many musical passages are based on the drum part. When White joined, that changed. He always sounded like his drum parts were following the arrangements, rather than driving them.

That aspect, the drum part being the foundation rather than a reactive component, is why I've always lamented Bruford's departure.

I love the White albums too, especially Relayer, but there is no question in my mind that the fundamental ingredient in their Bruford era tracks was Bruford. He wrote dizzying drum parts that were built upon. White, for all his talent, simply did not do this.

14. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Only Yes fans can bitch for weeks about who is the better drummer in a thread dedicated to a fantastic archival release. Guys...it's getting boring, open your own bitching thread.
    Or better we should open a new subforum for bitching Yes fans threads. Sheesh...

15. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Is this based on interviews with the band because I don't hear it. If any song between all the songs on Fragile and Relayer were based on the drums being a foundation rather than a reactive component (if I am even understanding what that means) it would be Sound Chaser. Roundabout? South Side of the Sky? Heart of the Sunrise? none of those songs are anywhere as nearly drum centric in the arrangement as Sound Chaser.

16. davenav

It's based on the fact that Bruford wrote drum parts. The liner noted for Fragile make reference to this. The band would make their parts go right with it.

That changed with Bruford's departure. After that, the band wrote parts that White had to follow, or react to. I've always thought the title Sound Chaser to be ironic, because you can literally hear White chasing from part to part, rather than being the bedrock, as Bruford's parts were.

As a drummer, this has been a bit of an obsession of mine. I even discussed it with Bruford and he verified how intrinsic his drum notation was to so many tunes, especially on Fragile & Close To The Edge.

I don't say this to bash Alan White - they simply had two very different approaches. Bruford was into rigorous composition. White was more of a jammer who would never have started a cerebral progressive band like Yes. He fell into that position as a hiree.

It's not about him being good or bad - it's about the fundamental change that occurred when Bruford left, and took that scholarly approach to drum notation with him.

ARK, Smartin62, jay.dee and 1 other person like this.
  17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Bruford 4Ever
    White never!!!

There. I said it!

He's my fave rock drummer after Starr, Watts, Moon, Bonham, and Mitchell!

18. davenav

It's a key talking point in Yes circles. It's part and parcel of every Yes thread I've ever seen.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  19. davenav

His dedication is a constant inspiration.

I once wrote him a short note about how much I liked the UK album, and got back a two page letter & an invitation to go backstage when they came to town! He compared his way of hitting the snare to a karate blow!

Dr. Mudd, Kossoff is God and Paul K like this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Then go do it! That way, you won't have to come in and gripe :)

21. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

When I think of something like the 10/28/78 Heart of the Sunrise, I think, "No one but White could play it like that."
    When I think of The Yes Album version of "Your's is no Disgrace", I think, No one but Bruford could play it like that"

CybrKhatru likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

White wrote music too. It is true Bruford had some drum based pieces like "Five Per Cent For Nothing" and the first part of "Heart Of The Sunrise" and as far as I know White didn't take that approach.

23. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Tone_Boss and Aggie87 like this.
  24. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

mark me down for repetition please

25. mur

mur Hyperactive!

In the past I was hesitant to buy the box sets like The Word is Yes. In essence its a rehash of all re-released stuff with a few golden nuggets. I was temped when the price fell but still just a rehash of my favorite band.

This however is completely different, it gives you the ability to check out the band in their hey day. Like packing up the station wagon and go follow the tour with the band touring my favorite album, CTE. Its a real no brainer for me, complete 14 disc set!! Sold!!!

Scooter59 and Tone_Boss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.