Upcoming Yes archival release: "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Hmm ... CD Japan is listing both versions as SHM-CDs. But ... it wouldn't be the first time that designation was changed after being announced. We'll see in June, eh?

2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

one word: wow!

those previews are awesome.

3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Couldn't you be a "better" robot by buying 2 copies of the 14 CD set then?

ARK and Meng like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

A lot of Collectors do that: use one copy and keep untouched another one. But, in this case, Highlights would be cheaper and more convenient way for casual use.

5. toilet_doctor

I thought it would be SHM Highlights myself, but, as I said in my post #414, they didn't specify.

All of that makes sense only in one case: Roger Dean is working right now on the design of Highlights Mini LP 2 SHM-CD version. Again, it's only my guess.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I could've sworn it said SHM-CD for both when I ordered it the moment it was announced at CD Japan ... or I may have seen it in their announcement ... I'm implying something changed. That said, CD Japan is normally good about notifying customers of format changes and the like.

I know, I know, SHM-CD is not a format ...

7. toilet_doctor

Sooner or later SHM release will come anyway. I would cancel Jpn order for now.

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Or how about CD-R? You can make your own "Highlights".

ARK, JediJoker and toilet_doctor like this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Why would someone do that? You buy music to play it and not to NEVER play it!

ARK and spindly like this.
  10. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Amazing how this has already been deemed 'collectible' before it's even released, eh?

ARK likes this.
  11. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Indeed amazing and I highly doubth it ever will be collectible.

12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

This thread started to take a weird turn when somebody actually said this:

Given Yes is one of the greatest bands to listen to on LP

:wtf:

13. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

The latest preview!

14. LordJohn

LordJohn Forum Resident

Fantastic! And that is one of the things I'm really most looking forward to with this release, Steve Howe tearing it up in varying ways on every different version of 'Yours Is No Disgrace'.

rburly, qtrules and Meng like this.
  15. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Actually, no, you're still wrong. 'Mind Drive' and 'Sound Chaser' and "Gates of Delirium' are three examples where his drum patterns played a structural part in the song....where others followed his lead. I'm sure there were others.

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

People are bored with this disagreement. And so am I.

Good-bye.

Larry L likes this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I often think I need to go to a different forum to find people who actually listen to music. Based on threads, I sometimes get the feeling that when people on this forum acquire digital music, they do so to run it through computer programs to compare spectral graphs with their other digital music. When they buy vinyl, they put it in a two hundred dollar washing machine, transfer it with gloves to brand new sleeves, and stare at it in the sunlight looking for scuffs. When they buy special releases, they stick them sealed in a vault. I'm not really sure who listens to music anymore.

Gone are the days of buying music, throwing it on whatever one may have, sharing the tunes with friends, and playing it till it plays no more...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    SoporJoe, thestereofan, ARK and 10 others like this.
  18. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

My 2 cent on the AW vs. BB. A few years ago my friend`s brother squared up to me (looking for a fight) as I said I preferred AW to BB. What a tosser!!!

Larry L and rburly like this.
  19. LordJohn

LordJohn Forum Resident

I don’t think that’s true on this forum in general, the majority of people here seem to be enthusiastic and passionate about music and share that freely. A grouchier (and unfortunately sometimes far more vocal minority) let other things get in the way of enjoying the music, that's their loss. There’s a wealth of great information and opinions here that I don’t think you’re going to find elsewhere. Especially true on threads about Yes here. For instance, one of the best threads ever, the Yes album by album thread: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-yes-album-by-album-thread.356728/ You really won't find it’s equal anywhere else.

JimW, lucan_g, Meng and 1 other person like this.
  20. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'll throw this comment in: I can't wait on these to be released. I've listened to all the preview snippets and they sound fantastic. If the whole lot sounds anywhere as good as what's been teased and released, I'll be one happy camper. Again, I can't wait to hear these!

patsdelight, Larry L and LordJohn like this.
  21. I think his point is that demand will likely not outstrip supply and consequently the release will not be collectible. No slight on the quality of the release, but I assume they are not being produced in small limited lots.

hellion likes this.
  22. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I had more of an issue with the absolute ridiculousness of the highlighted statement itself. As in "hey, listening to Yes on LP is better than listening to most other bands on LP". Nonsense. Supply, demand, sales figures, chart positions, etc. mean nothing.

23. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

And that will be the determining factor. Supply. Just look at what happened with Fly From Here on vinyl.

24. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Most of the Yessongs performances are from shows in the Progeny set. But of course the mixing and mastering will be different.

25. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

True but most of the Progeny set are not the Yessongs performances.

Yes, all that and different source tapes

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.