Updated Rega DAC-R forthcoming

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. james

james Summon The Queen

i have a hard time understanding why the black units outsold silver leading to silver being discontinued. the silver/grey looks great, in my opinion

3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Sweet. I liked the sound of the original Rega dac but no hi-res on USB was a deal breaker for me.

Any idea on MSRP?

4. GoldprintAudio

Not 100% sure on US pricing yet. Hope to have that soon.

5. GoldprintAudio

A little more info....Rega/Sound Org hope to have these shipping in the US in/around December.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had a Rega dac. It was nice - nothing special. It was about the same as the similarly priced Peachtree DAC1 and the W4S DAC1.

I had a small preference for the Peachtree, but just barely.

7. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Love the Rega DAC. I had bought a Schiit BiFrost, and then a used Rega came up that I couldn't pass up. There is no comparison between the two, plus the clicking in the Schiit drove me buggy.

That said, the original Rega DAC is not a good match for my Macbook pro. The optical TOSLINK outputs a max of 96/24. The only way to get 192/24 is to use a USB DAC, and the Rega's USB input is severely limited (48/24 I think?) Works great with my CD player, though, and 96/24 also sounds great.

8. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I wonder if Rega will change the name of their ISIS cd player any time soon ;)

9. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

Are you sure the silver has been discontinued? I can't see it mentioned anywhere..

10. james

james Summon The Queen

Not 100%, but I was under the impression silver has been discontinued on the Brio-R and DAC for a while now.

11. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member

Why is all the Schiit stuff silver?

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Because with two colors in the line their shipping department is not capable of sending out the correct color.

I'm speaking from experience here.

13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have the Rega DAC, it's pretty good, but there are better choices out there for the same price. It also seems that they lag behind the competition quite a bit when it comes to tech.

For instance it was standard fare to have asynchronous USB prior to the release of their first DAC as well, but they ignored it and made excuses that their tech was just as good. But it wasn't and plus it could only do 96/24 bit via that pathway anyways, so most people (myself included) who used it with computer playback had to go and get a USB/SPDIF converter to playback hi-res file 192/24 via USB.

Now the same thing ... there are already DACs out there capable of playing DSD x512 and Double DXD for under $500. And just now they are adding asynchronous USB playback at 192? Their whole DAC needs a workover just to bring it up to todays playback formats. I just can't understand why they would go through the trouble of only adding USB asynchronous USB and a remote and not upgrade the other capabilities such as DSD, DXD, etc., etc.?

This thing I already dated and it hasn't even been released yet.

deniall likes this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Time to buy a new DAC...

bhazen likes this.
  15. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

You are correct. I just emailed my local Rega distributor and they said all Rega electronics are now only being made in black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.