Upgrade cartridge on Audio Technica LP120usb

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by L.P., Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident Thread Starter

What cartridge would you recommend to upgrade the AT95E on the AT-LP120 turntable?
    I'm thinking about buying a complete second headshell so I can swap them easily.

I was looking at the AT120eb and the AT vm520eb at Amazon, maybe in that price-range.
    Or maybe the Ortofon Red?

Would it be a good idea to safe a more expensive stylus for more pristine records and
    use the cheaper stylus for the flee market finds?

2. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

I have this turntable with all the mods except the anti skate and the platter shimming. So far what really sounds good is a the Denon DL103 on a LP Gear Zupreme head shell. I'm using Emotiva's XPS-1 at 100ohms and I got to say it surprised me how well this combination sounds.

SandAndGlass, H8SLKC and L.P. like this.
  3. L.P.

What is platter shimming?

H8SLKC likes this.
  4. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

2M Red is not going to be an upgrade over AT95E. I don't get why it gets so much praise. Tracks poorly and has a lot of sibilance. I much rather listen to 95E. Blue is in completely different league though so I suggest you save up for it if you can.

I have AT44mlb and love how it sounds on my vintage Connoisseur turntable. Not bright at all. AT discontinued it and replaced it wih more expensive VM540ML.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Here's a good upgrade, how about a Audio-Technica VM series cartridge. Does everything the AT 95e does, but also better detail, better reproduction of massed string ensembles and ensemble work, lively and fun! AT 520 Eb is a good buy, and the new equivalent to the old AT 120 Eb. Also a nice better cartridge in a second headshell.

6. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Sumiko Pearl. I love it on my TD160, upgraded from a goldring elektra and the difference in clarity and separation astonished me.

SandAndGlass and H8SLKC like this.
  7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I totally agree with @aakko

Also add the Nagaoka MP-110 to the list.

L.P. and H8SLKC like this.
  8. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

This might be a bit off the beaten track as an option. But I have had a chance to listen to a couple of the LP Gear Vessel cartridges, and they are very good at their price points. Worth looking into.

Cheers
    Mister Pig

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. L.P.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, and that one's premounted for you too.

L.P. likes this.
  11. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

Platter shimming is where you raise the platter with some type of insulator at the three screw areas for the platter. It helps isolate the motor noise but the big plus is the platter sits higher. Search you tube. Mine has no motor noise so I didn't do it.

L.P. likes this.
  12. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I added a Blue to my AT-LP5 and it made a HUGE difference. Pricier, as noted .

SandAndGlass and Clonesteak like this.
  13. L.P.

If I'd upgrade from AT95e to AT VM520eb, would that be a significant upgrade? I'm not expecting mindblowing or lifechanging, but the stylus is the same on both, right? So would it sound just a little bit better, or should I really upgrade before I start my needledropping project? I know, tinkering and upgrading is part of the fun, so I'll probably do it anyway sooner or later.

14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I bought one of these to replace the 95E:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...pID=31-XIZqpaaL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

However they no longer make them and the price has gone way up. I paid about $69 for mine, headshell included. It literally took 20 seconds to plug it up. Easy, tracks at 1.4 and sounds way better than the 95E. I'm sure AT makes an equivilent cartridge when these finally go out of stock.

L.P. likes this.
  15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

L.P. likes this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I recommend the new Audio Technica VM540ML that is a serious cartridge with performance way beyond it's price. If it is too expensive, the $95 Grado Green2 is superior to the AT-120e and MP-110. The Grado Green2 has that midrange magic that comes thru unlike the AT-120e or MP-110 (a little dull sounding) and strong bass response. If you have a heavy medium mass tone arm, get a 6 gram light weight head shell for the Grado Green- about $6.

Note- I have not heard the VM520eb.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    L.P. likes this.
  17. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I'd just buy an LP Gear Shibata stylus for your prefitted AT95e, and a conical one too. I don't think that bigger cartridge upgrades would be worthwhile on this turntable.

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

How does the M97xe match up with those turntables?

19. MikeInFla

Interesting. Personally the 540ML is a bit out of my price range but the VM20EBH comes with a headshell (I assume the author wanted a new headshell as well).

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...=1535467417&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=at+vm520ebh

Without the headshell it is $119.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...TF8&qid=1535467514&sr=8-1&keywords=at+vm520eb

If I were to upgrade I would probably only need the "blue" stylus as a lot of these are "snap and play" and it would fit my current 100e. Interesting, when my 100e wears out I will probably get this one but I could not find anuy decent reviews. Since my 100e is pretty much new I won't need one for a while and hopefully more reviews will be available.

L.P. likes this.
  20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The VM540ML & VM520EBH are so new, hardly anyone has professionally reviewed the cartridges besides a little non flattering feedback on Amazon. I did find a review in Germany on the VM540ML and they thought the cartridge is great. In fact, better than the higher cost VM740ML series.

21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

One buyer review of the VM520eb. 'Take with a grain of salt'.

Comments about Audio-Technica VM520EB Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge:

Too much emphasis on the mid to high frequencies compared to my other phono pickups (Grado & Shure). Should have returned it but outside the 30 day window for returns. Not at good match for my at-lp120usb or SL-1500MK2. Purchase through Amazon head shell & cartridge combo. BTW, have lower the treble way down to be listenable.

I also found this on youtube.

22. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Same here with great results.

Maccaroni likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

Yeah I saw that video but thought it was a rather poor review as it really didn't discuss it. I am sure it is fine for the price which would probably suit me just fine. There's people that don't like the 100E but it sounds great on my LP-120. If I were to ever get in a pinch I still have the 95E on stand-by.

I also noticed ZZounds.com has the 540ML Audio-Technica VM540ML MicroLine Nude and if it is out of your price range they offer payment plans. I bought my AT LP120usb from them and did the payment plan, worked out pretty good. Not having to pay all at once.

L.P. likes this.
  24. MikeInFla

@L.P. keep us updated on what you decide to do. Today I just discovered there is a new and improved 95E called the AT 95EX.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078BQ7F5...bde1-55d2d480737a&ie=UTF8&qid=1535548355&sr=2

And if you buy the stylus only it's only $45. It's easy to replace. Just remove the headshell, pop off the old 95E stylus and click the new one into place. Sometimes it takes a little force to remove and replace but it's a simply process and cheaper than buying the whole cartridge.

L.P. likes this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’ve been very happy with an AT440MLB on my LP120. Very clean and accurate and tracks better than the stock AT95E. I plan to get the VM540ml Or VM740ML next, so I think those would be smart upgrades for the OP

MikeInFla and L.P. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.