Upgrade cartridge on Audio Technica LP120usb

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by L.P., Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident Thread Starter

To upgrade or not upgrade, that's the question! It would be interesting to have a second headshell/cartrige system, but I am not sure if it's worth the small difference.

And small it is, I suspect, because I don't hear much of a difference in the youtube clips and because opinions differ so much. Some say the Nagaoka MP110 beats everything else in that price-range, others say it's the Grado Green. Some say the AT95e is so cheap thus not good (tolerances!) others say it has the same stylus as the VM520eb and the reason it's cheaper is just that it's mass-produced.

And then there are those who tell you that your turntable is too cheap and not good enough to invest in a good cartridge.

I guess that's why I love lasers so much! :D

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I had a LP120 with a AT95e and a AT440MLb, each was fitted with its own head-shell so I could swap between them and while the 440Mlb was better I can't say I was suffering with the 95e. However I'm also one of these idiots who prefers listening to FLAC stored on a NAS so perhaps you would be better off disregarding my opinion.

L.P. likes this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

For me it was easier just to buy the headshell combo. I didn't really wanna fool with removing the 95E and replacing it with the 100E. I just stuck the 95E headshell into the holder in the back of the turntable and it is out of the way and available if I should decide to use it. I like my AT-LP120. No issues and i bought it in 2013 and it is used almost daily. When I first got it I had an issue with the left channel going out. I e-mailed AT tech support and heard back within 15 minutes. They said to make sure the green wire had a good connection. Mine was a bit loose so I "snugged it up" and never had another problem.

lesterbangs and L.P. like this.
  4. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I've always liked the sound of the 95E...probably the best sounding cart in its price range, and a very solid performer regardless of price. I was able to snag a few of the A-T EX styli (the red ones) from a German reseller, which in my case have made a good thing even better. In terms of an "upgrade" for the 95E that the 120 comes with, it might be worth the effort to experiment with different/better replacement styli and see where that gets you in terms of improved sound.

The AT95E and the 95EX use the same cart body; only the styli are different -- and they're interchangeable. The EX stylus (red) has a slightly narrower elliptical profile as compared to the E (green). You can "upgrade" your 95E to a 95EX simply by swapping the stylus.

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Even if a turntable is "cheap", a better stylus will treat your records better, and for that reason alone, it is worth it to "upgrade" to a better cart.
    Did I just say, better better better? :laugh:

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. L.P.

Yes, I considered that, but how does a AT95e stylus treat my records bad? It's 0.3x0.7 elliptical bonded, the same as on the VM520eb. What is the difference?

7. Chris Schoen

Well, if the specs are the same, it's not an "upgrade" then, is it? :shrug:

8. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

If you swap it for the EX stylus, then yes, it is an upgrade, and an easy one, too.

L.P. likes this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The new VM95 range that AT just announced to replace the AT95s should be a good choice for upgrading. The stylus upgrades include a microline and a shibata! Plus the body has threaded screw holes. Nice.

10. Chris Schoen

Yes, I noticed that. I may check out the Shibata version. Wonder how the sound would differ from an elliptical...

11. L.P.

Stupid question: when you swap cartridges, do you have to re-balance the tonearm every time (if you are using the same tracking force)?

I guess those headshells and and cartridges from different brands don't weigh the same?

12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Since mine is a different headshell and cart, yes I have to rebalance. The AT-100e tracks at 1.4 but it only takes a few minutes to do with a digital scale.

I assume if you use the 95E then replace the stylus with 95EX you wouldn't have to redo anything because it's basically the same cart. But I'd read tracking force on 95EX first. I think 95EX is pretty much the same so no rebalance would need to be done if using the same headshell.

L.P. and tables_turning like this.
  13. L.P.

I decided to order a Nagaoka MP110h from amazon.co.jp (for € 135.5 including shipping and taxes, compared to €160-180 from everywhere around here) and it arrived impressive three days later, one day earlier than the estimated delivery. Japan to China to Leipzig, Germany to Ljubljana, Slovenia to Austria in three days, don't know why DHL bounced it round in Europe so much.

Now, I never aligned a cartridge before. The AT95e on my AT-LP120 came pre-aligned. I have printed the protractor for the AT-LP120 from Audio-Technica's internet site. Funny thing is, the Nagaoka hits both points out of the box. So it is pre-aligned also, it seems. Is this always the case when you buy the cartridge with the headshell? I can't imagine, with all the different tonearms. Or am I just lucky?

14. Chris Schoen

If the headshell that the Nag came "pre-mounted" on was for "S-shaped" arms, it probably is aligned roughly correct. If it squares with your protractor points, you are probably good to go.

nosliw likes this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If it matches your tonearm well, yes. Grado might be a little too compliant for that arm. A Nagaoka will work fine on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.