Upgrade my Thorens TD280 MK IV!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Partyslammer, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church Thread Starter

I have what I understand to be a low end Thorens 280 Mk4 turntable with a Stanton 5000 MK III cartridge. I was basically a desk ornament in my home theater rack when I got out of vinyl about 20 years ago and just recently started using it again after replacing the belt. Overall, it's not a bad little TT even if the deadwax rumble is a bit higher than I figure it should be. but I'm getting the itch to maybe upgrade the cartridge and maybe go for something..... new. I prefer belt drive TTs and I have grounding issues due to my home not having "to code" outlets (they aren't truly grounded in the wall) so it doesn't matter that I ground the TT to the Receiver, thus I sometimes get unwanted hum when too much static builds on a album in play.

So, ummmm..... options that don't call for ripping out the walls and redoing my house's electrical? And buying either a superior cartridge for The Thorens or a new Turntable rig under $1,000 that significantly surpasses what I currently have?

2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

The new Pioneer PLX 1000 ($699 everwhere) got a rave review in Stereophile last month. It's a direct drive manual patterned after the venerable Technics SL 1210. Upgrades over the Technics are provisions for detachable, instead of captive, phono interconnects and power cord. Probably some others but I recall those two. This table, paired with a Shure M97xe ($75) or a Denon DL110($210) cartridge, should be an upgrade from your current deck/cartridge combo (still quite nice tho) for under $1,000.

3. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

These specs aren't bad, especially compared to the new DD turntables hitting the market.

THORENS TD 280 Mk II TURNTABLE SPECIFICATIONS:

* Drive System: 2 Speed Belt Drive

* Motor: Low Voltage 24 pole synchronos motor with slip clutch for instantaneous start

* Speeds: 331/3 and 45 RPM

* Motor Speed Control: 2 phase generator

* Turntable Platter: 2.64 pound (1.2 kg) zinc alloy, dynamically balanced

* Wow & Flutter: Less than 0.045 % (DIN 45 507)

* Rumble: -70 dB

* Offset Angle: 23 degrees

* Overhang: 16.4mm

* Effective Mass: 12.5g

* Dimensions:

… Width: 17.3” (440mm)

… Depth: 14.0” (355mm) … with Lid Closed

… Height: 5.31” (135mm) … with Lid Closed

* Weight: 16.5 pounds (7.5 kg) unpacked

Edit: These specs are for a MK II, not the MK IV

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Partyslammer has a "TD280 MK IV!!!!", which must be very rare ;)

5. Partyslammer

Well, being the Mk IV, it did rate 4 exclamation points.

6. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

My .02 - since you just got back on the vinyl train, stand pat for a while....these here upgrades slopes are slippery.....once you start it's a long expensive ride.....best to make sure you want it badly enough.

utahusker likes this.
  7. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I would be starting out with a good relube of everything, the main bearing in particular. If it is in need you will be getting some rumble. You could certainly do a nice cart upgrade as well.

Then I'd start rewiring the house. You don't have to rip out the walls to do the job, just do some good investigation and see how the internal structures run. We are about 3/4 of the way through doing our 1911 house (3 stories plus basement) and it really is worth it in so many ways. Big job, yes, but with careful planning you can do it room by room and circuit by circuit and it won't be overwhelming. One of the good parts is redesigning the layout for life in the modern world with all of the electrical things we run. Plenty of doubled receptacles going in around here.

8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Been there before! Just step back and breath, and don't spend too many mortgage payments :)

I was on a cartridge "upgrade" ride for tens of thousands of dollars before I figured it out.

9. Partyslammer

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the turntable, I do notice low frequency rumble with the table on with no record and the sound at "0" reference level. Thus a relube is in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.