Upgrade Options - Need Help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gregpaulus, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregpaulus

gregpaulus New Member Thread Starter

Hey all! I am a new poster to this forum, although I have read many posts through the years. My question for you is what part of my 2-channel audio system should I upgrade next? I have a basic 2-channel system focues on vinyl, and I have no desire to add a digital front-end (CD, tuner, etc). Today I have a Project Debut Carbon TT, with a Ortofon Blue cartridge, a Rega Brio-R integrated amp, and Rega RS5 speakers. I am using basic heavy gauge cables and interconnects. My initial thought is to upgrade my TT, but would love your thoughts on where my weakest link is. Thanks in advance!

2. gregpaulus

gregpaulus New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm greeting.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

:)

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for the belated greeting, must've been one of those days. Sometimes the forum gets inundated with posts like yours asking for basic upgrade suggestions, and I think people might get a little weary of them. It's nothing personal, and I know everyone likes to think their situation is unique, but there are a lot of similar threads.

What do you think the strengths and weaknesses of the system are? Most would probably say that the turntable and cartridge are the weak point, but it would also probably take some serious money to get significantly better too. Do you have any budget in mind?

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes sorry as well you didn't get more of a welcome. Welcome! I think another issue is, and I'm no vinyl expert, but that setup looks pretty well balanced to me. I think if you are going to upgrade something, you might end up needing to upgrade everything. After all I think most around here would agree it is about balance and each link in the chain. My gut reaction is maybe speakers, but then I have not heard yours; again, any significant jump there might like a better matching amp; then all that may want a better TT.

What is your system telling you now, what do you like or don't like about it?

Another thing to consider is your power distribution, and even your rack, is anything going on there to isolate components. Maybe spend some time there next before moving on.

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I didn’t see it before either. Must have been posted in a real busy time.

I’m not familiar with the amp and speakers, but my first thought would be a dedicated Phono stage. Maybe an ART DJ II. Might be $50 well spent.

I think the best money spent at entry level is a music service Sub and streamer. More music options is better than slightly better sound until you are ready to dive in the much deeper water.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I'm pretty sure the Rega phono stage in the Brio is way better than something like the ART. That said, phono stages are fun to play with and often the first step further up the high end ladder since it doesn't take too much outlay. There are some good threads here on tube phono stages below $1000. And the used market can be a very good way to start up that phono stage ladder (or down the rabbit hole, as some around here have found), for instance there is a very nice phono stage in the Musical Surrounding Phonomena II+ that's been sitting on USAM for awhile now at $450 ... Musical Surroundings Phonomena II ... which would give you the additional option of exploring low output moving coil cartridges at some point too (there's a guy on AA selling a pretty nice NIB Benz Micro MC Gold for $375 ... Benz Micro MC Gold Low Output Moving Coil - New in Box - Audio Asylum Trader ). Could possibly score them both for around $700 or so, that might be a nice option, but just one of many ways you could go.

And I agree with above, it does look like you have a pretty well balanced system now, so I would think more in big steps up than lower cost (and possibly) lateral moves.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I've had a Phonomena II and it's a classic, but I think the Debut Carbon is going to be a limitation. I only recommended the ART because it is very highly regarded at that level and gives some options to play with in gain and loading (but nothing like the Phonomena. I don't know how good the Brio internal is. My experience with Rega has not been as stellar as some, but never had one of their amps.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

The ART is a pretty respectable preamp IME. I preferred it over a couple internal units. Its frequency range is well balanced and it's surprisingly quiet.

Another interesting option is the new MoFi stage with mono button, subsonic filter and adjustable load/gain settings. I also like that its fixed capacitance is only 100pf -- more sensible than the common 150 - 200pf.

StudioPhono Phonostage

I agree that the Debut turntable is probably the greatest limitation.

BayouTiger likes this.
  9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I think you're right. I have a Debut Carbon and it somehow limits your possibilities. It's a good basic table: it keeps speed, is relatively silent and has a good arm. If it's working properly with no hum, it won't damage your records, will play fine and might be enough for many people. But since you want to upgrade, there are better options out there. However, I suppose you'll have to spend a bit more. Anything in the same price range would likely be just a side move.

10. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

New TT

punkmusick likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of the Pro-Ject, I'd get something better. Then maybe think about moving up to a better cartridge.

punkmusick likes this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Welcome to the forums! Based on what you own, why not consider a new Rega Planar turntable? It would be a nice match with your system.

Jasonb likes this.
  13. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

As someone else said, it looks like a well balanced system. I'd upgrade the turntable and as mentioned, a Rega would fit. See if you can audition a P3. I know dealers who will give you 48 hours to return. Even online dealers like Music Direct give 2 months but you'll have to pay return shipping.

bmoregnr and McLover like this.
  14. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Since an all Rega system is purported to work well together,Rega Planar 3.Or go wild and get the Planar 6.

vinylvin and punkmusick like this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Welcome! And just upgrade everything at once! Blow your whole wad of cash!
    OK, that's probably not a good idea. I too think people were a bit "scared off" from posting because you don't have an obvious weak link. Speakers make far and away the biggest difference to the sound, so that's one place to start. But it depends how attached you are to your current speakers, which appear to be a good design. And usually to get clearly better (as opposed to merely different) speakers you have to spend several times the price.

bmoregnr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.