Upgrade sl1200...or buy something else?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LaLaGusta, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaLaGusta

LaLaGusta Member Thread Starter

I have a fully stock Technics sl1200 mk2, with a Shure m98xe cartridge. While I am very pleased with the sound quality of the system, I have no doubt that better sounding systems exist (although nothing I have heard from a cursory listening in any of the audiophile stores sounded unambiguously better).

I am aware that virtually every part of this turntable can be upgraded. I'm wondering if I should put this money towards upgrades, or save up for a fundamentally superior platform. And that is the key. I dont know what that is. What price point am I looking at for a turntable that is unambiguously sonically superior? Any individual turntable recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, what could one expect a fully upgraded Technics sl1200 to compete with sonically, and at what price range?

Thanks!

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I know @Upinsmoke felt his KAB modified 1200 was every bit as good or better then a VPI Classic, a $3K table. I've heard many other people say the same things. I know some of the upgrades like the fluid damper (which is said to be one of the more important ones) is relatively affordable and can be installed by a novice

As an aside, I owned a stock 1200MK2 and I had to get a $1500 Clearaudio Concept to better it.

3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Honestly, if you're "very pleased" with your SL1200MK2 -- as you should be, it's a classic for a reason -- why exactly are you looking to upgrade?

As I've said elsewhere on these boards, the SL1200MK2 (and its sister, the SL1400MK2, which I've enjoyed for years) is the Volkswagen of turntables: it's nothing fancy, but it runs great, is very easily modded or rebuilt, and it wears like iron.

If you're happy with how it sounds now, maybe experiment with a different cartridge if you have an urge to just fiddle with things (a lot of people seem to like AT and Denon carts for this table, I've got an Ortofon Blue currently and love it), but otherwise, if there's not anything else in your system could use an upgrade, just put your feet up and enjoy!

Rolltide likes this.
  4. LaLaGusta

I'm not looking to upgrade immediately by any means. But, coming from the digital side of things, I have been amazed by what some audio upgrades can do---like a serious DAC---and have gotten the impression that if a lot of audiophiles swear by something...there is probably a reason for it. In essence; I try to keep an open mind...but not keep my wallet anymore open then necessary, which is a trick ;)

Speaking of cartridges, I have a question for you. I really like the Shure sound signature. Is there anything higher end than what I got that you can recommend that is equally smooth and non fatiguing?

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the 98, but I assume it's along the lines of the 97, which again is a workhorse for a reason. I do know that some people have said that they're not crazy about moving from a Shure cart to a Grado cart because they think the Grado cart reveals more flaws in the recording quality. I've never spent enough time listening to a Grado cart to have an opinion on that, but I will say that I didn't have any problem moving from a Shure M97xE to an Ortofon Blue, and I don't find the Blue fatiguing in the least. I can -- and do! -- listen to a half dozen LPs in a row on a slow afternoon without a problem.

6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I highly recommend the KAB fluid damper for that 1200.

Carts that i found match well with the 1200:

Denon dl110
    Shure m35x ( for old mono jazz, or beat up 12" dance/techno)
    Shure M97xe
    Dynavector 20x2

McLover, patient_ot and LaLaGusta like this.
  7. LaLaGusta

I meant 97xe whoops

8. LaLaGusta

thanks for the suggestions!

theron d likes this.
  9. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

When you find the magic as you obviously have. Stay with it.

Pieter Kozak, johnny q and Aftermath like this.
  10. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Hi there Rolltide,

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why and it doesn't make sense that something so much more expensive didn't sound so much more expensive and better. I went from a Goldring 2500 to a Soundsmith Zephyr and from the 1210 to a Classic 2. Granted, there were quality control issues that required a new plinth that took quite a while to get resolve and by that point it was only memory of the 1210 I had and not a valid comparison side by side. What really put me to thinking and listening in a very critical manner was comments from others that only occasionally listened to my system and said it just sounded flat and lifeless with the VPI table.

It was not for lack of trying - new phono pre (Rogue Ares), recommended VPI turntable cable ($250), Fozometer (another $300), protractor from Yip, another protractor from Dr. Feickert, tried many different configurations and it did sound poorly for the price. That is comparing it to a table I had Kevin do just about everything to outside of rewire the tonearm. Also it was the Classic 2 , so it was $4,000.00 not $3,000.00 retail.

Just took that whole last paragraph out I typed - smooth calm flowing river haha. Not even going to bother writing it.

It wasn't till I brought the Rega into my system that I started to really hear all the descriptive things that reviewers so vaguely and ineffectively try to equate from sound to words. It's just like "getting something" where the moment of clarity hits. The "thats what they are talking about moment".

Rega to me was a brand in use that just appealed to me, the setup was a breeze compared to the two. I went from dozens of hours spent tweaking to about a total of 30 minutes or so since I've had the table (which has been several months). That's not using a Rega cartridge either, if I had it would have taken about 5 minutes to have perfect!

It could be a comparison also of a house sound of the tables, but honestly isn't the house sound supposed to sound good?

My local dealer tried to steer me to a Clearaudio table , and it did sound great in the store, but I had my heart set on a VPI at the time and like so many decisions that are based on feelings and not sound reasoning there was probably nothing he was going to do to dissuade me. He was telling me the right choices but I chose not to listen but be swayed by my heart.

I never thought my Technics with a Goldring ever sounded bad, this forum was one of the main reasons I went the way I did instead of my usual methods of investigation into something new. I'll never be swayed like that. I will only go by what I hear with my own ears , but always open to suggestions and maintain an open mind about most things.

Aftermath and Rolltide like this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'll be "that guy" and suggest an audio-technica at440mlb. i have one (actually the old at440mla) on my SL1100 and it's great.

12. Upinsmoke

Talk to Kevin at KAB. The guy won't steer you wrong. You would be amazed how much the sound can be improved. His mods are reasonably priced and you can get some great saving on cartridges from him too.

KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com ยป

onlysleeping, patient_ot and OcdMan like this.
  13. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

This indeed is a great step up from the Shure. The shure I found to be too soft and warm, The At440 is a superb Cart for the price, i would upgrade the stylus before you start messing with the table. You might be just a stylus away from finding that magic like I did with my SL1210

Aftermath likes this.
  14. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I think most SL1200 mods are overrated. I have been down that road. For the money invested in band aid tweaks it's better to just start with a proper arm, kab psu, and maybe a dynavector cart. On the other hand you can flip it for another deck. You can buy a 1200 any day of the week.

Hendertuckie likes this.
  15. arem

arem Forum Resident

If you are already happy with the stock 1200 you should definitely consider getting the tonearm rewired (or do it yourself), it really is an obvious immediate improvement. You can play around with different carts for years, but they will all sound better with that upgrade in place. All of the other upgrades (fluid damper, different platter mats, special feet, etc) you can chase if you have serial upgrade-itis, but start with the wiring you won't regret it. I had mine done by Kevin at KAB and recommend his work highly.

dogpile likes this.
  16. Upinsmoke

Funny, back when I bought my table from Kevin and had it modded he told me then that rewiring the arm was not necessary and not going to add a lot. The outboard power supply and fluid damper were the biggies. I also had the strobe disconnect board added.

17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

He only says that about the mk5 models. The ones with OFC wiring. I skipped the rewire on the m5g I bought from him. He actually said the m5g didn't need much and I completely agree.

clhboa and Upinsmoke like this.
  18. Upinsmoke

Gotcha. Now that you mention it he told me the same thing. Forgot about that .

rebellovw likes this.
  19. Upinsmoke

Damm I still wish I had that table.

Rolltide, Aftermath and rebellovw like this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah - I remember the excitement of ordering my new M5G from Kevin - he was great to deal with. I just got back into Vinyl and was using my very old sl220 that I bought new from Pacific Stereo in the 80's. The sl220 had lots of noise/hum and the speed was off even after cleaning the pots.

When the M5G arrived and I hooked it up - wow - what an upgrade - black/dead silent and spot on speed control - cart sounded fantastic - best most noticable audio upgrade I've done and my first.

Every other upgrade (turntable wise)since has been much less pronounced.

Upinsmoke likes this.
  21. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

IIRC that's why I didn't have mine rewired either. I did go with the other two mods though.

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

That makes sense. Mine is a MK5.

23. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'd ditch the 1200, they're the worst and you can do waaaay better. :p (I'll buy it of ya)

Dr. Bogenbroom and Rolltide like this.
  24. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have a stock 1200 MKII and I also purchased a very modded 1200MKII from @action pact . The modded 1200 destroys the stock table. I use an AT150MLX on it and I have absolutely no desire to look further for vinyl playback. Mod your 1200 and if it doesn't blow you away, sell it and move on.

dogpile and patient_ot like this.
  25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I just talked to Kevin at KAB to order some of his KAB Cardas litz speaker cable. Very nice guy. Talked for awhile about the audiophile world in general and specifically the old SL 1200 and the new version that's due to be released soon. I really like my Clearaudio Concept Wood, but by the time I hung up with him and I was seriously considering an SL1200!

Wally Swift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.