Upgrade Suggestions - Speakers, Cartridge or TT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OldSkoolFool, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Forum Resident

On an analog rig I'd experiment with phono stage. Can make a breathtaking difference.

Otherwise, analog or digital, I'd experiment with power cables. I know, I know, contentious subject, but I got a lot of mileage by upgrading my power supply (power conditioner, power cables, removing all switching supplies with either linear, or battery powered). Electrical power is a problem, it can muddy up sound reproduction, so attacking the noise from that side could open up new vistas in your system.

2. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Alex. I'm happy with my phono stage right now. I think I am going to concentrate on the speakers first. I'll look into the power side of things as well once I get everything else up to snuff.

3. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Considering all the praise, if I were upgrading speakers the Elacs would be at the top of my list.

4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Two things I liked better about the RP-280f. The frequency response, and the new tweeter housing made of a softer rubber material. One of the big knocks on Klipsch is how overly bright many people think they are. That housing just takes the edge off of 'em without sounding like they've been veiled. When I heard the RP compared to the RF's, it was an easy decision for me to go with the RP's. But those RF's have many fans, and deservedly so.

5. OldSkoolFool

After doing more research I am beginning to think that I don't need the size of the 280F and that perhaps the 250 and a new sub might be better suited for my modest living space.

6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The RB-81's, if you can still find them, are about $329/pair, and will be driven nicely by your receiver, avoiding the need to upgrade that for a while. If your Orbit has a built-in phono stage - that's what I would upgrade next, and then the cart - as someone here said, just pop a Blue stylus on it, for a sizable improvement. Also consider an isolation platform under your TT, Auralex Iso-Tone for $80 does a great job for the money.

Oh, sorry, just noticed you're using the Mani. I'd definitely upgrade that part, to something tubed, perhaps, like a Pro-Ject Tube Box S, or maybe a Vincent PHO-700.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  7. OldSkoolFool

Thanks Benzion. I have the room for Floorstanders so I want to keep with that. I use an external Schiit Mani phono stage and it's amazing. I will definitely look at the Iso-Tone. And yes, the blue stylus is next on the list after the speaker upgrades.

8. Benzion

If it's floor standers you're looking for, may I suggest something I myself own and enjoy - Wharfedale Diamond 10.7. They're 3-way, 3-crossover model, with bass going down to 30 Hz, I believe, or 32, at most, and Music Direct now sells them for $699 a pair - a steal! and they sound great. Another good choice - KEF Q-900, for about $900/pair, directly form KEFdirect.com. Both are Stereophile-recommended, BTW. Both are 90dB sensitive. What's the power rating of your receiver? My Yamaha R-S201 drives a pairs of 90 db 6 Ohm PSB's without a hitch, in the bedroom.

9. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Yep, they definitely are large speakers. If you're referring to the RP 250's, they will have the same softer rubber tweeter surround as the 280's. Combined with a sub you'll be a happy camper for sure!

OldSkoolFool likes this.
  10. Benzion

Just looked up your receiver - it's 80W and 6 Ohm rated. The Wharfedale's are 6 Ohm and 90 dB - will be driven nicely by the Yamaha and save you the need to upgrade the amp for now. I also believe Music Direct will accept returns, if you're not happy. I don't mean to knock the big Klipsch in any way, but - many people DO find them bright, and that may necessitate a purchase of a sub, and they're nowhere near being a recommended component in any audiophile publication of note. Wharfedale's are, the 10.7's.

Just to do the math: Wharf's $699; Project Tube phono $449 (I own one, and love it), Blue stylus $148 (from William Thakker, a German eBayer everyone on this forum buys from) = $1,296 - right about your budget. Add $80 for the isolation platform and your system will be transformed pretty magically.

With time, you may choose to upgrade the amp and turntable, but, for now it will not be necessary, the change will be profound as is.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  11. OldSkoolFool

Thank you Benzion for your input and suggestions. I will look at the Wharfs and do some research. I love all of the suggestions. This place is amazing.

Benzion likes this.
  12. OldSkoolFool

I was thinking about things and I've realized that I prefer more dynamic "in your face" sound as opposed to warmer and more subdued sound. For instance my first TT I got had a Grado Black cartridge in it and I really hated it. Everything was too mellow and cozy. I switched over to an Ortofon OM5E and fell in love with the punch it had compared to the "warm" Grado. I then upgraded to the 2M Red and am very happy with the sound I am getting out of it. Looking forward to the Blue and I think I will be set for while as far as cartridges go.

That being said I think I'm leaning toward the Klipsch. I went to Best Buy to try and audition them and they only had the lower end models in a stock kiosk to listening so I couldn't listen to the RP speakers.

I love my BIC center speaker so I'm planning on keeping that. To hell with speaker matching!

I'm looking at both the VTF-1 and Speedwoofer 10S for subs. Not sure if I need that much bass in my townhouse. Poor neighbors.

13. OldSkoolFool

Well... I lucked out and found a pair of RP-250's on Crutchfield that were scratch and dent for $318 each. Plus no tax and free shipping. So for $637 I have just joined the Klipsch club!

Rob9874 likes this.
  14. OldSkoolFool

Got my speakers yesterday. Let me tell you, I searched high and low and couldn't find a dent or scratch on these babies. One of the boxes was taped up after being a bit mangled but everything inside was cherry. Hooking them up tonight or tomorrow and I will give impressions.

15. OldSkoolFool

Gave a pretty good listen last night.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Vinyl
    Rocket Juice & The Moon - Vinyl
    Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor Blues Essentials - Vinyl
    Schubert: Impromptus - Murray Perahia - CD

Everything sounded super clean and right on the money. Much more in my face than the Pioneer FS22's I had hooked up prior. I was hearing subtle details in the instruments on Kind of Blue that I have never heard before. On Rocket Juice I can hear Flea's fingers plucking the bass strings and Albarn's voice sounded fantastic. By the time I got to Howlin' Wolf I had to keep the volume down a bit as it was 9:00 pm and I was really tempted to crank it up to hear it the way it was intended to be played. Schubert sounded clean and crisp with the piano notes feeling heavy and weighty but with no brightness that I was worried I might detect.

My only knock thus far is that I need more bass. My subwoofer is a little Energy Take Classic sub that came with my original package. I have my speakers on my Yamaha receiver set to small and the crossover set to 80Hz but I feel like I need more. Tonight I will be able to open it up a bit more and increase the volume on my playback. Hopefully that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.