Upgrade to Rega Planar 3 from Technics SL-1200 MKII?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pop Kids, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know the premise of the post seems ridiculous, but let me explain. I'm headed down the upgrade path and I really need input from the forums. New to this, so be nice!

Here's what I'm working with:

Klipsch Forte IIs
    SVS SB-1000 powered sub
    Yamaha RS-500
    Technics SL-1200 MKII
    AT440MLb cart (time for a new needle, for sure)

So as you can see, nothing fancy here. Modest for sure. I listen to primarily 70s and 80s pop and rock.

Here's the question: Given my current setup, do you think the Rega Planar 3 would be held back by my other components? Does the Rega Planar 3 only make sense if I upgrade the other gear first?

If the Rega Planar 3 doesn't make sense, can y'all recommend a cart for the Technics that would upgrade my sound? The AT440MLb has been great to me. I was dealing with IGD, and as we all know, that's a non-issue with this cart. But it is a little bright. Any suggestions on something less bright but still good at managing IGD? Open to suggestions on an appropriate turntable upgrade as well.

If you think the Rega does make sense, now that you know I'm worried about IGD, any input on the Elys 2 cartridge? I've read that was causing lots of IGD headaches.

Any input y'all have much appreciated. Thanks. -Ken

2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I'm going to throw you a curveball. I owned the Planar 3 for over a year, and I am currently using a Yamaha AS-801 amp. The biggest bang for your buck right now would be upgrading your phono stage. The internal Yamaha stages are ok, but not up to the level of their line stages and amplifiers. 300 dollars will get you into a Lounge, which would be a nice upgrade. I went with the Sutherland KCVibe for 900 dollars and it would let you run a LO MC in the future. The Sutherland would be my recommendation, and then get your new table later. If you could swing it, I would skip the Planar 3 and get the P6/Ania combo. Its a huge upgrade from the P3.

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I love Rega. I think the new P3 is a terrific turntable with a wide variety of cartridges including the Rega Exact 2 and Rega Ania. All that said, your Technics SL1200 MKII is still superior to the P3 or the older RP3, IMO.

You want great - truly great - sound out of your SL1200 MKII? Buy a great cartridge and be amazed at how terrific your existing turntable really is. Use the P3 budget to, instead, buy a great cartridge and you’ll end up a truly superior system.

Check out some truly great MM cartridges like the Clearaudio Maestro V2, Nagaoka MP-500, Ortofon 2M Black and few others, and prepare to be astonished at how good things can be.

A properly set up budget or low-priced MM cartridge should not produce inner groove distortion that is dominant or objectionable. A properly set up high-end MM cartridge should reduce IGD to essentially inaudible levels on any SL1200 MKII in good condition. If you’re getting objectionable IGD, either your cartridge/arm alignment and setup are flawed or your stylus is badly worn or a combination of the two things.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I second the recommendation for an outboard phono stage. The phono sections in Yamaha's lower end receivers/ integrateds leave a lot to be desired. Even a $200 Parasound Z-Phono would be a substantial upgrade. You'll get more bang for your buck upgrading the phono stage as it's definitely the weak link in your system.

I think a substantial upgrade over a 1200mkII would likely require something on the level of a P6 or MoFi Ultradeck.

Regarding your bright cart, try lowering the tail of the tonearm if possible.

Stan94, SirMarc, H8SLKC and 4 others like this.
  5. The Pop Kids

Already so helpful. I thought you guys might reply this way. Okay- so new stage and cart. Fine.

So then:

Budget $500: ?
    Budget $1,000: ?

H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  6. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Don't know how the SL1200 arm compares to the SL1400 arm but, I gave a friend a Sumiko Blue Point that tracked so-so in my Rega Planar2. Matter of fact it tracked poorly. But in his SL1400-1500 whatever, it tracked perfectly and had a nice smooth detailed sound with a very nice tuneful bass. And zero IGD. The Denon DL100 also tracks well and from all I've read sounds fabulous in the SL1200 Technics.

H8SLKC, The Pop Kids and Wngnt90 like this.
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I don't know how the rest of your system sounds, and I'm a Rega fan, but if the Technics is in good order I would keep it and spend the money elsewhere e.g. cartridge or phono stage. If you have a local dealer you should be able to test the latter either in store or at home (borrowed) and see for yourself easily.

H8SLKC, displayname and The Pop Kids like this.
  8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Vintage Technics SL-1200MKII is a fine TT when in good condition. The new replacement SL-1200 is $4K. But not exactly the same as vintage Technics.

The Pop Kids likes this.
  9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

The new SL-1200G is $4k
    The new SL-1200GR is $1,700

displayname likes this.
  10. The Pop Kids

Mine is mint and I'm the original owner. Y'all seem more or less unanimous: Best way to spend my cash at this point is on a phono stage and a nice cart.

Leonthepro, JNTEX and displayname like this.
  11. The Pop Kids

Technics is mint and I'm the original owner. Now on the hunt for a stage and a cart. THANK YOU!

12. The Pop Kids

Appreciate the curveball. Others seem to agree with you. I’ll focus on a stage and upgraded cart. Thanks!

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  13. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I run the KAB PROS30. Basically am OM 30 stylus. Nice cart for about $300

displayname and The Pop Kids like this.
  14. Erik Tracy

The Mk2 can definitely handle higher performing carts.

Good luck/fun with your search!

15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Then keep it and in the future leave it to your children and grandchildren.

16. The Pop Kids

Sage advice. First daughter was born in December. I’ll keep it and focus on a new stage and cart!

thxphotog, displayname and punkmusick like this.
  17. The Pop Kids

Cool. Any problems with IGD? How’s the bass?

displayname likes this.
  18. The Pop Kids

Any idea if my 1200 has to be modified to accommodate either of these carts?

displayname likes this.
  19. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Absolutely not! Should be fine on that table. ;)

20. The Pop Kids

Awesome! That Denon is calling my name. Reviews are in and you’re right: People LOVE it.

displayname likes this.
  21. Erik Tracy

Isn't the Denon DL-A100 a low output moving coil?

Will that work as a straight in connection to the OP's RS-500?

Or is this about the Denon DL-110?

22. The Pop Kids

The DL-110, I believe?

displayname likes this.
  23. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

He needs a good phono section regardless. Might as well get one capable of using a MC cart.

displayname and Helom like this.
  24. Erik Tracy

It could be taken in steps.

Get the high output MC DL-110 first, then get an ext phono preamp, or step up to a better integrated amp with a corresponding better internal phono-pre.

These do exist.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  25. The Pop Kids

Was thinking the MC DL-110 and the MoFi StudioPhono. All at once...

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.