Upgraded my DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cupids_bow, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain Thread Starter

After a fair bit of research on this forum (thank you by the way, this forum is a great resource and I found all the data points I needed to make the decision) I’ve decided to upgrade my old DAC Cambridge Audio Dacmagic first generation to a PS Audio Nuwave DSD 32 - although not the latest one that they make but still represents a big leap and it fit my budget. Found a great deal for $899 brand new with free shipping, I believe it retailed for $1300 when it first came out.

I realize it still needs to break in, but after plugging it in and turning it on for the first time the improvement from my old Dacmagic was immediate and quite discernable. I’m streaming Tidal Hifi/Roon. It helps also that Roon has native support for the PS Audio. Gone was the very bright and no lows of the Cambridge. I now have bass! Tight and crisp, exactly what I was looking for. And the clarity of the mids and highs is more natural sounding with a very nice soundstage.

Listened to my go to reference track Riders On The Storm by the Doors via Tidal/Roon (I have both the LP and SACD) and I dare say Ray Manzarek’s keyboard has never sounded better on my modest system.

Overall very pleased and excited to hear better sound to come when the Nuwave fully breaks in.

Soundslave, timind, Mr Bass and 5 others like this.
  2. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

3. Cupids_bow

So I just hooked up my sacd player to the Nuwave, holy mackerel! Wow. Even my dog started barking when I played Floyd’s Shine on you crazy diamond, lol.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  4. Chauphuong

Chauphuong Member

Cambridge Audio Stuffs are always too bright. They should hire someone else with better ears.

5. Cupids_bow

Yes, agreed. I like their products but they need to upgrade their dacs.

6. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

Congratulations on your epiphany. I used to think that digital was digital and DACs were pretty much the same. Not any more.

Nice avatar BTW. Here is my remaining Duc:

[​IMG]

timind, Shiver and Cupids_bow like this.
  7. Cupids_bow

She’s a beauty! The original tricolore is still a sight to behold after all these years. How many miles?

8. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

The frequency response is ruler flat. I seriously doubt that you could distinguish DACs in an ABX test with volume levels matched to 0.5 dB.

Robert C likes this.
  9. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

My Cambridge 851 with the new upgraded DAC is not bright and sounds great for its price point but that is dependent on the rest of your system.

10. Chauphuong

Chauphuong Member

I don't believe in ABX. Maybe I will fail in a 10 minute ABX test but never fail in listening to music 7 hours a day (I am a freelance consultant working mostly at home with a music system nearby).

dmckean, Bob_in_OKC and timind like this.
  11. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
    ~ Bob Dylan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.