Upgrading from JBL LSR305 - Focal? Neumann?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rockinrob, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking about upgrading my mixing speakers. I don't really have any problems with the JBLs - my mixes work and I know how to use them.

However, I can upgrade, so I will!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Focal line - I see the alpha comes in at $800, CMS (on sale at sweetwater) at $1000, Shape 65 at $1,800. Heck, even the Solo6 could be on the table at $2500 if someone makes a good case that it is way better, but I am leaning towards the CMS or the Shape 65 I think.

I've also heard good things about the Neumann KH120, which is in similar range.

I just want to improve on the JBLs. Those are pretty near the bottom of the line for monitors, so I know there is improvement to be had. I use these pretty close on my desk - arm length or so.

2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

You could also consider going further up the range. 705P if you wanted to stay in that price point you listed and with a powered monitor. Just an idea since you already said you're comfortable with the JBLs.

sneakmasterG and Rockinrob like this.
  3. Rockinrob

The CMS are looking really nice, but the Alpha was what got me to thinking maybe I should upgrade...

4. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I believe JBL just introduced a MkII version of the LSR range so you can get bargains on the just-replaced models at the usual outlets. If you like the sound and have the space, you could go up the range from your 305s affordably (I just picked up a discounted 305 pair for myself on Massdrop). That said, it sounds like you want to make a significant step upward. Be interested in hearing from others who have heard those Focals (I've only heard their ''audiophile" models but I suspect the studio monitors sound pretty similar at less cost -- at least that is what I like to imagine!)

displayname likes this.
  5. Rockinrob

I went with Focal Shape 65s. They sound great - biggest difference is I can mix a lot quieter and still feel that I'm hearing everything

displayname likes this.
  6. Lilmirza

Lilmirza New Member

Hi there! I have a pair of lsr305s as well, and was looking at exactly the same focals (shape 65) - how much of an audible difference is there? Could you describe it? :) I’m trying to figure out if the upgrade is worth it!

7. Rockinrob

It is not night and day, however, the focals sound great. It's just the differences are very subtle. The main thing is what I mentioned above -I don't find myself having to crank it up to hear details or feel like I'm getting the picture. I mix at lower volumes now. They are clearer sounding, but again it is not night and day.

8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Kinda shows how impressive the LSR305 are at the price!

displayname likes this.
  9. Rockinrob

I think it’s more about diminishing returns. Also, my room isn’t treated as well as it should be. I’ve ordered measuring equipment to start attacking that angle - I can hear there are problems more now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.