Upgrading KRK Rokit 8's to Adam A7X? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by teebo911, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a pair of KRK Rokit 8" monitors (not the G2 revision) and the KRK 10" sub. I'm looking to make an upgrade, and after much searching, sleepless nights, and twitching, I'm 99% settled on a pair of Adam A7X, used with my existing KRK sub.

I had also looked at the Behringer Truth 3031a, the smaller Adam A5X, and a few others in between those price ranges (Mackie, Yamaha, etc.)

I listen to a wide variety of material: lots of classical, jazz, classic rock, pop. Not too much country, almost no rap or hiphop. My room sucks (12'x12'x8'), but I've got a decent amount of absorption and some bass trapping. Bass hasn't been a big problem for me in the past (tolerable).

Any last minute thoughts before I click the magic button that sends a friendly delivery man to my house? (I should probably mention that the price on a pair of A7X is basically already at my max. Presented alternatives should be at or below that price.)

Thanks,
    Chris

2. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

Why not Focal Solo?

3. teebo911

Because every now and then I listen to things in Stereo? For the cost of one of those, I can buy both of the A7X's... Thanks.

4. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Go to a Guitar Center with your iPod and do a listening test. You shouldn't buy speakers without hearing them.

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Are you sold on the ribbon tweeter design?

6. teebo911

@acjetnut: I've had bad luck with my local guitar center. Monitors not being at good heights, few pairs connected, way too much noise coming in from the rest of the store. The only time I go in there now is when my daughter wants to look at the wall of guitars.

Even if they sound good there, they might not sound the same when I get them home. I'd rather just audition them at home on my own time, and then decide to keep or sell depending on whether or not I like them. Thanks.

7. teebo911

Not really. I've heard amazing things about their ribbon, and my other short-list choice was the Behringer with the ribbon. Honestly, I was leaning towards Behringer (huge price difference, also uses a ribbon), but there was a lot of discussion about how sensitive they were to outside signals. That was a deal breaker for me.

From what I read, it seemed as though the A7X were about as good as I was going to get within my price range, regardless of the type of tweeter.

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Well it wouldn't be right for me to not recommend Dynaudio as I've been nothing but pleased with them for the past few years.

9. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

I have the A5s- I'd rate the ribbon tweeter as being as good or better than the Maggies I have in the main room. Go for it!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.