Upgrading my system - scared!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by recordhead, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've made the decision to upgrade my stereo system. What I have now is very modest, at best mid-fi and over 20 years old. I'm happy with my turntable so right now I'm looking at buying an integrated amp, speakers and cables. I'm leaning towards the Rouge Sphinx. Great reviews and it seams like a safe entry level amp. Next would be the the Rouge Cronus Magnum. Again great reviews and I've always wanted a tube amp. I'm told I can't go wrong with either. Parasound Halo is also on my short list. When it comes to speakers I'm open to suggestions. I'm interested but not sold on Magnepan 1.7's. The reviews I've read on the Rouge amps at one point were paired with 1.7's and nothing but good things were said. I do have one problem. I don't have a good space for listening. I'm in a unfinished basement filled with boxes of crap. I'm not looking to fill that entire area with sound but I know I won't get to hear what any system I buy is capable of in that space. With all that said... any thoughts?

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  2. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I listened to and liked both integrated amps from Rogue. I would also demo or listen to a Primaluna Dialogue Premium as well.

3. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

As a parasound owner very please with my P7 & A23 combo, their new integrated looks very feature packed with suitable power.

SandAndGlass and jon9091 like this.
  4. mds

mds Forum Resident

It is scary buying a system that cost a lot of money, particularly when the majority of the time you can't pull all pieces together at one time and listen in your space. With that said you are buying well reviewed pieces of equipment from a companies that have great reputations so relax and go for it once you have auditioned the pieces to the extent that you can.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Active speakers need to be on your shortlist. IMO only, but they're the nearest thing in over 35 years in this hobby to "night and day" I've seen yet.

6. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Agree that actives are a great way to go but op mentions tubes so maybe combine a tube pre with actives

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I looked at your profile but no gear is listed. We know you got a SP5 TT:bigeek:. So I wonder how ¨mid-fi¨ the rest of the gear is.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. chodad

chodad Hodad

Relax, your ears will used to your new system.

9. recordhead

Harmon Kardon HK hk440
    Bose 301
    Toshiba DVD/SACD player
    Sony duel tape deck.

10. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Rogue and Magnepan both offer tremendous value. However, if you ever feel compelled to listen to your music LOUD, the Rogue won't do it for you paired with Maggies.

Having tried out a ton of gear over the years, my Magnepan 1.6s ($900 in minty, used, condition) are the best purchase I have made (happily driven by a PS Audio HCA-2).

Advice: try to buy local but if you can't focus on things that have a good resale value in case you don't keep them. Also, an unfinished basement would be a good candidate to use room treatments in (DIY for little cash). Lastly, whatever you do, try to enjoy the process! Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    wilejoe and recordhead like this.
  11. recordhead

Not interested in LOUD as much as I am clean and clear.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I remember your HK. I auditioned one in the 90s once and it sounded TERRIFIC. The Bose do need to go. The rest is nice. But the gear you're considering is in a totally different league; you just won't believe your ears.

Kudos to you for the upgrade.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

suggestions?

14. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

An amp only goes loud if you turn up the volume. What you probably do want, however, is enjoyable listening at lower volumes, i.e. enough weight and authority such that you don't wish that you had a loudness button or the ability to boost bass and treble.

What you'll need to ensure, therefore, is that - when combined - your speakers and amp give enough weight and authority to your music. A relatively low power amp running into relatively low sensitivity speakers might potentially not provide enough weight and authority at lower volumes.

I've been auditioning some Proac Studio 148 speakers at home as a potential and more mid-range-friendly alternative to my current Monitor Audio GR60s.

What I found was that the Proacs had more weight and authority than the MAs in the mid-range and bass departments but in the end worked out that this was because the Proacs were more sensitive (91 dB versus the MA's 90 dB). I knew this after I then switched back to my MAs and switched from my main 45W Croft pre-power to my 80W back-up Arcam Delta 290 integrated and - hey presto - my MAs had pretty much the same weight and authority as I'd heard from the Proacs. (Plus the MA's treble performance was so much more open and musical IMHO, although the mid-range on the Proacs was possibly slightly better.)

And don't forget to consider secondhand gear. You can get a lot more bang for your bucks that way. :)

ceynon likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Depends on your budget really but KEF at around £600, Genelec, Yamaha, AVI, ATC, Meridian, etc all depending on your budget.

16. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I would look at the Bryston A3 speakers. Great full range sound. Would go well w/the Rogue equipment. The Bryston speakers also come w/a 20 yr Warranty.

Dave likes this.
  17. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I just upgraded to the Rogue Audio Sphinx, and so far I'm really pleased with it. My only complaint is that it is making me want to buy lots of new vinyl.

Speakers are next up and I was also considering the Mag 1.7i. Another one I will audition is the PSB Imagine T2.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Rogue Sphinx and Cronus are both fantastic units. And 2 of the best sellers that I have. I highly recommend either!

As an FYI, the new Sphinx II is out now.

Do you have a total budget you would like to stick with?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

+1

Choose your speakers first. Go and audition a bunch. Then, I'd dig out some old Stereophile recommended component issues from the last 10 years for some amps to try. Watch the prices - if you could probably flip what you try but don't care for. I'd also bet you could parlay that basement dross into some great room treatment, arranged correctly. :)

Dave likes this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have never had a customer who was disappointed in the Rogue Audio amplifiers. I have sold them for around 12 years now, before much of anyone even knew they existed. It's all very well built and offers great value.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass, Dennis0675 and gingerly like this.
  21. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I would not go with actives unless you really like them. You have less flexibility -- you are committed to a speaker and an amp -- and they are a pain if they break. Admittedly the only active I had that had a problem was one of the little audio engine ones, replaced under warranty, but they aren't exactly high end IMO (sund OK but definitely on the cheaper side in terms of manufacturing).

Dave likes this.
  22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Having the absolute "worst" experience a person could have with Sony and their inability to repair their top shelf equipment because of lack of parts and their facility in Laredo Texas that has a terrible track record for damaging items, I wanted to upgrade with a company with a GREAT track record and enjoys exceptional reviews. I was using a 15 or so year old Jeff Rowland Concentra for a pre-amp, the same vintage model 8Ti-HC Jeff Rowland power amplifier, several Sony CD and SACD players, and finally a Studer ReVox LT turntable from the 80's with a Shure V-15 type V-MR Cartridge. I GOT RID OF ALL OF IT, EVERYTHING, and purchased all Parasound Halo, the A-21 Power Amplifier, the JC3+ phono stage, the JC2-BP pre-amp and finally the Oppo 105 Darby Dan "everything player". I found a GREAT VPI Scout turntable with a 2" thick acrylic platter, and used my Shure V-15 Type V-MR cartridge and put lots of money in the bank from my sale of an old ReVox 791 turntable, and the two 15 year old Jeff Rowland pieces and it's soooooo much better than what I had, yes that is correct, the Parasound Halo sounds soooooo much better than the Jeff Rowland combination I had, and it does so much more as does the Oppo 105. I got rid of a a Sony XA-7ES CD player, the 9000ES SACD player and finally the 5400 Sony SACD player. WOW, am I a happy camper. It's just hard to beat Parasound! Richard, their president will talk to you on the phone, I paid the right price for the equipment I purchased, and they can fix anything you have for YEARS, unlike Sony. Most people do not know Sony has no parts for many of their pieces past two years from the date the item was manufactured, and seven years it the cut off, as it was with my $5,000.00 SCD-1 SACD player, now mine is a boat anchor. So, long story short, ANY of the Parasound Halo products are a great purchase. Even the less expensive classic series will last a lifetime, although not as high quality, it has the rock solid Parasound backing. For the money, YOU JUST CANNOT BEAT PARASOUND HALO, and if you look at recent reviews this equipment makes the A list in Stereophile, along with other equipment costing 10 times as much!

Whistlerskibum likes this.
  23. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I absolutely would forget Rouge anything, think about this, "can it be repaired years down the line." Go with the new Parasound receiver, it's top shelf, and Parasound can be repaired forever, and it's just a wonderful product. I posted what I purchased from Parasound, and I did not look back, it's all wonderful. The Parasound Halo is the ticket! Magnepan 1.7's would NOT be the ticket for me, as they have NO low end. I had the 3.7s and they had no low end and there was always a huge gap between where the 3.7s stopped and my subwoofer picked up! The Magnepan speakers are wonderful for accoustic music, can't beat them, but for full range music, they are a huge bust! There are so many great monitor speakers that can be used effectively with a subwoofer and the gap is not nearly as big, and I know I will get lots of feedback on my Magnepan views, but hey, I had the 3.7s and they could not cut the low end mustard, and that was with almost 300 watts of power, and Magnepan speakers EAT POWER, and they still do not have that "punch" people are searching for. I sold my 3.7s and the man I sold them to kept them 6 months and sold them again for the same reason I sold them, no low end and no "punch." Buy the new Parasound Halo Integrated with complete confidence and enjoy the music!

24. Brother_Rael

The drivers and the amp are matched in actives, one per driver, so you have a clean pairing. The distortion is substantially less and the power delivery greater to each driver.
    You need flexibility? Just go about it differently - a preamp, a source, whichever. I play my stereo from morning till night given the chance and the sound's the best I've had in over 35 years. I never use the term "night and day" but it's a given here. And things break, no matter what. Your speaker blows, you need to replace the speaker. Your amp blows, you need to replace the amp. You're looking at cost and inconvenience no matter what. I'd suggest you've a better chance of that happening with an underpowered amp trying to run a pair of demanding speakers than with a pair of actives where the amp and driver is in harmony. Just my 2p worth.

Incidentally, the AudioEngines aren't actives but powered speakers. :)

Lotus Klotus likes this.
  25. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

So, just to be sure I got this right - you are pro-Parasound? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.