Upgrading this year from a Dual cs5000 to a....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mazzy, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I'm still sorry I sold my CS 5000. It was a very nice table. Often times we just want something different. Early in my life I should have just spent more money on various cartridges and had more fun that way. 5-6 different head shells, balance out by weight so changing them out would have been easy to change the flavor of the lp presentation.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

When I first got the Garrard I was shocked at its performance, what I was hearing. It was that big bold full analog sound that for whatever reason I had never quite achieved previously with more expensive tables. All with much less expensive Shure carts. Why?? The answer that many responded on a couple of forums was simply synergy between the cart, the arm, and the table. Yeah, the idler had a lot to do with it also(I'm not kidding, look more into idler tables, either the beautiful big Duals from fixmydual.com...you could probably easily swap what you have now, or a restored Garrard 301 or 401) but I really think finding the right cart to match with your table might be all it takes to tailor its sound to what you're looking for. And it may cost a lot less than you think. I personally would look at Dynavector.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Interesting responses. More retro comments on possible upgrade improvements here than I would've expected based on what I think I've read around here. It won't be until the summer or fall until I probably do this but I think listening to other options eventually on my own rig is a must.

image.jpg

4. Mazzy

So dynavector over a grado is your choice? Is there a specific one you'd choose?

5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Try the DV10x5, it's a great cartridge, and also do some soul searching to define your needs and wants. For example if you purchase a lot of used vinyl it may be good to have either a table with either of, a replaceable headshell or arm tubes. You may also want a table that you can change the interconnects on, if you so desire. Then go and listen to something meets the criteria that you have. Above all make it fun and not work.

just some thoughts

M~

sberger likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The 10X5 is a good way to test the house Dyna sound, although I might suggest a move up the line to the 20XL, which is a great cartridge. I've gone as far as a XX-2 and they have a really nice, balanced sound that I love.

7. Mazzy

I don't buy a lot of old vinyl . Some here and there but more new artist albums as I already have a pretty large collection of the classics plus...3500-4000 titles, many from when I worked in record stores and at labels so most of my LPs are very clean

8. Mazzy

Is the dyna 20X2 a newer replacement for the 20xl which doesn't seem to be for sale anymore?

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes. Looks pretty much identical to the prior version. Make sure if you do get it to find the one appropriate for your pre, i.e. low or high output.

Is your profile up to date? What are you playing your vinyl through? I see the Rotel electronics but nothing else.

10. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I use a CS5000 in my second system - I have no idea what I would replace it with since I really like the semi-automatic stopping of the motor. It's an easy to use table which is great for my family to use.

To fix a varying speed issue, I did have to replace the electrolytics in the power supply, but other than that - uber dependable.

sberger likes this.
  11. Mazzy

My phono stage is a Musical Fidelity X-LPS which goes into the rotel RSX-1065

image.jpg

12. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I agree with Sam.

I encourage you to move your rack out of the corner. Have your TT in the corner hinders its performance. If possible, try to put it more centrally, and more forward from that rear wall. Doing so should result in more clarity, more fluidity to the music as well as cleaner and tighter bass.

sberger likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No offense, but I think upgrading your cart, and phono stage will yield much higher returns than just putting $2k into a turntable. Taking the above advice regarding placement will also. Look to a stage which will provide you with various loading options to help tailor your sound. The Musical Surrounding Phonomena II is one to look at. I also love the Dynavector P-75, particularly if you decide to check out a Dyna cart.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes to this

15. Mazzy

So the combination of the better cartridge and phono stage suggested, adds up to about $1700. plus. I suppose I could start w the cartridge and use my existing (see above) phono stage and then add on later if desired. And then if I want a new TT, pass these items on to the new one of they are compatible ? Yes I like my DUAL and I know the love for vintage with some here, but I just never considered that. Also felt that a new the turntable would be my next upgrade.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

People like to assume that all technology from 20-40 years ago can be and is improved on. Perhaps some. But not all, and certainly not in audio. A lot of companies made some terrific products years ago that were made to last decades. Sure, you have to restore them, but when you do they last several more decades. It's not just this quaint love of vintage. It's just that saying "well, I have an old turntable that's ok, but I bet if I spend $2000 on a brand new table with brand new technology I'm going to be in audio nirvana" is not necessarily true. And it could be downright wrong. Again, not slighting the new stuff, especially by VPI which I think is a fantastic company making real quality stuff. But I do think if you spend $2k on a table and keep everything else the same you are going to be somewhat disappointed.

Also, try buying some of this stuff used, especially the phono stage. Look to Audiogon for a ton of stuff.

Shak Cohen and Mazzy like this.
  17. Mazzy

Thanks boys!!! I love how everyone is so passionate, whichever side the lean on..... I just want to play great music. And BTW I play my rig a lot. 3-4 hours most week days and 10-20 hours over the weekends.

18. Mazzy

Well all I did this evening was move my rack out from the corner about two feet to the right (as far as i could) and out about 6 more inches (it was already out several inches). OMG everything is now flat and weak much worse than before. Muffled too. Ill live with it for a day or too but it sounded so much open and fuller when it was closer to the corner? Go figure!!!

19. Mazzy

Stevie Nicks was sounding too much like the lead singer from the Crash Test Dummies. But thanks for the suggestion just the same. I guess there are no absolutes.

sberger likes this.
  20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You must have been getting some bass resonance though your turntable that you enjoyed.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Exactly. Better to find this out before spending a bunch of dough. So now move stuff around until you get it to where it sounds best to you, then proceed. As I implied earlier, I think there are several other things that can be considered for change before your table, which in my opinion is one of the stronger pieces of your system.

22. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Ha! By some grace I ended up with a similar Mitsubishi vert linear in high school. Not only did it sound great, it really kept all those records in pretty good condition.

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I'm surprised it didn't sound better with your rack out of the corner and slightly farther away from the rear wall???

25. Mazzy

Did a bit more moving last night and its about now about 7 inches from the left wall and 5 inches out from the back. It sounds good but i never said it all sounded bad just that I know it could all sound better. This was my original point about upgrading after all these years. The rest of my system sounds stunning when I play CDs and I know the analogue potion lacks since I know what the possibilities are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.