Upgrading this year from a Dual cs5000 to a....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mazzy, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Brighter without the dust cover..... A least so far with the multi tracked voice work of 10CC

2. Mazzy

Ok , HAPPY NOW?

image.jpg

3. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Geez, what happened to your dustcover, Mazzy? Did it break?

:p

Now that the learning experience is over, put your dustcover back on the 'table unless you honestly like it better this way. If you think the sound improvement outweighs the appearance and dust issue, leave it off. If not, the other people in this thread don't live in your house. Your stereo and living room should be the way you want it.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. Mazzy

Now that's funny. I thought it was brighter at first but after playing several records, in reality there is no ****ing difference at all and my Throbbing Grisle records are all dusty now ;-)

ggergm likes this.
  5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a DUAL, I am listening to GANG STARR - FULL CLIP DoLP Promo with Beats + Instrumentals on my CS 701 along with a decent cart i would recommend as a good upgrade in the 400 to 500 dollar range - SUMIKO BPS EVO III. If you can afford a bit more say 600 the BENZ ACE would be a even better choice.
    Turntable wise - Nothing wrong with the CONCEPT as a convenient TT but you can get much better sounding tables for not much more besides the VPI Traveller I suggest the extravagant styles suspeneded THORENS TT TD-309, that hits way above it's price level and can be used with a 1000 dollar cart without losing too much finesse.
    The PERSPEX with the 9cc EVO tt is also very good, but if you don't like REGA Pro-Ject is probably not your favorite choice neither.

So best check out the TRAVELLER vs the Thorens TD - 309 and then decide which suits you nicer.
    I use a V-LPS btw. (with a PSU attached) and am happy with that phono pre , too. So why not keep the X-LPS and get a combo of TT+Cart, that will bring back the magic of analog playback. You can always keep yur DUAL with the GRADO cart.

6. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I've had a Dual cs5000 since about 1986. I still use it in a secondary system of mine. It's a great turntable to teach my girls how to spin vinyl. Anyway, the belt broke on it today. I was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a good online site to order a new one.

Thanks for your help. :cheers:

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Mazzy if you gave a budget it would be easier to make recommendations. Personally I don't favour budget Rega or Project. Project make some good TTs if you spend £1000's. For me the best UK brands at reasonable money are Mitchell and Notts Analogue. They make 'budget' models that are under £1000 here. Your Dual wasn't cheap in it's day and given inflation expect to pay £800+ to get a really substantial improvement. My choice would be Tecnodec with Rega RB202 arm to keep price down and similar to others mentioned which in my opinion will be inferior. Also don't discount a better stand alone phono stage which may be a more significant upgrade than the Turntables suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.