Upgrading your AT-LP120 turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ben Adams, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Vinyl output is far lower than a modern DAC. You should be reducing your MP3/cd volume to roughly match the vinyl. They will sound better for it.

2. Mario Umpiérrez

Mario Umpiérrez Forum Resident

Indeed the pre-amp could've should've would've been better but the idea is a nice touch. I wonder if Matsushita would include a pre-amp if they ever realize what a market-niche they're loosing by not re-releasing their table. And yes most decent cars these days come with a cruise control and limitators that help you avoid speed tickets :)

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not that limit you to 60 mph.

The preamp in the 120, if you use the USB connection, can cut out at low volumes. It decides for you if it should be outputting material below a certain dB range. Makes it useless for needledrops.

4. Mario Umpiérrez

Mario Umpiérrez Forum Resident

Well hello there. I have purchased the AT-440MLa and AT-CW1 for the arm (which IMHO is very good itself), a Technichs rubber mat and a Bellari VP530 as anticipated. Installing the new cartridge took patience, specially aligning it but on the plus side I discover my AT95E was completely off alignment so that got corrected. The AT-440MLa is bright and very revealing and I guess with time it'll soften a bit but at the proce it sells today (mine was $187) is a very good deal if not a steal indeed. I'm very satisfied with it. The counterweight does not seem to dramatically change anything (maybe someone can explain) but it's supposed to help dealing with heavier carts like the AT-440MLa. I'm tracking at 1.4 and I'd be interested in other examples in the forum and advice on this matter. The rubber mat adds stability, looks nice and helps better dealing with static charges. The Bellari is a nice piece of hardware. I've been told to upgrade the tube right away but I'm not so shure, at least for now. I'm all set to mod the table this weekend so let's see. Regards, Mario

Ben Adams likes this.
  5. wheng

wheng Well-Known Member

Is this mat any good you think? It's from the seventies but I can buy one cheap in good condition.

[​IMG]

Photo of the mat itself:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. Ben Adams

Yeah! If the rubber is still supple, I'd say go for it!

7. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Just about anything is better than the felt - I had a lot of static issues with the felt... sometimes it even lifted off with the record
    Rubber is a nice replacement - you DON'T need to spend a bunch of $$ on it

8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Unsuppled rubbers are not good any any case.

Jhnywang likes this.
  9. Randu

Randu Senior Member

That's what SHE said

bru87tr, Jhnywang, Ben Adams and 2 others like this.
  10. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

I think I am sold on this TT with the suggested mods. Any recommendations on a pre-amp? I listen to mostly classic and alternative rock. I'd also eventually like to record my LPs using a Tascam recorder.

11. thommo

thommo Senior Member

As it turns out, a mishap with my main table meant pressing my AT120 back into service, and I took the opportunity to remove the pre-amp.

I always trusted @Ben Adams on the validity of this, but bugger me if it isn't better than I was expecting. A really worthwhile exercise - especially if you're already out of warranty like my pre-USB model is.

Ben Adams likes this.
  12. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Well done, amazing difference isn't it?

Ben Adams likes this.
  13. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I'm using a Rega Fono with my modded AT LP120, good preamp.

Chauncey likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

I use an ART DJ PRE II. Best budget preamp out there, performs way beyond its price point.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AJR482/

bru87tr, drivingfrog and Chauncey like this.
  15. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Same

But I use the AT-440MLb cartridge.
    Sure you can spend a lot more for a turntable, but why, this is perfect after the upgrades!!

16. Jhnywang

Jhnywang New Member

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to this, and I am looking to upgrade my current turntable which is a Sony PS LX250H connected via CD input to a Sony STR DE 425 receiver, (I know, don't laugh). I was looking through eBay and found an AT-LP120USB at a starting price of $0.99, this will eventually go up to at least $100 by the time the auction is done. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Techn...-259447-jpa-/351509393844?hash=item51d797b1b4

Eventhough it is pretty scuffed up, would this be a good candidate for the pre-amp removal, cartridge and mat upgrade? Or don't bother and get the phono premap or new integrated amp?

Thanks!

17. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

I don't have the TT yet, but I've picked the AT-440MLa cartridge and a Lounge Audio MKIII pre-amp. I want to be ready when I eventually pick up the TT. Long story, but I'm getting the TT for next to $0. So I thought I would upgrade elsewhere. I need to get a rubber or cork mat. Is a new counter weight highly recommended? I think I'll stay with the stock tone arm unless someone tells me I'm nuts.

18. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Lighter tracking pushes the stock counterweight so far back that if you want to keep the dust cover closed, you'll need to open it well before you finish a side otherwise it'll get stuck against it. No bueno for your stylus. I've thought about getting a new counterweight for that reason.

Chauncey likes this.
  19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I just needle dropped The Fixx: "Shuttered Room" to 96/24 Flac then burnt a CD from it.

Equipment AT-LP120 (removed usb loop, Technics "supple rubber" mat :D) + AT-440MLb > Art DJ PRE 2 > Creative Xfi HD > Win 7 PC + Total Recorder Professional capturing as 96/24 Flac> Total Recorder's Click Remover add-on>Foobar2000 => CD

I swear its one of the best sounding CDs I have.

20. Checking back in after a few months absence. My now 2 year old LP120 is still plugging along like a champ. It's got the M97xE/SAS combo, a (sadly discontinued) KAB supermat (hefty 1/4" rubber mat), o-rings on the tonearm for extra dampening (from the original version of Ben's blog post :p), removed preamp, and a quartet of hockey pucks under the feet. With an SA-600 receiver and a pair of SB-G400 speakers, I don't ever need go higher that 2 out of 10 on the volume control. 90db at 8' is well within reach.

drivingfrog likes this.
  21. Fraga

Fraga Forum Resident

I might be extreme unlucky, but there seems to be some wobbling in my platter. I checked this thoroughly and concluded is not in the spindle, since I removed the platter and reinstalled it in another position (1/3 ahead) but the same point (which I marked) kept wobbling during spinning. It's a brand new LP120 with a M97xE (which I'm not sure is 100% aligned, you can check out my "crusade" here lol. Already downloaded the custom template Ben recommended and I'll be printing it tonight, though). Oh, and I say I'm unlucky because my past turntable also appeared to be warped. I of course then thought the surface might not be levelled, but I changed the turntable position and the platter still "goes up" at the same point.

Other thing I'd like to address is that I've seen more people complaining about an uneven/wobbly platter in their LP120s, but can't seem to find if any of them solved their problem... or if a little wobbling is within Audio-Technica's parameters. Or perhaps it was something in the shipping? This was a brand new LP120 that came in its original box.
    It's very annoying, and it makes me think that since this is an entry level professional TT, more people might be suffering from it but aren't reporting it because they might think it's ok since they're relatively new to the trend, or might not even be noticing it.

Me? I'm new too but I'm letting my OCD take over hahhaa :)

22. Daddydave

Daddydave New Member

OK, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these Friday, and it will be here Monday. As far as the upgrades recommended. Upgrade the platter mat, and stock counter weight, is there ANYONE who would say removing the preamp is not necessary or say don't bother? Is it really that bad? I have watched a video on how to do and, and as long as your careful it dose not look like rocket science. I want to get the best out of this turntable.

I know people also recommend upgrading the Cart and Stylus, from the reviews of them I have seen, it is quite good. Also the others seem to be more vital upgrades, espicaly the mat and preamp.

23. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I did- preamp removal, heavier counterweight, old Technics supple rubber :unhunh: mat, upgraded to AT-440MLb- completely different sounding from stock.
    Stock sounded terrible compared to my old 80's p-mount TT with the AT92e cart, upgrading made it sound better than my old one.

24. Daddydave

Daddydave New Member

Also, the light that comes on, when it's turned on, whats the life on it? or the pop up light for tracking the needle to the groove.

25. Randu

Randu Senior Member

That is almost exactly what I did, got a deer leather mat.
    What are you going to use for an amp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.