Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards, on Earmark vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tullman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Tullman

Tullman Current record holder for most deleted posts

I asked about this vinyl awhile back and I got no response, but decided to take a chance on it. I do have an Earmark vinyl release of Black Sabbath's Paranoid and I thought that sounded pretty good. I remember Steve Hoffman asking about people's interest in Uriah Heep, so I figured that licensing for titles by this group was a possibility. I guess the Italian Earmark records wanted to give it a go.

The packaging for Demon's and Wizards is real nice. The record cover comes in a nice resealable plastic envelope. The record is in a nice rice paper style sleeve together with the original style cardboard sleeve. The cover is a glossy gateway, that looks similar to the original. I don't have my original Demons anymore (long story), but I believe that the cover was not glossy. The vinyl is 180 grams and has an Earmark label, which does look nice. Not bad for $17.00

When I put the record on my TT it was nice and flat. The vinyl was very quiet with hardly any noticeable surface noise. The sound of the new lp reminded me of the original vinyl but was better. It sounds to me that the source tape was pretty good. The eq's sounded good to me and it wasn't too loud. I had to turn the volume up a couple of clicks. Overall, I give this release high marks but I am no expert. This vinyl sounded better than my Japanese and Castle cds.

I do wish Steve would have done this recording on SACD, but for now I will live happily with this Earmark vinyl version.

2. Tullman

Tullman Current record holder for most deleted posts

Does have any opinions, good or bad, on Earmark records. I think they are pretty good.

3. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I've had these on my site for a while now and they're pretty good, especially for the money. A much better bargain than Simply Vinyl.

The only knock I can think of is the original source material for their remasters is hit and miss. Also, there's (usually) something digital along the line from source to pressing. A lot of folks don't like that. But, considering the nice packaging, the (usually) quite surface and, as I said, the price, it's a tough combination.

And you can hear "Easy Livin" on vinyl.

David
    Listening to Belle & Sebastian's
    "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"