Uriah Heep's first two albums, underrated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

Recently I was listening to Uriah Heep's first couple albums (Very 'Eavy... and Salisbury) and I was surprised how well they've aged.
    When most people discuss Uriah Heep it's usually the big names like Demons & Wizards, Magician's Birthday, etc. but I get the impression their earlier stuff is overlooked. Any thoughts?

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Absolutely. Salisbury is my favorite by them. Sweet Freedom is also underrated in my opinion.

Rufus rag and Finch Platte like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

First two are good, yes. Look At Yourself is my favorite.

4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

The first album has always been my favorite, without a doubt!!

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think they have both held up quite well. It seems that oftentimes the theme is "best" or "favorite", so perhaps that is why they get overlooked. But as all is subjective, so it wouldn't surprise me if some folks put one or both of these at the top.

Gypsy, Dreammare, Come Away, Melinda, The Park, High Priestess, Salisbury...what's not to like!

old school and Rose River Bear like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The first is my favorite by the band. Every song is great.

old school and Zeki like this.
  7. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Love the debut.

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Two best albums of theirs in my humble opinion. Look up the Lansdowne Tapes collection of their early recordings too.

peachyg72 and Lucidae like this.
  9. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

"Salisbury" has always been my favourite Uriah Heep album but I don't think it's underrated. It's generally regarded as one of their best albums, maybe slightly beneath "Demons & Wizards" and "Look At Yourself". I can live with that assesment.

Zeki likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have no interest in Salisbury, but I like the first one a lot. Gypsy is a great heavy rocker, and Wake Up Set Your Sights gets into a cool jazzy groove in the middle. David Byron's voice was really pretty amazing, and on the first album he was a young man with all his talents undimmed by the road and drinking.

Zeki likes this.
  11. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I love the first three more than anything else I've heard by them to be honest.

t-man 54 and Zeki like this.
  12. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I like the first live album a lot too!

old school and Rose River Bear like this.
  13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I think the song Salibury is a masterpiece.
    Don't like the rest of the album.

danielbravo likes this.
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

I had no idea that existed, thanks. How's the sound quality?

15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Recording-wise it is good, mastering-wise it resembles the latest batch of CD remasters.

16. old school

old school Senior Member

The debut is killer one of my favorites. Gypsy has one of the finest organ solos ever. Both albums are top tier.

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I listened to the album today and thought the same thing about the organ solo. I like Mick Box's little solo right after the organ solo before the final verse comes in. That little Page like solo knocks me out every time.
    Anyone who says this band was for s**t has the same in their ears.

18. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

I'm not too crazy about Salisbury but I do love the first one. Dig Hensley's slide work as well as his keys. I never understood why the critics lambasted them so much at the time.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm spinning Salisbury right now.... I haven't heard it in years.
    It's great. Anyone who thinks this band is a "poor man's Deep Purple" is nuts.
    They sound nothing alike to me.

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Great band, right from the start.
    Especially the first album seems to be a scapegoat from time to time and I just can't understand why.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The first four are the best, but it's an interesting catalog to go all the way through. They're still releasing albums to this day.

Bananas&blow and jfbar167 like this.
  22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Paul Newton is especially underrated. Gary Thain gets all the kudos (and rightly so) but Paul Newton is their secret weapon on the first three albums.

23. Dolphy

Dolphy New Member

Is this the Dkmonroe from years past? If so, I just saw Love and Glory. You turned me on to SMiLE many years ago.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I fell in love with Uriah Heep the first time I heard their debut and followed them up to Sweet Freedom. That's where they lost me. Their debut Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble is still one of my favorites. I think Gypsy hooked me immediately, then Dreammare grabbed me next. As I immersed myself in this album I came to love Walking in Your Shadow, Real Turned On, and Bird of Prey as well. It wasn't until I got the CD with the bonus tracks that I discovered a real gem. The instrumental of Born in a Trunk is killer! And the bluesy Lucy Blues is a great ballad. I still listen to them today.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Dolphy from Scullyspost? Yeah, it's me! Very cool to see you - It's been a long time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.