US 1980's Beatles Capitol colorband LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peter, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

A week or so ago, I found an above-described copy of Beatles VI. Lo and behold, when I dropped the needle on it, it was the mono mispressing of this title--just like the "Yesterday...and Today" I already have, also colorband.

The sound on the Beatles VI is incredible. I would almost say that the mon version of "Bay Boy" is equal to the mono version on my UK mono "Oldies" LP, which is only VG+ condition. For silent vinyl, though, the Beatles VI dwarfs the UK LP.

Last night, I found a mint colorband copy of the "Hey Jude" LP, which I did not have time to play. I will play soon and post.

My question-for Steve- Who pressed these LP's and why do they sound so good? I would dearly love some info here. Also, who mastered them? The dead wax says "mastered by Capitol". Is that true?

Any info would be appreciated.

2. xios

xios Senior Member

Does your Beatles VI have a "C1-" catalogue number? Those were the final original US vinyl pressings and I found those to be quiet and clean.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They do sound very clean. You're better off with maybe an early 80's Parlophone tho.

4. stever

stever Senior Member

Does colorband mean rainbow label pressings?

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes. Done in the 60's then repeated in the 80's.

6. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

I thought the mono version of "A Collection of Beatles Oldies" was not among the 1982 UK Parlophone reissues.

I have used copies of 1960s mono pressings of both "Beatles VI" and "A Collection of Beatles Oldies," the latter of which I purchased on e-bay. Other then being a bit bass-shy, "Bad Boy" does sound better on Beatles VI than on "A Collection of Beatles Oldies."

Paul

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

It wasn't.

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I do not know the best way to search for this info, but we have arrived at the same conclusion many times before in this forum.
    If someone recalls the threads please post.

9. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

The "Beatles VI" also plays mono on the Capitol purple label, but it has to have the small Capitol logo not the more common large one. I have the "Yesterday and Today" 80's reissue colorband label that plays mono. It has the "ST" prefix not the later "C1"

10. stever

stever Senior Member

So ANY US Beatles LP with a rainbow/colorband label is probably the best US pressings available?

11. peter

No. The colorband re-issue series mirrors the US catalogue in all ways, titles, track listings and catalogue numbers.

12. peter

No. I find the 80's re-issue series to be superior to the orig. 60's (stereo)pressings.

13. peter

The info is spread in several different threads I believe.

14. peter

Obviously, I meant better than U.S. 60's orig. stereo LP's.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Apple label pressings from the 72, 73ish ear are my favorite pressings of the Beatles US titles.

They have the identical covers (slicks pasted onto cardboard) as originals, but are better vinyl surfaces than the originals, and cut hotter consistantly than originals. hey are loud records.

And they have apple labels! Still no match for UK 60s or 70s pressings of the tunes, but for US titles they rule.

Jeff

16. peter

Very interesting, Jeff, I shall have to sample a few of these then.

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

That's what I thought.

80's rainbow followed by 78-83 purple label are the best US pressings IMHO.

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have a COMPLETE set (still in shrink) of these (i.e. ALL Apple label US from Meet the Beatles thru Let it Be).

Nice to look at, but (as Jeff said) still no match for UK 60s or 70's pressings.

19. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

With the exception of the re-channelled stereo version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand", I agree that the purple Capitol label pressing of "Meet The Beatles" sounds very good.

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Right.
    Stereo versions of course, since there were no mono purple capitols for comparison with 60s versions.

Again this is relative.
    UK versions rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.