US mono promo LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peter, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

In the last 7 months, I have found US mono WLP's of the 1st Fairport Convention album and Truth by Jeff Beck.

These are undocumented as far as I know.

Input, anyone?

Thanks

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Although most of these are not mono mixes they were issued as mono promos.

Blood Sweat & Tears - Child is Father to the Man
    Blind Faith
    Jeff Beck - Beckola
    King Crimson - ITCOTCK
    Neil Young - Time Fades Away

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have one: Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using. It even has a sticker on the front that says "promotional d/j copy, monaural, not for sale". I believe they were mostly created for AM radio of the day, which was still a major promotional avenue--no CD players, Walkmen, widespread FM stereo radio, etc. The Everclear song "AM Radio" off of Songs from an American Movie Vol. 1 is a great snapshot of the '70s era before mass media really took off.

John K.

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

McCartney's "Ram" is a good one. I believe it is a fold down. I've seen this advertised a lot in Goldmine & Discoveries. Saw one at a show once they wanted big bucks for it. If "Ram" had it's own unique mono mix I could see it, a fold down I'll pass.

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

It is not a fold down, but rather a unique mono mix. Search out a bootleg disc of the album, it is highly recommended.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Drop me a line; I'll add them to the Goldmine database. I need catalog numbers, any of that kind of thing. For example, is it in a stereo cover with a mono sticker or its own unique cover? Several people I know are "late mono" collectors; every time they find something, they let me know about it, and I add it to the database so it can be included in the next appropriate guide.

The most recent one I've heard of so far is The Divine Miss M by Bette Midler (early 1973 on Atlantic).

From another thread:

Here in the U.S., the mono album with a stereo counterpart was essentially dead by 1968. A small but growing group of record collectors is actively seeking these "late mono" albums, as much to chronicle their existence than for any true collectible value. Most of these are extremely rare; I'm not sure how different most of them are from their stereo counterparts, but some mono albums, even that late, have unique mixes. Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel is an excellent example.

After about mid-1968, most new mono LPs were made exclusively for radio station use; they usually have promo labels and are found inside stereo covers. Even this was pretty much not done after 1969. Exceptions exist: In 1971, for some unknown reason, a mono version of Ram by Paul & Linda McCartney was issued to some radio stations; this is outrageously rare and usually trades for four figures when it appears. And as late as 1973, Atlantic was still issuing some mono LPs to radio! One that I know exists from early '73 is The Divine Miss M by Bette Midler. Artists by big names from this era in mono fetch big bucks -- several Led Zeppelin LPs exist in mono promos, as do a couple CSN(Y)s. And more are being discovered all the time.

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

That's good to know. Over the years all I heard about it was, it's probably a fold down of the stereo mix. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Joe :laugh:

8. peter

Tim:

I'll get you the detailed info tonight. I can tell you now, though that the Beck has a white mono sticker on the album cover (covering the word stereo) . The Fairport also has a sticker on the cover, but it's of the orange, round dj/monaural variety. Also, the Fairport;s white label is actually pasted over the stock label on the LP. You can see through it. Howeve, both LP's do play in glorious mono. And, they don't sound like fold-downs to me. Both LP's DID have a UK mono release.

9. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Re: Re: US mono promo LP's

Hi Tim, here's one for your data base.

Yes, The Yes Album(2 PROMO stickers), released in 1971 by Atlantic records.

1. Rectangular Promotional DJ Copy, black and yellow sticker that reads: Suggested Cuts For Air Play
    1. I've Seen All Good People(6:47)
    2. Your Is No Disgrace(9:.36)
    3. Starship Trooper(9:23)

2. Red circular Promotional Not for Sale sticker that reads:
    D/J Copy "Monaural"

The vinyl record itself has white label with "Sample Copy Not For Sale", catalog number: 8283(but no indication of mono or stereo....)

The Lp gatefold cover has catalog number: SD8283

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Re: Re: US mono promo LP's

Tim--I don't know if this is a misprint or a wrong label on an LP, but I have a promo of the Herb Alpert & The TJB album You Smile -- The Song Begins. This dates to 1974, SP3620. These would have been the "silver" label era promo LP. This label says Mono on side 1 and Stereo on side 2. Definitely a "WTF" moment, made even more frustrating by the lackluster mix on the album where there isn't very much stereo information at all! (I still have my 1974 copy...there isn't much "stereo" there at all to begin with.) This does have the "promo" stamping on the cover, too. The thing that makes me curious is that there was even a mono LP promo label being used in 1974, let alone having a mono label on one side and stereo on the other.

Weird.

11. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

There are decent needle drop CD-R's of the rare mono mix floating around out there. Since the mono promo LP is SOOO expensive this may be a good way to find out if you like it.

Chris

12. xios

xios Senior Member

I have a promo mono copy of the first Nazz lp. This could be a fold down, but it sounds clean as hell.

13. tim_neely

Two questions:

-- What is the catalog number of the Jeff Beck LP, as it appears on the label (not the cover)? Sometimes, Epic issued its mono promos with the same number as the stereo album (BN 26413); sometimes it still used what would have been the mono number (LN 24413).
    -- Is the Fairport Convention LP their Cotillion release? Even the stereo version of that one is somewhat tough.

14. tim_neely

Re: Re: Re: US mono promo LP's

Thank you -- I've added it. The lack of a prefix indicates its mono status; that was how Atlantic and Atco told you whether a disc was mono or stereo before it went to the 80000 and 90000 numbering series. The "S" in "SD" stands for "stereo."

This is the second Yes album that is now confirmed to exist as a mono promo; I wouldn't be surprised if others do, too. Close to the Edge was issued as a mono promo; even more interesting is that it was "banded for airplay." In other words, some artificial bands were created on the two sides so that DJs could play excerpts of the longer pieces on the air.

15. vex

vex New Member

Tim,

I have a couple of mono WLP's that have not shown up in your guide. Let me know if they are missing from your database and I'll get back to you with the specifics:

Moby Grape - "Wow" (not the "Jam" disk)
    Scotty Moore - "The Guitar That Changed The World!"

Regards,
    Cai

16. tim_neely

Scotty Moore -- not sure how you missed it, because I have it in three different books. Of course, I only list a stock copy. I can't list every promo of every record in the book -- an already loaded book would get even more so, with less benefit for the collector -- unless it's somehow really unusual: colored vinyl; a different number; a different track listing/order than the equivalent stock copy; or it exists ONLY as a promo.

Moby Grape -- I have a listing for a "Special Mono Radio Station Copy" that has the same number as the stereo (CS 9613). If you have this with the theoretical mono number (CL 2813) instead, then I would need confirmation of that record's existence.

17. vex

vex New Member

The guide I have is a few years old but it does list the Scotty Moore stock copy. I was talking about the WLP and I understand that you can't list every one, I was just curious if you knew about it.

The copy of "Wow" I have has the "Special Mono Radio Station Copy" sticker on it, but I'll have to check the catalog number. I'll get back to you on that.

18. peter

Tim:

Here's the info:

FAIRPORT LP:

Cover, front & back and spine all say stereo and the cat. no. SD-9024.
    Label is Cotillion WL.
    Label says "SAMPLE COPY NOT FOR SALE" to the left of the spindle hole.
    Catalogue number is 9024, no SD prefix.
    On side 1 only, this copy has the white label stamped on top of a stereo WL. I can see the word STEREO underneath, as well as the SD-9024 number and the same words "SAMPLE COPY NOT FOR SALE" in a different location.
    Matrixes are CTN-13299A and CTN-13300A.
    Cover has an orange sticker on it with the words: "d/j copy monaural" in the center; PROMOTIONAL at 12:00 and NOT FOR SALE at 6:00.
    LP plays in mono. I doubt it's a fold-down. It sounds clean, pure, etc.

JEFF BECK/TRUTH:

Cover, at upper left front corner, back cover upper right corner and spine all say STEREo and cat. no. of BN 26413 (stereo no.).

Front cover, at the top in the center, where the words "EPIC" and "STEREO" usually appear, has a white MONO sticker covering the word "stereo".

Label is white with the words "RADIO STATION COPY" at 9:00.

Side one label has BN 26413, with XEM 137814 below it, at 3:00.
    Side two label has BN 26413, with XEM 137815 below it at 3:00.

Matrixes are XEM137814-1A/XEM137815-1A.

LP plays in mono and sounds wonderful.

crosscatch likes this.
  19. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: US mono promo LP's

I know of a number of albums that were banded this way, usually with the music being faded out between songs. Thick as a Brick, Tubular Bells and Ommadawn come to mind.

On at least one occassion Ommadawn actually got played on the radio that way, complete (more or less) - with the artificial fades between sections intact. The DJ, who was in some senses perhaps a bit of an innocent, just didn't know any better.

20. tim_neely

Excellent information, Peter! I've added these two mono LPs to the database, and they'll appear in the next edition of the Record Album Price Guide (scheduled for a late summer release). If anyone else knows anything about "late mono" or anything else (US releases only; I have to draw a line somewhere!) that might be of interest, you can PM me or e-mail me...

21. peter

Tim:

I wish I had a scanner. Do you want me to send photos? My wife shoots these and they're great. In the past, I mailed photos of Decca and Parlophone inner sleeves to a guy in the UK who dated them for me and mailed them back. So, I am happy to do it.

Also, I have a mono WLP of Otis Live at the Whiskey a Go-Go. However, I think this is documented in the most recent Goldmine promo guide. If it is not, let me know and I will forward info.

Also, the Fairport has a delete punch in it, while the Beck does not. Just thought I'd let you know.

22. vex

vex New Member

Tim,

I had the chance to look at my copy of the Moby Grape - "Wow" WLP. It does have the stereo catalog number. In addition to the "Special Mono Radio Station Copy" sticker, it also has the radio station timing strip pasted to the front cover (also referencing the stereo catalog number).

Cai

23. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Late 60's country

Came across an amazing assortment of late 60's mono country albums that aren't listed anywhere I've seen. Decca/Kapp/Epic, probably 30 or so different from folks like Bill Anderson, Warner Mack, Wilma Burgess, Stan Hitchcock, Freddie Hart, Jim & Jesse, Jimmie Davis and so on. The Decca albums used the old style covers for the front, mono numbers on the bottom, stereo on the top with white labels. The Epics use a sticker on the front with a white label on the disc. The Kapps use the stereo covers with the wide radio label on the front cover and a white label disc.

Best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.