USB C Inputs a new standard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CARPEYOLO, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed that the new macbook that apple released has 1 USB C (USB 3.1) Port. That's it. The port provides power, video out...basically everything. You need an adapter to connect your other components to the computer.

Like them or not, Apple is a trendsetter and this decision on their part means something for the world of computing and electronics. And it seems as though Apple is all in on this one as opposed to Thunderbolt.

Is USB C good or bad for the world of audio and hi-fi? Do you buy a new integrated amp that doesn't include a USB C port or wait?

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What does it look like?

3. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It means you have to carry around another piece of equipment (like a hub) because your main device won't have enough ports already installed.

No thank you. Give me 3 ports or I'm not buying.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It kind of stops dead my consideration of buying a couple of new 4TB HDD with Thunderbolt connection. My 2TB units are FireWire/USB 2.0 and because FireWire seems virtually dead and if I upgraded my Mac Mini I was figuring Thunderbolt HDD would somewhat "future proof" me but alas with this stuff don't turn your head because the new "standard" will be right behind you.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Audioquest is licking their chops right now.

Shawn, russk and MonkeyMan like this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think this is a pretty specialized device, in all but name it's the Macbook Air, a minimalist, streamlined device. I'm sure the MacBook Pros will remain fully-functional.

MrRom92 likes this.
  8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So, they're abandoning Thunderbolt?... Really???

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No, they're not. They announced Thunderbolt 3 in fact! I have a feeling Lightening might be done though, and good riddance.

Really when you think about it, Thunderbolt occupies the space Firewire used to - a sort of niche interface for those with the need and willing to pay a higher price.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    gregorya likes this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Good to hear, appreciate the reassurance.

Sincerely,
    Chicken Little

;)

quicksrt and Mister Charlie like this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Well, it shouldn't, as Thunderbolt 2 (the current standard) is 2x faster then USB-C. (20mb/s vs. 10mb/s of USB-C and 3.1).

Keep in mind that these connections aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure most Apple computers will have both connectors. I think USB-C is mostly about simplifying interfaces to remove the power port concept then eliminating all other cables. I'm sure most PC laptops will use C exclusively, as Thunderbolt was rare on PCs to begin with.

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Actually Google announced new Chromebooks yesterday with the same connector yesterday as well. This is actually a very exciting development in the portable device world. Don't discount it until you consider the real ramifications.

1. NOT an Apple proprietary interface. USB-C has broad backing and will be everywhere.
    2. USB3, Displayport, HDMI, power all using the same cable, and they are all bi-directional.
    3. Capable of moving 100w of power either from either direction.
    4. Reversible plug.

The same cable will be used to connect from your power brick to your device that you will use to connecto to a monitor, or external drive, or camera or iPad or whatever. Sure you will need dongles to connect legacy equipment, but in the future your cables will be universal.

If one takes off the old school blinders, this is a huge deal going forward.

sunspot42, Shawn and MrRom92 like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think Thunderbolt and the Mag-safe connector are dead. Apple definitely aren't afraid to say goodbye to their own (outdated and unnecessary) technologies.

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Will the USB-C's provide better quality audio?

15. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

But I have a question. I've had to replace the power supply on my laptop because of loading it down by powering other devices like the cooling pads that go under it powered by USB. Are they going to make more robust power supplies so this doesn't happen? Yes, it's convenient, but shelling out $80 for a new power supply is not.

16. CARPEYOLO

If Apple is leaving their proprietary technology off of their new computers, then it doesn't bode well for Thunderbolt. I have a 2011 macbook pro with a thunderbolt port and I've never used it.

17. CARPEYOLO

This is a good question and makes me wonder if it is even worth buying new gear that lacks the USB C port. Especially if you're like me and buy gear to last at least 5 years if not 20.

18. BayouTiger

Of course Thunderbolt is not an Apple technology, but Intel's it is available on some PCs and motherboards and is used in many high end devices for video production from companies like BlackMagic. I love my Pegasus Thunderbolt array. It also allows things like external video cards. Also seeing more applications using the Mini DisplayPort that no one but Apple used for years, my Surface3 has one.

Thunderbolt is getting even faster and Apple also just upgraded the MacBook Airs to TB2.

BTW, if you use two Macs, a thunderbolt bridge between then allows amazingly fast transfers.

Rolltide likes this.
  19. CARPEYOLO

I was misinformed as to the origins of Thunderbolt. Thanks for clarifying.

But does is it not an ominous sign for the technology that Apple is leaving it on the cutting room floor with their new macbooks?

20. james

james Summon The Queen

Everytime a new standard is announced, everyone is concerned and annoyed. It's understandable. Don't hate Apple or Google for it, though. It's better that they improve than stagnate.

I basically allow any piece of hardware a 3 year life expectancy. The hardware and it's peripherals. If you have an expensive external device that is too costly to replace, hopefully an adaptor exists for that bus...but plan on a 3 year lifespan (if you're not talking business class servers).

Every hurdle we go through is usually worth it in tht long run.

21. BayouTiger

This unit is an ultra portable, kinda a go between the iPad and More high powered MacBook Airs and Pros. I would expect it to push the Airs out, but it's not close to the Pros. I would expect the next Pro to have TB3 and multiple USB-C ports.

sunspot42 and Rolltide like this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

More on topic and related to the OP's question: it would be interesting to hear how the spec compares to the USB we know, for ease of USB DAC implementation

CARPEYOLO likes this.
  23. BayouTiger

Agree, though the advanced interface give even better opportunities for adapters to keep old devices useful. I can still access FireWire via TB via an adapter. I could even still use my old SCSI cards or even PCMCIA cards via boxes from companies like a Sonnet.

24. james

james Summon The Queen

SCSI? Damn. What was Jimmy Carter like?

I hear you, though. I just recently got a new MBP. The number of adapters I have to run monitors, hard drives and ETHERNET is...less than elegant.

But man, that machine ZIPS. That SSD drive...couldn't live without now

25. BayouTiger

The dongle issue is just part of the industry these days. Even on desktops I am always needing some sort of adapter, particularly with video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.