USB C Inputs a new standard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CARPEYOLO, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Don't trust this site! Tastes just like cloud.

stereoptic likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Invariably, when I show up at some conference room to connect my computer, the monitor doesn't have an interface that matches my computer's, and I end up having to use some kind of dongle. Which I lug around with me. So, I'm already used to this. As far as I'm concerned, bring on USB-C. At least it sounds like this dongle will last me for a decade, since USB-C is likely to be around a lot longer - and be more widely adopted - than standards like Display Port, Mini Display Port, or Thunderbolt.

Apple know they have a huge influence on the market now. If they want to make USB-C a "thing", fast, the best way to do that is to immediately strip other interfaces off of their new systems - although I suspect Thunderbolt will remain on the Macbook Pro and Mac Pro, since it's required for driving large high-res displays.

Jobs did the same thing with the original iMac and everybody pissed and moaned relentlessly. But it worked, and Apple's decision greatly fostered the adoption of the original USB, which had been languishing a bit in the PC market up to that point.

Lightning's probably not going anywhere, though. Portable devices really don't need that kind of connection speed, and anyhow Apple is rapidly migrating toward wireless interfaces for data transmission. I wouldn't be surprised to see them push wireless video as well, as soon as that becomes a bit more practical. The arrival of wireless video will signal the death knell for wired connectivity in general... USB-C will likely be the last major wired computer interface standard, at least for the next decade, and will persist toward the end of its lifespan mostly because of its ability to deliver large amounts of power.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think if you have both an HDMI connection or a DVI connection, you'll be able hook in. Getting the audio in may require some invention, though, if you also need external audio.

I'm not convinced the current Apple represents the kinds of things that Steve Jobs did then or would do today.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Nope. Then they'll only have VGA.

It's some corollary to Murphy's Law, I'm certain.

I'm amazed by how little Apple has changed in his absence. Of course, much of what they did for the decade before his departure was really the work of Tim Cook, Johnny Ive and other remaining executives, so perhaps that shouldn't be surprising. Cook in particular is the operations wiz who configured Apple to become the near-flawless execution machine it is today.

5. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident Thread Starter

I beg to differ. In the last year I've had multiple calls with apple support, spent a day figuring out why time machine was no longer working, spent 3 days figuring out why my itunes was automatically resetting my password and locking me out of icloud (big problem), have had my macbook screen turn to puzzle piece pixels and shut down multiple times, my iPHONE sucks at making PHONE calls, my icloud email (which I pay for) has gone down for a day at a time and I'll get emails 12 hours too late etc. etc.

The products and services are too complicated and have more issues these days than ever before.

I'm tired of people pretending that Apple product "just work". As an Apple user for the last 30 years, I know for certain that statement not to be true.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On a big screen at a presentation? Bring your own monitor. The differences between DVI and SVGA are gigantic and unsubtle.

I'm not as impressed, and I see a lot of flaws getting worse -- particularly in the operating system and Apple's lack of interest in developing the professional market for artists, musicians, and filmmakers.[/quote][/QUOTE]

quicksrt likes this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The most important role that Steve Jobs performed at Apple that can't be replaced with Cook and Ive is saying "No, that's not a good idea, we're not doing that". He micro-managed in other ways as well, and was very hard to please, but I think his ability to nix things was his biggest asset to the company.

This puts me in a great position to assume anything I don't like about modern Apple wouldn't have occurred under Steve. Anything I don't like I get to blame on an auburn fan - great position for any redneck to find themselves in.

BayouTiger likes this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Apple only went into those markets when Microsoft blocked them from their real goal - computing devices for the masses. Jobs knew you couldn't serve both masters perfectly. Now that their iDevices have given them a shot at gobbling up the mass market they're sidelining direct support for pro users (although I suspect third parties will pick most of that up, given Apple's robust and expanding market share).

The reality is, consumer devices are so powerful now they're defacto "pro" devices - a trend that's likely to accelerate down the road.

Oh, I think they're both cognizant of that. Also, keep in mind Cook could have convinced Jobs some markets weren't worth pursuing for operational reasons...

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I like all of my apple stuff. Generally always works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.