Use a tablet with ethernet connection to stream and play files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Boulder Bob, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member Thread Starter

I am looking at using a tablet as a music player. I would like to play files and stream to my HiFi. There is no WiFi available but there is an Ethernet connection. I see there are adapters which will enable me to connect the tablet to the internet with an Ethernet cable. Now I need a line out to go to my integrated amp. I could use the 3/8" line out (headphone jack) but I was considering a D to A upgrade like a Dragonfly or something similar.

I am sort of an anti-Apple guy so I will probably go with a Android tablet. I see Foobar is now available for Android. I have been using Poweramp (not db Poweramp) on my phone with good results. I have also heard the Onkyo HF player is a good Android App for use with a USB out to a D to A.

One other question: are there enough ports on a tablet to use external storage? can I use a hub? would I need a hub with external power?

Can I do this? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

My advice would be not to do it if you can. That headphone jack is going to be disappointing under any circumstance, the Ethernet connection is shady business at best and I would link you are going to have storage issues with a tablet pretty quick.

What are you going into as far as a receiver or a DAC?

3. Boulder Bob

Vintage Pioneer SA-8500II - a nice amp. Should I go with a mini laptop then?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would, it is going to give you many more options including being able to spin and rip silver disks. The problem is the connection to the receiver. The laptop isn't going to have RCA outs and doing the converter cable from the mini is ultimately disappointing. The magic happens when you can go usb or optical from the computer to a DAC and then RCA from the DAC. Otherwise,the connection and the sound card in the computer is going to be a bottle neck.

I mean hell, if you want to get started by running from the 1/8 stereo mini have at it. I'm sure it will sound just like music, I did it for years. If you want it to sound as good or better than a standard CD player, you need the external DAC. You don't need to spend a bunch. Schiit has a good one for around $300.

Marco Benedetti likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Air play is rather simple.

Brother_Rael and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

would it have RCA outs for a vintage receiver or just the HDMI and optical?

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You could go the Windows tablet route as well + a dock (if that Ethernet connection is a must versus just connecting a Wifi router to that Ethernet connection). That gives you some of the advantages of a laptop but in a smaller touch-based footprint.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Boulder Bob

I am planning on using at least a Dragonfly

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Put that $100 towards a DAC unless you plan on using it with headphones a bunch. If you search for info on that dragonfly you won't find many people that like how it worked with a stereo system. Just my .02, I'm sure you'll have fun whatever you do.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd go Laptop here. And something with reasonable storage.

Boulder Bob and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I use a 13" dedicated laptop with Foobar as the media player....usb out to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 and from it via RCA cables to my SA 8800 amp that drives my Cornwalls. I have Foobar Controller Pro installed on my Android phone and an Android tablet to provide remote control and to browse my music files. Works and sounds great! This is the setup I use....any of the devices can be changed to you own preferences or budget.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    McLover likes this.
  12. Boulder Bob

I'll check into this
    sounds like a great setup and good advice

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

One more question, are you looking to mostly stream from Internet services or play saved music files?

14. Boulder Bob

it will be both - the purpose of the internet services is to find songs my wife likes that will ultimately end up as files - as high rez as possible

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Build yourself a Squeezebox Raspberry Pi, and use the tablet to control it! I realize you said there is no Wi-Fi available, but buy a $49 refurb Apple AirPort Express and create you're own Wi-Fi network from that single Ethernet connection. Then you can walk around wherever with the tablet, controlling the music that pumps out of the Pi, and directly into a Dragonfly or whatever.

My $29 Squeezebox replacement (Raspberry Pi + PiCorePlayer + Squeezelite) »

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Denis_hr

Denis_hr New Member

The original idea (music directly from tablet) will most likely be rather disappointing as far as the sound quality goes.

Like SamS above, I'd recommend a Raspberry Pi + dedicated Raspberry DAC (prices range from $20 to >$100 for the RasPi DAC), which will be controlled from a tablet (i.e. tablet used only as a kind of "remote control").

But, if you're not into fiddling with computers (with Raspberry there will usually be some fiddling), another option is to either use a small laptop with external USB DAC (prices from $20 on ebay to several hundred $$$), or a "thin client" fanless small computer, and use Daphile OS (free to use, downloadable from Net). Just put the image to a USB dongle, boot off the dongle, and you have a full Logitech Media Server + player, which can be easily set up - again you will need an external DAC to connect to the amp.

All 3 solutions (RasPi, laptop or a "thin client" fanless computer) will happily use Ethernet connection, which is generally recommended in case of streaming services, anyway (WiFi can sometimes lead to "stuttering" of audio signal in poor/crowded conditions).

17. Boulder Bob

thank you all for the great suggestions -

PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I've seen IPods and Tablets used a car radios. They actually remove the original stereo and install a tablet in its place.
    How do they do this and have it sound good, or does it just sound bad?

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

More than likely they are connected by the apple usb and not the 1/8 stereo Jack

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

When I stream podcasts, etc. in my bedroom, I use the Bluetooth feature on a tablet or if that ends up not connecting good, I go out of the computer speakers hooked up to my bedroom TV, turn the brightness and contrast all the way down on the TV and use the Roku for that.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

couldn't there be wi-fi available if you buy a router?

22. Boulder Bob

my wife does not want it in the house - concern about radiation.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

fair enough, that's one I don't thing we can overcome. I use and prefer a hard wired connection myself.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

But how would you connect USB to OEM wiring? Unless, the car is equipped with a USB pigtail.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's been ages since I looked into car audio abut I think it works like a docking station in the dash with all the necessary electrics behind it.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.