Use a tablet with ethernet connection to stream and play files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Boulder Bob, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Understood, but if she's concerned about that then there's more to really worry about. Your microwave oven, any CRT's (including old TV sets), even walking outside in the sun or the earth under your feet. I assume cellphones aren't permitted either?

Plus she'd still have to block your neighbor's Wifi somehow as that would still penetrate into your home. I have several signals coming into my house right now - it's literally quadrupled in the last decade. And the Wifi signals literally everywhere else while going about your day...other homes, businesses, retail stores etc.

Ntotrar, 905, anorak2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Someone had to say it. I agree 100%

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

come on now, you don't know what people have gone through to come to these conclusions. It is also like saying since there is already air pollution why not have a tire fire in the back yard?

4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The OPs wife's issues are a paranoid delusion. There is no reality involved. It's well documented woo along the lines of chemtrails, "Essential oils" and other "alternative" medicine (aka snake oil), the whole "vaccines cause autism", etc. OP: hope you don't have granite countertops in your home - granite is a big radiation source.

Assuming you have cat5/6 cable going through the house; you can get a SAN storage device with a DLNA server and connect it to your router or switch by an ethernet cable. Then get some kind of DLNA compatible player and connect it to your stereo. Easy peasy.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well this thread just took an unexpected turn.

Gaslight and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

my fault, I thought there might be a technical issue with Wi-Fi that could be helped

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't understand this comment. An Ethernet connection is faster and more reliable than any wi-fi link . Spending money to put a wi-fi adapter on the Ethernet link is like insisting the fire department add a collapsable garden hose to the end of their own hoses before putting out the fire.

PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was talking about the adapter needed to make the Ethernet connection a possibility with a tablet.

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I don't know about Android tablets, but with a Windows tablet it's ludicrously easy and not shady at all to install a USB Ethernet dongle. Super easy and fast as lightning, although the 5KHz Wifi Connection through a good router should be more than adequate. Nothing beats good ol' copper for ethernet.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

good to know. By comparison, I would take the straight connection to the laptop.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nah, it's insisting the fire department bring a 1000ft hose extension to add to the 10ft one hooked up to the hydrant.

I love Ethernet, and any device that "sits still" in my house will use Ethernet vs. Wi-Fi. But the beauty of a tablet is it's portability. If it's going to be tethered by a cord, might as well get a mini-desktop and smallish monitor.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

if you have Bllue tooth on the tablet you could get a Blue tooth adapter for the Hi Fi

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. SFCable

SFCable Active Member

There is converter available which you can use ethernet connection with tablet. Just search suitable converter on google.

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Or, you could plug a CD player into your SA-8500II. :)

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Some tablets will offer expandable storage options (I use a Lenovo A10) so you can build up a selection of micro-SD cards to use.

Onkyo's HF player is indeed excellent. Very good features (FLAC, DSD) and great EQ options. Nice interface too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.