Used Clearaudio Concept

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jasonb, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a couple of used Clearaudio Concepts out there at the moment for around $1100/1200 without cartridge (Verify arm). On the edge of jumping on one but there's also the new Rega P3 at that price. I realize the P6 is more at the Concepts level for comparison and there's a few threads that I keep reading but any other thoughts at this price range? Thanks.

2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

There's quite a few nice deals out there now in the ~$1000 price range, or at least seemingly more than in recent years.

Looks like the Thorens TD 206/209 is being blown out right now at under $1000, pretty nice table that originally retailed for around $1600.

Many people have gotten great deals on the Marantz TT-15S1, around $1200 NIB. It's a Clearaudio table with the Satisfy tonearm and pretty nice MM cartridge, so a very solid package if you like the looks. It's got an isolated AC synchronous motor as opposed to the DC motor on the Concept and on the Thorens, so no electronic control but very quiet. It also supports the ceramic magnetic bearing upgrade for the platter too, which came standard on my Clearaudio table, but kind of pricey.

Lots more on the new side, and a mountain of great tables available on the vintage side at that price, but all depends on your comfort zone.

Jasonb likes this.
  3. Jasonb

Thanks. Not thought about the Marantz. The local dealer was always steering me to the Regas and not that turntable. Surely they wouldn't use the satisfy arm?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    H8SLKC likes this.
  4. Davey

It is the Satisfy, it's the lower cost aluminum version, the same one that is about a $400 option on the Concept. The Marantz has always been a really nice deal, I have the more expensive carbon fiber version on my Avantgarde and it's a nice tonearm.

H8SLKC and Jasonb like this.
  5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I've been quite happy with my TT15, which I picked up here on SH for $1000 NIB.

H8SLKC, Jasonb and Davey like this.
  6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'll join in as a very happy owner of a Marantz TT-15S1, which does indeed come with the black aluminum Satisfy tonearm and Virtuoso ebony wood cartridge. I think it's an amazing bargain (Davey does a great job describing it above). It blows away my previous turntable (Thorens).

Craig.

Jasonb likes this.
  7. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I owned both the Concept and TT15S1 and personally I didn't care for the Verify arm in the Conecept. I had only paid $800 for the Concept and even then didn't keep it. Motor was too noisy for my liking, anti-skate was a pain to set if you change the cartridge . If you buy it new with a preinstalled cartridge and never plan in upgrading it, then it might be a different story.

As life has intervened and has cut into my listening time, I have seriously considered selling my current rig and grabbing a TT15S1 again. It's more than good enough for most peoples needs.

Jasonb likes this.
  8. Jasonb

Thanks for the comments. I see a VPI Scout on Audiogon that is tempting also. The Marantz has a lot going for it especially as I'd need a cartridge for the VPI.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  9. Davey

Are you just using the phono stage in your Marantz now? What is your ultimate budget for new table and cartridge (and potentially new phono stage later)? There are quite a few Scout users around here, and seemingly quite a few for sale too, guess many use it as a stepping stone to the next level.

10. Jasonb

No I was now considering the TT-15 as it's a complete package. I have a Lounge preamp if that's what you're asking. Budget around $1500 with cartridge, although the Scout has many fans.

11. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The Scout is a great table.

12. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I’ve been eyeing the Scout as my endgame table. Most seem to love VPI tables but for someone like me who has never actually set up or installed a cart on a table, I’m leery.

13. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I went from the TT15S1 to a Scout and it is an improvement. There is a Scout on eBay from a dealer, Plateau Audio (aslater) who I actually sold my Classic to. Alan is a stand up guy from my experience. The Agon one has the Gingko Cloud, I had it with my Scout and I didn't care for it, I thought it was better sounding without it. Another great deal is Echo Audio has a Clearaudio Maestro V1 new/sealed for $595.

Used Scout 1.1 pricing has been all over the place but they usual sell for 1100-1500 and 1000-1300 for original Scout (Acrylic Platter).

Jasonb likes this.
  14. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Speaking of deals on ClearAudio Concept, anyone have opinions of the new one's on eBay with cart for $1,200 shipped from UK?

15. Jasonb

I saw that on too. Why not the one for $1151.76 on eBay. I'm near the Music Room in Colorado and they test them and give a return policy. I was going to get it but I'm still thinking!!
    Edit, I see that one does have a cartridge so sounds like a good deal. Probably cheaper in Europe as it's German

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  16. Jasonb

That's one thing I don't mind especially with an alignment protractor. Even with pre aligned set ups I still check.

17. Jasonb

Also one for $1750 (offers) and free shipping. Alan is selling as is with no returns. Other one is no returns either.

18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Michell Gyro SE; try to find one used- it's a killer soundwise.

Jasonb and Fishoutofwater like this.
  19. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

I've owned both the Marantz and the Concept. It's a toss-up as far as sound but as dolsey01 noted above, the Concept's anti-skate adjustment is a total PITA on the older models because it's on the bottom of the plinth. There is an revised Concept (not the Wood model, but an updated standard) where the anti-skate adjustment has been moved to the back of the plinth. The Satisfy arm on the Marantz has an ingenious and very easy to use anti-skate adjustment.

Cosmetically, I like the Concept more and will likely one day replace the Verify tonearm with a Satisfy. I should also point out that I replaced the $200 cartridge that came with the Concept and the Marantz comes with a beauty of a cart as standard issue, which is a very definite good thing.

As for the British seller on eBay, I've corresponded with them as they were offering good prices on the Clearaudio Wood with Satisfy arm. I wound up convincing myself not to spend the money but I didn't get any scammy vibes and a Google search didn't turn up any issues.

Jasonb likes this.
  20. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've used a TT-15 for more than a year now. While its looks are polarizing, it is a helluva turntable and a tremendous bargain. Acrylic plinth and silicone-infused acrylic platter, all machined beautifully. The bearing and fitment are so precise that with the belt off, you can start the platter turning, step a few feet away, and cannot even tell it's turning. Others have noted the wonderful Satisfy tonearm, about which I have not one single complaint and which uses jeweled bearing surfaces. Even the head shell is ingenious. The motor is quiet and air gapped. The cherry on top is a well-regarded cartridge thrown in, all for a normally-available price of $1100-1200.

Jasonb likes this.
  21. Jasonb

Well after the usual head scratching I jumped up and bought a used VPI Scout. I'm sure all the VPI fans will be nodding their heads! Just need a cartridge (Black?)

CraigVC, vinylvin and punkmusick like this.
  22. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

Jasonb likes this.
  23. Davey

Sounds like a good deal. SHTV Member Goldprint Audio had a nice Aries just up on audiogon yesterday for a good price but it sold fast, very nice table, a little older but they age well... VPI Industries Aries 2 Extremely nice!!! | Turntables | Audiogon

Anyone still in the market for a Clearaudio, there's a Concept Wood with carbon fiber Satisfy arm on USAM right now listed for $1600... Clearaudio Concept Wood - Photo1920041 ... just fyi, no stake in this but could be a nice deal, doesn't have much of a cartridge, though.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Jasonb likes this.
  24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I’ve never understood all the high praise the Rega gets. I bought an RP3 and TTPSU and didn’t care for it at all. Felt really cheaply made. Hated the no torque aspect of the drive.
    I wish I had bought the Concept that was my other option at the time.

25. Jasonb

A Marantz TT-15S1 just went for $840 on eBay today with a Maestro cartridge. If I hadn't bought the VPI I think I may have bid on that.

BayouTiger and riverrat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.