used DCC gold at Acoustic Sounds...

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by CraigVC, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

My understanding was that a sizable collection was sold to them about a week ago....

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What's odd is that the many titles (including most that are left) are priced at about fair market value, or a bit higher. Seems like about a dozen or so were priced extremely low compared to going rates.

3. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

"Hello,
    Thanks very much for your order but the sales for the used Gold CD's exceeded our wildest imagination and we have already sold out of the items you requested. I'm terribly sorry we were unable to fulfill your request. I look forward to possibly serving you in the future.
    Thanks once again,
    Lessa
    "

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This should be fun...

Attached Files:

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Ah, the mind of the collector....

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Per the website, they cancelled my Deep Purple Made in Japan and Beach Boys Endless Summer but the rest of the order is at the warehouse "being packaged for shipment" so hopefully I'll get Spirit of America at least...

7. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Yeah, I got the same email. I wonder what time the cds began getting listed on the Acoustic Sounds website? Craig posted his note at 11:18 pm, I ordered five gold cds at 11:27 pm and got absolutely nothing!

8. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

yep, mine are cancelled as well.

oh well!

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

A Night At The Opera for $125? Maybe I should sell them the one I bought at FYE a couple of weeks ago and paid $19.99 for... well actually I used a coupon so it was $10.80. Came with the slipcase too.

Well, you're better off with the regular Capitol version of Spirit Of America, because of substitutions made on the DCC version.

10. Means I should be getting the cancellation email n-e minute now...

:(

-s1m0n-

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member Thread Starter

The times above are EST. I received an Acoustic Sounds newsletter email at 6:06 pm PST (9:06 pm EST), and it contained the link to this DCC gold CD sale.

I didn't actually click on the link until about 8 pm PST, so it was up at least two hours prior to my posting this thread. And likely many hours (if not days) prior to that.

My guess is that the DCC gold CDs were sitting on their site for sale most of the day on Monday.

As of this writing, the available titles at that link is down to 43 Products.

Craig.

12. I got the email too:

Hello,Thanks very much for your order but the sales for the used Gold CD's exceeded our wildest imagination and we have already sold out of the items you requested. I'm terribly sorry we were unable to fulfill your request. I look forward to possibly serving you in the future.Thanks once again,

Hey, Acoustic Sounds, here's an idea - take the $$$ you made off this sale and hire a web designer so that, once a product is sold out, it's removed from the web page (or says it's sold out) so you won't frustrate tons of potential customers. This is e-commerce 101 folks. What a concept, huh?

13. CraigVC

It's not a web designer issue. It's a problem of the backend system that the website is based on. But your general point is still valid.

It's unfortunate that they've got a beta version of their new front-end makeover out there, but they apparently didn't think to fix a fundamental back-end flaw in how orders are processed, so that the status of items can be updated in real time as orders are placed. (Or maybe they thought about doing it but decided not to for some reason?)

In fact, I think they could really boost sales of their out-of-print/used items if the displayed "## available at this price" on each product page. If the number is low enough, that would be sure to encourage someone who's on the fence about adding the item to their cart and buying it that moment, rather than waiting and risking a sellout.

Whether they display the number of items available, they at least should do this: If available stock drops down to "0," the status of the product should immediately change from "In stock" to "Sold out." (And available stock should only be subtracted after the customer does all of the following: adds item to cart, checks out, payment is processed and approved.)

Craig.

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I didn't even notice the link at the bottom of the newsletter. It's not a big ad like the last time.

Hopefully you guys got a couple you were looking for :thumbsup:

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So you're the one who actually GOT "Ringo"? When did you order? I put in my order right around 11:20 EDT Monday and I was denied.

Methinks I was the first SHF person to shoot for it, but not the first person overall - someone would've found it through other means and not just here.

Still pretty disappointing since "Ringo" is the only DCC I don't have but REALLY want! :(

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I got a copy of Sonny Rollins Tenor Madness for $50. Been looking for that one!

17. TSmithPage

My order just arrived, with 3 of the 5 DCC golds I ordered all in the box. The CDs all looked good and came in the DCC slipcases. None appear to have been cut-outs either. Wish I'd have been a bit quicker on the draw for the Beach Boys Endless Summer and Deep Purple Live but I'm content...

18. CraigVC

:righton:

Glad others on these forums got some good deals!

It still stings a bit that I let the cat out of the bag without pouncing on it myself first (that's an ugly, mangled metaphor :laugh: ), but I console myself with the happiness of others. ;)

Craig.

19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

You're a stand-up guy, Craig. Even though I was a few minutes late to the party to end up with anything, I appreciate your heads-up on the deal. :righton:

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Which ones did you get? I'm hoping my Sonny Rollins arrives today.

21. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

There is a definitive honor among us thieves. A few years ago, I was at a record show, and there was a lovely woman, with her equally lovely young daughter, selling DCCs for ridiculously low prices. How does $20 for sealed Hotel California, all the CCRs, etc. sound? You get the picture.

Anyway, I grabbed three or four of 'em, and was going to scarf up the rest. However, I just knew, sixth sense or something, that my good friend Jerry was going to come to the show. So, I left several of them there, and, lo and behold, he showed up a bit later and grabbed them for himself.

Post-script: Jerry and I, being honest guys, both told her that the discs were significantly underpriced. At the next show, they were back, and the prices were at the least tripled.

No good deed.....

22. TSmithPage

As noted at page 1 of this thread, I received Sinatra Duets II (seems far less common than Duets I), Blues Hoot, and Beach Boys Spirit of America.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't know if it was mentioned, but many of the discs pictured appear to be shrinkwrapped. However, the booklets are showing through the die-cut windows. That suggests reseals.

24. Good pick up!

Looks like my first order was cancelled but the second shipped. It includes one DCC (Elton John Hits) and a bunch of other gold discs. Should arrive today or tomorrow. Good stuff, thanks OP :)

-s1m0n-

25. TSmithPage

The site said they were used and never claimed they were sealed. Mine had the wrap on the slipcovers but were all open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.